ESP..... on or off ?

Vale

I always have mine off !! I have done for the last 2 and a half years since I bought the car. I totally trust my instincts over the computer every day of the week, at least if i crash the car i can blame my lack of talent and not blame the ecu's lack of talent.

Cheers,

Pete.

with my last RWD i was the same, except it had no ESP at all, i feel iam a competant driver and had good control of the car, and enjoyed getting the arse out on the odd roundabout etc. never had an issue until i span it out on a roundabout i drove around 2 times aday for years. it came down to being tired, bad weather and not paying attention for a brief moment. got to much arse end out, snapped to quickly did a full 360 and took out 1 white bollard 2 sign posts and stopped 1 foot from the barrier on a central reservation.

i trusted my skills right up and till the point i wasn't paying attention when i was tired.

i now leave the ESP on with the 350z unless i'm track side. it acts like the fail safe for that one occassion when i don't get it right. and just adjust my driving stlye to accomadate for the ESP.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good chat;

I have had my 06 for around the same time - 6 weeks, when I try do a standing start (not often, my mates at the side wanting some performance) the clutch seems to slip with the esp off. a slow rolling start is great just unsure about standing start. any ideas 350z drivers ?

i.e. clutch works under normal conditions.

great car by the way....

esp is for wimps which includes me. God forbid but if you do something stupid it is your fault not the esps for not being on. the 350 is pretty tame compared to other cars. My clio 172 doesnt have traction controll although some do. IMO it doesnt need it as not having it makes me drive more to MY abilty. If its wet or whatever it dont drive it the same. I dont speed but Im not a granny driver. You can go up to the limit as fast as you want but dont go over the limit.

FWD cars have made us soft. most older folk on here will mainly have drove RWD so they have more experiance and control then us n00bs do. if you have drove a high powered rwd car before with no traction control then you should be fine doing the same in the z as long as you drive to your limits.

I always have mine off !! I have done for the last 2 and a half years since I bought the car. I totally trust my instincts over the computer every day of the week, at least if i crash the car i can blame my lack of talent and not blame the ecu's lack of talent.

Cheers,

Pete.

with my last RWD i was the same, except it had no ESP at all, i feel iam a competant driver and had good control of the car, and enjoyed getting the arse out on the odd roundabout etc. never had an issue until i span it out on a roundabout i drove around 2 times aday for years. it came down to being tired, bad weather and not paying attention for a brief moment. got to much arse end out, snapped to quickly did a full 360 and took out 1 white bollard 2 sign posts and stopped 1 foot from the barrier on a central reservation.

i trusted my skills right up and till the point i wasn't paying attention when i was tired.

i now leave the ESP on with the 350z unless i'm track side. it acts like the fail safe for that one occassion when i don't get it right. and just adjust my driving stlye to accomadate for the ESP.

Fully agree Rich. Even Ken Block or whatever pro you love could bin it if they are on the way to work and not concentrating 100%. Doesnt take a split second of concentration lapse to bin it, and good luck with recovering it if you do. Seen it far too many times that people have binned it with ESP off.

Now I wouldnt argue with turning it off whenever you go for a spirited drive, I can see why you would, just not daily driving. I only turn mine off on the track and have no problem making good progress on the roads. If you are going quick enough to light up the ESP on the roads, you either are going too quick for public roads, or you need to be smoother, or your car has some kind of setup problem (tyres/geometry/etc). And for those that say "It lights up before the wheels are even spinning up", no its not, you're just not as quick as a computer at detecting spin/slip. Trust me you are spinning the tyres, just you didnt realise yet, as the computer is always quicker than you ;)

If you've got matching tyres of the appropriate depths, and everything else is mechanically fine and you're still lighting that little light up, then you're driving the car wrong/badly. The Zed isn't the first car to be built with a big engine up front and power at the back, and people managed for years perfectly fine before ESP was ever invented with far worse chassis/tyre combinations, so if you're driving correctly for the conditions then there should be either no need to have it on at all or at least ever see the light on.

Relying on it to save you should something go wrong because of a poor driving style is a seriously worrying trend IMHO.

i would also say i drive fast, but i have a very smooth driving style. so don't seem to kick the old esp off very often.

You drove so fast back from the Ace Cafe meet, I had to slow down cos I lost sight of ya :lol::lol::lol:

i got stúck in heavy traffic,

and the old addadge of a time and a place and all that ;)

i don't want to be one of those drivers that everyone looks at and thinks tw*t because they are undertaking and swerving in and out of traffic.

i pootled back because i iwas tired :p

Just the OEM one mate, my zed just reached 50k so thought i would do gear and diff for peice of mind ........

How do you change the diff oil in the standard viscous diff? I was of the impression that its non-serviceable?? What diff oil did you use?

OEM diff oil as per Nissan service dept ! forgot the grade but it was 1.4ltr i think. and it is definately serviceable.

Just to clear up any missunderstandings i was relating to how sensitive the ESP was during a "spirited" drive which by some standards on other car models i find the Zed a little too keen. As far as driving wrong or badly as some of you have assumed i do have 18 months circuit racing experience for Brooklands motor company in a hand built 3.9ltr V8 Cobra that had 415bhp AT the rear wheels so i sort of trust MY ability, i was taught to drive in an old Cosworth too at Cadwell park. 3 weeks of the best xmas bonus i have ever had. (Cheers Nick ;) )

Thanks for all your input. I have taken it all on board.

Regards.

Just the OEM one mate, my zed just reached 50k so thought i would do gear and diff for peice of mind ........

How do you change the diff oil in the standard viscous diff? I was of the impression that its non-serviceable?? What diff oil did you use?

OEM diff oil as per Nissan service dept ! forgot the grade but it was 1.4ltr i think. and it is definately serviceable.

Just to clear up any missunderstandings i was relating to how sensitive the ESP was during a "spirited" drive which by some standards on other car models i find the Zed a little too keen. As far as driving wrong or badly as some of you have assumed i do have 18 months circuit racing experience for Brooklands motor company in a hand built 3.9ltr V8 Cobra that had 415bhp AT the rear wheels so i sort of trust MY ability, i was taught to drive in an old Cosworth too at Cadwell park. 3 weeks of the best xmas bonus i have ever had. (Cheers Nick ;) )

Thanks for all your input. I have taken it all on board.

Regards.

Vale dude!!!!

It needs to be off ALL of the time!!!! :drive1B)

Otherwise buy yourself a micra!!! :p

Its a common thing the driving advice man....i am the best driver...and so is you and so is everybody! we are all the best drivers... :lol:

The Zed's ESP is oversensitive...and this is obvious on the track...plus its very aggressive when it cuts off and stupidly slow to give you full power again...useless stuff...id rather a long pedal travel like TVRs have!!! ;):lol:

The only time i keep the ESP on is on heavy rain...and thats cos i am scared of aquaplaning... :byebye: maserati!

btw no timber dock meet for a while as i v got no Zed right now....combination of being the best driver and having the ESP off!!! :bang:

I do live purely on Valentino's now tho!!! :p

See you around m8!!!

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks Greeky ;) i never professed to be the best driver i just dont like being judged when nobody knows anything about my experience.

Really sorry to hear about your Zed matey :headhurt: hope you get it sorted soon. I think You, me, Alex and hamster are up for a meet as soon as your Zed is mended :thumbs:

Thanks for the laugh bud :p

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks Greeky ;) i never professed to be the best driver i just dont like being judged when nobody knows anything about my experience.

I know thats why i speak straight to god!!! ;)

Really sorry to hear about your Zed matey :headhurt: hope you get it sorted soon. I think You, me, Alex and hamster are up for a meet as soon as your Zed is mended :thumbs:

Yes we are..i am trying to get madmarky and darren up here for the 27-28 of Nov for a track day at Cadwell park...and we can all get FUBAR in town as well....the Ull way m8!!! :band::drunk::group:

Ull way :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeap and teach them how to approach ull galls....u ori(t)e luv?... ;)

oh and all the local anthems.....cum on u ull...ull ci(t)yyy....we r ull...and all sorts!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh dear.............

I was in Ull the other night and couldn't believe how much it had changed - also a bar called FUBAR :lol:

Off all the time for me.

:lol: Does your car even have ESP anymore Alex? :blink:

In reply to the OP - TBH if you've 'lost count' of how much your ESP comes on then have you checked your tyres and geometry recently?

I'd be asking the question, have you checked your driving style?! No attack meant, but if you're driving on the roads and the car is stopping you from breaking traction, then you're giving it a bit of stick. Admittedly on a keen launch from the lights it can be restrictive but the alternative is a load of smoke and fish tailing until traction returns - not gonna help the get away! Fact is the box of tricks will be quicker at pulling it back in line that the one behind the wheel is. At this time of year with the leaves and rain, I'd be leaving it on :)

:bang: my driving style is fine, smooth and balanced, and i dont spin off at traffic lights :p i am 38 ;) an example of what i mean is during a "slight" drift on a bend the ESP just jumps in with no warning or progresivness, its just :scare: boom and loss of power which during a moment of youthfullness make the adjustment feel more over done then needed, and like Chris mentioned, the zed dont give the power back quick enough :doh:

Now before you all jump on the band wagon and shout about public roads and spirited drives etc etc :yawn: all i am saying is IMO the ESP is too sensetive for a car of this caliber and i just wondered what you lot thought too ? :shrug:

I know your not attacking me H5 but there are a few posts if you read back where i am getting a bit of stick about my driving abilities which are some what presumptuous. I didnt realise there were so many proffesional drivers here with the ability to judge my driving from a thread ! I dont and wont brag about my past as i dont feel i am the best driver in the world. Greekman is..he told me so :lol: but i do have ability and maybe i should of mentioned that, i take responsibilty for that and realise i probably walked into it. appologies :surrender:

:bang::bang::bang:

Let me rephrase the initial question........

Do you think the ESP is too sensitive for the Zed or do you feel its perfect ? And i'm not talking about everyday driving, i'm talking about when you want to "ENJOY" the car on safe occasions :surrender:

FUBAR :lol: thats the one just up the road from "The Bevy" !! no sh1t :p and as far as approach goes Christos all a "Ull" lass needs is a bag of chips with tommy sauce on and you've pulled :p:snack:

:lol::lol:

Half a lager n lime does the trick as well!!!!

FUBAR....

F..ked

Up

Beyond

Any

Recognition!!!!

On bev rd.....

:lol::lol::lol: