Has anyone turbo'd their Zed?

ZedJohn

im sure there is a guy on here running the APS turbos.....( thats shocking i cant remember his name, he has a silver zed :lol: )

Also ZmanAlex runs a turbo set up along with Kev at Envy performance who runs the power enterprise twin turbo

a few of us are heading down the Vortech supercharger route at the moment :thumbs:

Paul

What are the advantages of the supercharger route compare to the twin turbos? Reading the pitch in that article, you don't need to much additional work with the turbos whereas I thought you had to do a lot more (I could be wrong) with the supercharger.

agree with what nurrish said,

i think the turbo route requires a lot more work.

i also think that the supercharger route is more in keeping with the zed, giving a more linear power delivery all the way through the rev range unlike a turbo which is only on the power once in boost.

down side is less torque,

I would of said it was the other way around especially with the vortech.....but the downside is the torque

My Vortech last rolling roaded at 354 Ib/ft torque (have seen higher torque figures previously) - + circa 400bhp. Pretty respectable rise in torque on a standard Zed IMHO.

Wouldn't like to chance either a turbo or supercharged running more power or torque without having a built block and thats gonna run into mega bucks.

If you need 400bhp and a nice rise in torque - go supercharger - I love the supercharged whine and the incredibly linear power band right through the rev range. It feels like just the right amount of power for the Zed.

If you want mega power then turbo is absolutely the best route but you will also be spending much bigger bucks on building your engine and I would imagine loosing much of the day to day driveability.

There are a few APS kits around, Speak to Mark @ Abbey about the cost of fitting, as they have fitted a couple and look after a few more.

Supercharging is more cost efective as its less of an engine out job... But you have the issue that once you have found that extra 100hp your still looking for the next lot! They do say 500bhp is when you stop looking for more!

In all honesty, and at the risk of being shot down in flames, there are a lot of good reasons why you shouldn't go FI with a Z. If you're looking for big power (particularly down the turbocharged route) it would make a lot more sense, both financially and in terms of reliability, to go for a car that was leaves the factory with that kind of kit installed and upgrade as needed from there. If the Z isn't quick enough for you, buy a quicker car!

That said...

I have a Vortech kit on order and will be installing it in the new year. I appreciate the above and fully expect to run into problems along the way, however half the fun for me is the project itself, as well as the ongoing maintenance required.

If that doesn't put you off I would say go for it - but bear in mind there may well be dramas and that chasing big numbers will soon run up massive bills and may well leave you wondering why you didn't buy a faster car from the off.

Just my 2 cents!

Total understand your views Wookie, I love my Zed to bits, I'm just window shopping at the mo, the whole supercharger thing fascinates me but I'm put off by the whining you here from Mini Cooper S's that have been tweaked.

:thumbs: I'm certainly not saying don't do it!

Just that you should enter with your eyes wide open :scare:

Price is also a big one to consider. Turbo with internals etc. 10k :scare:

And the rest. Double that to do internals aswell

From reading and talking to people in the states they say the engine can handle 400WHP rather than BHP

what do you guys think ?

Torque is the main issue & not HP as everyone seems to think, the rods are the weak point & they cant hold masses of torque. I'm sure I remember reading that anything above 400ft/lb is a ticking timebomb.

Price is also a big one to consider. Turbo with internals etc. 10k :scare:

And the rest. Double that to do internals aswell

From reading and talking to people in the states they say the engine can handle 400WHP rather than BHP

what do you guys think ?

Torque is the main issue & not HP as everyone seems to think, the rods are the weak point & they cant hold masses of torque. I'm sure I remember reading that anything above 400ft/lb is a ticking timebomb.

dont go ther on my350z theres thread after thread about how long stock have lasted and how mhc people have put through the rods!

also lucky **** can get rods and pistons for under $2000 ! soo not fair