Are three cars really enough

martinmac

I am rather annoyed. :rant:

Having waited three months to get my roadster fixed I am hoping for a call today to say that it has been done. Not holding my breath though.

I am also in dispute with Sony after three laptops failed with the same fault just out of warranty..

So today the ABS light came on in my wifes Golf. Its 4 months out of warranty. The exhaust went last week. Took it to the dealer and they have diagnosed a sensor fault and the fix is around £1k. The dealers says that as the car was last serviced at the local garage using approved but not genuine VW parts its unlikely that VW will fix the fault at their cost.

This is absolute rubbish. The dealer also admitted that this is a known issue. :dry:

Here we go again. :doh:

The advantage with this one is that the dealer we bought it off are pretty useless. When we picked the car up as new it wasnt cleaned. The saleman who sold it stipulated a time for us to collect it so he could show us round it but was then too busy so we got a spotty teenager after 30 minutes waiting. This lad didnt have a clue about the car.

A month after we bought it the rear lights failed as the wiring was rotten ( they do the wiring for Porsche btw :surrender: )

This is why we dont use them for servicing out of warranty. :dry:

So today the ABS light came on in my wifes Golf. Its 4 months out of warranty. The exhaust went last week. Took it to the dealer and they have diagnosed a sensor fault and the fix is around £1k. The dealers says that as the car was last serviced at the local garage using approved but not genuine VW parts its unlikely that VW will fix the fault at their cost.

This is absolute rubbish. The dealer also admitted that this is a known issue. :dry:

If it's a "known issue", would it be worth trying HQ in the UK? As it's only just out of warranty, also as suggested check to see what VW forums say.

Good luck Mart, it's about time you got a bit of a break.

I was rather suprised that the guy at customer services had such a low opinion of dealers, then again his day is filled with tales of their muppetry. :p

I hit the dealer with the EEC Block Exemption rules as they mentioned the servicing again, they tried to tell me that not using them was why the car wasnt on the database. :doh:

One would be nice. :lol:

I had some very positive developments yesterday afternoon and am getting a call back this afternoon so things are looking a lot better now. Golf £££ repairs = less 350z mods. :surrender:

Does Liz know she's getting a bike for Christmas :teeth:

So much for a good feeling, here we go again. :boxing:

The full story.

The car was bought new from our local VW dealer. We didnt like them anyway but the dealer we have been using for years which is slightly further away wouldnt compete on price. I suspect this is an arrangement they have in place similar to that used by Porsche to make people use their local and cut down playing them off on price.

We arrived to collect the car, the saleman was busy and kept us waiting for 30 mins. I the end I kicked off and a young lad gave us the keys.

The ABS fault popped up after 3 years and 4 months, up to the end of the warranty we had used the dealer for all servicing. The only one out of service was done by a local garage that does a lot of work for us. All parts from the local motor factor.

When we first contacted the dealer about the ABS problem they harped on endlessly about the use of non VW parts at the last service. I kept repeating that it wasnt necessary to use VW parts. All parts just needed to be approved.

They said they would contact VW to see if they would replace the part as a good will gesture.

4 days later the dealer contacted us and said VW were offering 40%. This is basically the part at cost to them and we pay the labour. £666.

I contacted VW customer services who seemed very good. Initially the car hadnt been registered at the time of sale so I had to get back to the dealer to sort this out. The dealer cant have contacted VW about the matter or the issue of registration would have come up then. :dry:

The dealer had admitted it was a known issue. They said the car was safe to drive. VW didnt think the car was safe and suggested it be booked in immediately. It is at the dealers now.

VW called my wife yesterday dispite being told to deal with me. They say that they are not prepared to offer any mnore than the dealer has already offered as the car had been serviced using non VW parts. They also asked my wife why she hadnt bothered to fill in the registration form when we collected it. :bang: We werent given one.

I am now taking this over from my wife.

The 2002 EEC Block Exemption Regulations cover three issues as far as I can see.

First, anyone can sell a make of car, not just the franchised dealer.

Second, the dealer cannot refuse to pass on information to other garages which is needed to work on the car.

Third, a manufacturer cannot stipulate that their branded parts are used on the car. Other parts are quite acceptable as long as they are type approved.

I wouldnt mind but the service had nothing to do with the ABS fault. :surrender:

The same as any business they're in business for a reason. But can you imagine if some company began dealing in an honest and upfront nature with it's clients & made a quality product. Imagine the brand loyalty.

Should we all be wishing for you to get this sorted before Xmas as a Xmas pressie. :scare:

• 5 months later...