Anyone Gone From a Powerful Turbo Car To a 350Z?

Tricky-Ricky

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 280bhp s14a 200sx about a year ago. I have only had my Z for 4 days.

The turbo certainly provides a lot of punch in the back due to the way there is a swell of power, but the Z not only feels fast but also proves to be travelling faster than it is. The sound and progressive power delivery also encourages mento rev it more than I did the 200sx (I used to find it quite unrewarding over 5000rpms).

Not stritly related to your question, but the all round package of the Z also gives me more confidence to exploit the engine ie ride, brakes etc.

And of course it picks up beautifully in any gear...

i had a evo 4, with 320bhp, so fast it was unreal.

the zed is slower, but ten times more fun. you have to think about every mm of throttle,

when your putting the power down. its more of a drivers car.

i dont think i would go back to 4x4. im tempted to go rwd turbo B)

but i wouldnt change my evo experiance for anythink. good times

I had an impreza wrx sti

It was lightening acceleration but I got really bored of driving it as I was constantly changing gear... STI is a 2 litre though, I would imagine your 3.0l Supra was a lot quicker than the Zed ? Ive owned a 3.0l non turbo aero top Supra and loved it... I do prefer the Zed slightly but I would like to own a Supra Twin Turbo one day...

:thumbs:

Ive owned a 3.0l non turbo aero top Supra and loved it... I do prefer the Zed slightly :thumbs:

Interesting, just how much difference did you notice between the two, i presume it wasn't directly before owning the 350Z?

I found the two cars pretty similar

order went

Supra 3.0l injection

WRX STI

Civic Type R

350z

I didnt enjoy the smaller engine cars at all which is why I bought the Zed, torque means more to me than acceleration and you get that in abundance in the Supra and Zed

:thumbs:

I also used to have a quite heavly tunned Fiat coupe 20VT.

I do miss the way you got a massive thump in the back as the turbo kicked, and it nearlly always shocked passengers who hadn't been in the car before :)

The possitive is also the negative, as you don't get that frustrating lag with the 350z NA engine, and you can be much more acurate applying the throttle as the response is more instant an linear. Think the 350Z is a nice engine - it pulls really well through the rev range. Overall a much more fun driving package from my point of view :)

As far as turbo cars i have had the better ones are

200sx s14a 290bhp

skyline r33 gtst 390bhp

fiat coupe 2ovt LE 270bhp

200sx s14a with skyline rb25det engine 360bhp

Now i have the Z i do miss the extra power, delivery of power and sound of the external wastegate but i do prefer the Z all round, brakes, handling, relaibility and looks B)

Coops :thumbs:

The Z wont be N/A for too much longer RB26dett or S/Charge, TT the original ;)

I had a Vauxhall VX220 Turbo previously - at 200 hp not strictly a really powerful car but given the low mass it did have a higher power-to-weight ratio than 350Z (215 hp per tonne for the VXT).

The 350Z lacks the immediacy of the VXT but ain't slow by any means. However, the 350Z does feel particulary torquey and the power is very useable on the road. I do miss the 'kick in the back of the head' acceleration that the VXT could provide... but now I'm simply enjoying a different kind of power delivery... they are both great.

I must admit that I did hesitate to buy a 350Z because it does not do 0-60 as fast as a VXT... looking back... that's not really the way to look at things I suppose..!?... Really glad I've got the 350Z.

I had an RX7 with 360BHP before my Z. I do miss the massive acceleration when the 2nd turbo kicked in, but given that you could only use it in a straight line on an absolutely dry road, I normally had to drive it on 3/4 throttle. No TC in the 7!

The Z is far more useable and friendly as an everyday car, and the torque is great. I don't really miss the speed except on track. I think the Z is quick enough for the real world and everyday driving. And if not, there's always a SC! The noise is far better too B)

They're completely different animals. I also own a 400 bhp Evo V1 and the acceleration is so much more vivid than the Zed. The Zed, however, is more linear and a more rewarding drive insomuch as you can't just nail the throttle like you can in the Evo. It's also a much much nicer everyday drive. My Evo has RS gearing and at 80mph is doing 4000 rpm!!

Its great to hear all the varied opinions, and very subjective, but the general consensus is

that the 350Z is a very rewarding car to drive/live with, and the other plus point is that the fuel economy seems a lot better, well it would,

I guess for me its a case of weighing up missing the warp speed acceleration against being able to physically see the fuel gauge going down on the Supra :wacko:

I started with a standard 200SX many years ago. It evolved over the years from standard to a dedicated track car which makes around 580bhp now, with dog box, cage, coilovers etc - horrible on the road now, but very quick on track.

I think the 350z makes an excellent road car - pretty good on fuel, easy to drive around at low rpm with enough torque to pull you along. Great handling as standard too. I do miss the mid range torque of a turbo charged engine though.

The 350z is going to be an on going project - I'll probably keep it as a fairly sensible road car for a while and then tune the engine for track use.

I started with a standard 200SX many years ago. It evolved over the years from standard to a dedicated track car which makes around 580bhp now, with dog box, cage, coilovers etc - horrible on the road now, but very quick on track.

I think the 350z makes an excellent road car - pretty good on fuel, easy to drive around at low rpm with enough torque to pull you along. Great handling as standard too. I do miss the mid range torque of a turbo charged engine though.

The 350z is going to be an on going project - I'll probably keep it as a fairly sensible road car for a while and then tune the engine for track use.

Hi Jez how are you doing, presuming you're the Jez from SXOC? and if so are you thinking about chipping ;):D

Hi Jez how are you doing, presuming you're the Jez from SXOC? and if so are you thinking about chipping ;):D

Yes, its me :)

And yes I am ;)

LOL! in that case i may hang on a bit, was going to go the piggyback route, when i find a suitable Z,

Will it be for the JDM ECU or do you think you can crack the UK one with its wideband feedback etc?

One thing that supprised me living with the Z day to day was the road noise... On the motorway its pretty loud. Worth considering if you you do a lot of motorway miles...

Tyres make a difference. Some are noisier than others. You can look at more damping to eliminate more noise.

I came from a Leon Cupra R - With a stage 1 remap. So around 260bhp

When I took the Z for a test I had a bit of a shock. I planted my foot at about 2.5k revs and thought it was broken!

The Z doesn't have anywhere near the low down pull of the leon. But that's the nature of the turbo. It's not to say the leon was faster. I'd probably say they were pretty similar if you'd chuck them side by side in a rolling drag race. But you don't get the same sort of pull from the engine until you're well into 4k revs. However, the zed keeps on trucking until 6.3krpm before power starts to trail off a bit. The leon would trail noticeably by 5.5k. You could rev it to 6, but there was little point, other than when changing up, you'd drop it back higher into the powerband.

Comparing the leon to the 350 I think is like comparing the 350 to the S2000, but with the roles reversed.

Of course, mid range pull was literally the only thing it has on the 350. Noise, traction, handling, looks, everything else is leagues ahead.

Oh, maybe not the boot space :D