My Finished Arcade Machine...!

marzman

Hey All,

After 6 months, i've finally got round to finishing my arcade machine this week. Total cost? £290 :blush:

Since my last update on my project blog (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26206&hilit=arcade+blog) i've re-finished the front panels in black felt, added the chrome t-moulding around the edges (which i imported from the states :p ), and got hold of some professional quality sticks.

It has a PC inside, as well as a Sega Dreamcast, and the sticks control both of these. The PC has a full arcade front end, which loads immediately when switched on, and you control everything via the sticks - so no need for a keyboard and mouse. You even switch the PC off by holding the player-select buttons down!

Finally, i added a Coin-Op mechanism to it, which can switch the PC on... but there's also a hidden switch too.

See the video and pictures below. Note the Windows logon and logoff music!!

104_1307.jpg

104_1309.jpg

104_1311.jpg

104_1318.jpg

104_1320.jpg

104_1321.jpg

104_1322.jpg

104_1303.jpg

104_1304.jpg

Nice which emulator are you using?

R

Cheers everyone.

Rich, im using 'Maximus Arcade' as the front end, which is an amazing bit of software (had to crack it). This then launches all the standard emulators, so Zsnes, project 64 etc etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Thanks for the positive comments... i've not touched it since i got Call of Duty, but i've had a break from that this weekend so have been having a blast on this. :D

I've not really changed anything on it, but have been looking round for other systems to emulate... it turns out that if i get some actual MAME games (i.e. as if they were running on an arcade machine), some of them expect you to add credits - which is simulated by pressing a given button on the keyboard. I can work backwards from this and hook that up to my coin mech, meaning you have to pay per play rather than just to switch the PC on...! Awesome!

Was a bit gutted today though - i finally found a copy of Virtua Cop 2 for the dreamcast to download- so i hooked up the lightgun and... lightguns dont work with LCD screens. :rant:

Lastly, i've just looked at my pics again... im suprised no-one noticed the knuckle dusters in the last pic, on the shelf on the left! Oops. :lol:

104_1304.jpg

:lol: planning a good night out?

shame bout the guns :( bad luck. what is it they detect then?

Hey all. Thanks for the positive comments... i've not touched it since i got Call of Duty, but i've had a break from that this weekend so have been having a blast on this. :D

I've not really changed anything on it, but have been looking round for other systems to emulate... it turns out that if i get some actual MAME games (i.e. as if they were running on an arcade machine), some of them expect you to add credits - which is simulated by pressing a given button on the keyboard. I can work backwards from this and hook that up to my coin mech, meaning you have to pay per play rather than just to switch the PC on...! Awesome!

Was a bit gutted today though - i finally found a copy of Virtua Cop 2 for the dreamcast to download- so i hooked up the lightgun and... lightguns dont work with LCD screens. :rant:

Lastly, i've just looked at my pics again... im suprised no-one noticed the knuckle dusters in the last pic, on the shelf on the left! Oops. :lol:

104_1304.jpg

After google-ing it tonight, its pretty complicated, but as is my understanding they use the horizontal and vertical lines of a crt screen, and also something to do with the white flash you get when you press the trigger- this highlights the intended target and the light sensor in the gun works out where you shoot. or something :shrug:

...basically, old light guns dont work on any LCD scrren due to them being pixels rather than lines.

After google-ing it tonight, its pretty complicated, but as is my understanding they use the horizontal and vertical lines of a crt screen, and also something to do with the white flash you get when you press the trigger- this highlights the intended target and the light sensor in the gun works out where you shoot. or something :shrug:

...basically, old light guns dont work on any LCD scrren due to them being pixels rather than lines.

ok googled it, thats a bit of a mind humper. i suppose you could simulate the line drawing etc on a monitor, maybe someone has written the software :shrug: that person would be very sad indeed...