Import V UK?

Tricky-Ricky

Just wondering other than the obvious suspension and ECU differences, are there any others to bare in mind when looking with a view to buying?

I presume the import will require 98-99 RON fuel and the UK can cope with 95 RON fine?

and i also presume the import will be more expensive to insure, average costs for insurance or a link would be helpful :)

The reason i remarked on the UK and fuel is due to it having widband lambda, and so should have no problems with lower grade petrol unlike the import which will be mapped for 100 RON.

I also agree with the comments about BP ultimate, i have noticed better fuel figures even with my Supra :)

So far from reading and comments i have gleaned that although the JDM model is in basic form less speced than the UK, however as with most Japanese import cars, they can come in almost any trim level that the UK can, and sometimes some nice things that the UKs don't.

I put optimax in my import for the first few months but then switched to 95 pretty much all the time as I found I got better mpg with the 95. It also felt better with 95 in rush hour traffic.

You're right about the spec-it depends which one you go for. St is the highest and basically the same as gt but no cruise, but you can get some nice extras such as auto folding mirrors

I put optimax in my import for the first few months but then switched to 95 pretty much all the time as I found I got better mpg with the 95. It also felt better with 95 in rush hour traffic.

You're right about the spec-it depends which one you go for. St is the highest and basically the same as gt but no cruise, but you can get some nice extras such as auto folding mirrors

I imagine that the ECU in the import is capable of switching maps if it is continually fed with 95 RON, it will just keep pulling timing until its forced to use a default map by the det sensors going all the time.

It probably will feel better in slow stop start traffic because it will be running retarded ignition timing, but it will not do much for the high RPM band.

I imagine that the ECU in the import is capable of switching maps if it is continually fed with 95 RON, it will just keep pulling timing until its forced to use a default map by the det sensors going all the time.

It probably will feel better in slow stop start traffic because it will be running retarded ignition timing, but it will not do much for the high RPM band.

high det ignition map pulls around 5 degrees of ignition timing in relation to low det map , also running 95 octane in a high compression motor is a no go I am afraid. Car will self learn the ignition your see around -30 bhp on a dyno run running 95 octane.

Mapped a few cars to run on 95 octane thou , they run around 260ish bhp after setting up.

Mark

high det ignition map pulls around 5 degrees of ignition timing in relation to low det map , also running 95 octane in a high compression motor is a no go I am afraid. Car will self learn the ignition your see around -30 bhp on a dyno run running 95 octane.

Mapped a few cars to run on 95 octane thou , they run around 260ish bhp after setting up.

Mark

How does it affect torque Mark? I think most of us on the here go for the thrill of acceleration on the road (attributable to torque AFAIK) rather than top speed (where you need HP). I'm not trying to be clever but I just wondered if that's the reason why we daily drivers don't notice an appreciable difference with the higher octane fuel.

you will find all your answers and more in the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) section but you car will run on 95 fine (ignition will self adjust) the suspension is stiffer then the uk counterparts I believe (harsher ride but better handling) the fuel tank is a lot larger on the JDMs. Insurance will cost a little more than the UK versions but not much - look at Bell insurance (easy tick box quote) being an import most insurers dont like them although 99% of car indentical - infact JDM version limited to 112 mph (as are all jap cars) but this is removed when its converted to read mph during your SVA.

Also look out for when the car was registered (imported) into the UK - needs to be before 2006 to get cheaper road fund licence (dont know exact date )

you will find all your answers and more in the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) section but you car will run on 95 fine (ignition will self adjust) the suspension is stiffer then the uk counterparts I believe (harsher ride but better handling) the fuel tank is a lot larger on the JDMs. Insurance will cost a little more than the UK versions but not much - look at Bell insurance (easy tick box quote) being an import most insurers dont like them although 99% of car indentical - infact JDM version limited to 112 mph (as are all jap cars) but this is removed when its converted to read mph during your SVA.

Also look out for when the car was registered (imported) into the UK - needs to be before 2006 to get cheaper road fund licence (dont know exact date )

The speed limiter removal is not part of the sva. You need to buy a HKS defender for about £250.

The speed limiter removal is not part of the sva. You need to buy a HKS defender for about £250.

Edited:

Thats i bit pricey, you can buy a converter/delimiter from Thor in the UK for about £100 (there are some cheaper versions) also most importers that sell in the UK will have already put the car through an SVA and delimited the car before offering for sale.

Thats i bit pricey, you can buy a converter/delimiter from Thor in the UK for about £100 (there are some cheaper versions) also most importers that sell in the UK will have already put the car through an SVA before offering for sale.

The delimiters by Thor, are they for Supra's though? Here is the HKS one on Envys site:

http://z-store.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseacti ... rentCat=26

Not sure what your point about the importers is though.....of course most will have sva'd the car......my point was that removing the limit is not part of the sva.... :)

Mark

How does it affect torque Mark? I think most of us on the here go for the thrill of acceleration on the road (attributable to torque AFAIK) rather than top speed (where you need HP). I'm not trying to be clever but I just wondered if that's the reason why we daily drivers don't notice an appreciable difference with the higher octane fuel.

As BHP is calculated through torque produced, any drop in BHP will inevitably be due to a drop in torque, however at lower RPM it will not be as noticeable due to the larger motors higher reciprocating mass etc, if it was a 1.6 or 2lt it would be much more noticeable.

Thats i bit pricey, you can buy a converter/delimiter from Thor in the UK for about £100 (there are some cheaper versions) also most importers that sell in the UK will have already put the car through an SVA before offering for sale.

The delimiters by Thor, are they for Supra's though? Here is the HKS one on Envys site:

http://z-store.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseacti ... rentCat=26

Not sure what your point about the importers is though.....of course most will have sva'd the car......my point was that removing the limit is not part of the sva.... :)

Sorry was thinking of Supra wen i mentioned Thor for delimiter, but there are much cheaper delimiters available, edited my other post now, what i meant was that most importers will have also delimited the car as well as SVAing before sale in the UK.