I've had enough...*CAUTION HIGHLY PERSONAL RANT*

BulletMagnet

On the pirate subject I love it when people say "why watch it at home on bad quality when you can go to the cinema" lol.

Other then the quite rare digital cinema screens that are around most cinemas still show films on a projector. Have you ever actually sat in a projection cinema and thought "wow this picture quality is good" - if you have then I feel sorry for you because look again and its terrible - little flickers and burns in the film every second. I dont condone piracy but I can honestly say that in a large number of cases the picture quality of a so called "screener" or "R5 dvd rip" will be a vast improvement over the projection cinema screen.

That said it is the cinema "experience" that I keep going for - the surround sound, atmosphere and huge screen are what do it for me. With digital screens becoming the norm now its only getting better.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and i recently found out the TK symbol (Z) isn't theirs originally, its an old datsun symbol before TK were around.

huh?

I've been a lifelong Z owner, and I've never seen a Z badge like the TK one on any Z past or present. The scripted badge is actually a range they do for a few cars

Didnt want to say anything till an expert came along!! TK only used to put the front (not a z badge) and the rear on cars that they modified... It was only demand from the US that meant they started to sell them to the public!

On the pirate subject I love it when people say "why watch it at home on bad quality when you can go to the cinema" lol.

Other then the quite rare digital cinema screens that are around most cinemas still show films on a projector. Have you ever actually sat in a projection cinema and thought "wow this picture quality is good" - if you have then I feel sorry for you because look again and its terrible - little flickers and burns in the film every second. I dont condone piracy but I can honestly say that in a large number of cases the picture quality of a so called "screener" or "R5 dvd rip" will be a vast improvement over the projection cinema screen.

That said it is the cinema "experience" that I keep going for - the surround sound, atmosphere and huge screen are what do it for me. With digital screens becoming the norm now its only getting better.

And the mobile phones going off, people talking, kids throwing popcorn etc etc.. Its a real joy to go to the cinema these days!! ;)

And the mobile phones going off, people talking, kids throwing popcorn etc etc.. Its a real joy to go to the cinema these days!! ;)

Go a late night showing then, been a couple of times and there is roughly 6-8 people max in my local cinema. ;)

+1 - a well done Bluray "backup" is far superior to cinema projection cack. Its not until you venture back to the cinema having watched BD that you realise how rubbish it is! My long term plan is to get an HD projector and screen and hook that up to all my AV kit and have a much much better experience, only you have to wait for it to come out on BD before you can watch it :doh:

Yeah there is that. Id agree with the late night showing - i used to always go to those and its a much nicer experience.

I reckon it wont be long before the cinema is a thing of the past and new releases are released straight to a high quality download for a much smaller fee then what my local cinema charge. To take me and the gf to the cinema - throw in a pop corn and a drink and Ive dropped around £23 - fantastic! :rant:

and i recently found out the TK symbol (Z) isn't theirs originally, its an old datsun symbol before TK were around.

huh?

I've been a lifelong Z owner, and I've never seen a Z badge like the TK one on any Z past or present. The scripted badge is actually a range they do for a few cars

Didnt want to say anything till an expert came along!! TK only used to put the front (not a z badge) and the rear on cars that they modified... It was only demand from the US that meant they started to sell them to the public!

only reason i thought it was an old symbol was because of these

http://z-store.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseacti ... rentCat=27

i've seen other versions of oil caps and rad caps etc. and always referring to datsuns never nissans, so i thought it was for a variety of Zed cars 240Z up etc.

huh?

only reason i thought it was an old symbol was because of these

http://z-store.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseacti ... rentCat=27

i've seen other versions of oil caps and rad caps etc. and always referring to datsuns never nissans, so i thought it was for a variety of Zed cars 240Z up etc.

Datsun Freeway themselves are simply taking the Z that Datsun used on the front hood, and side C pillars on the 240Z-280Z, and using that font for their own accessories. Pretty standard fare, it is afterall, just a Z. A similar font appeared on the later Z31. Z32's used a revised version of it. The Z33 did away with it though you'll see several firms offer badges that use a variation of it for the hood and hatch (courtesy, for example - I've got the Z badge on the front of my car)

TK mixed it up a bit (if you will) by using more of a Chiller type font, and doing it in red (which is sort of their color).

:band:

I kinda agree with BM. Having always gone for the best bits I can get I get the fit, finish and residuals I want. I can also understand why people buy copies - the world has it with everything. Clothes, electronics, films, car parts and so on. Fact is those people are ultimately cutting their nose off to spite their face.....

I bought a bunch of Alpine and JL Audio stereo equipment a few years ago. Even today it still works like new, wins prizes at shows and is worth good money second hand. If it was Sony xPlop or whatever, it's be worthless. But most importantly IMO - it is BETTER than what was there before. The main thing I don't understand is people taking a £30k sportscar that had years of development to get it to handle and feel the way it does, and then people put wheels that weigh twice as much on or lower it with a few hundred quid. What makes you think someone who has never driven the car in anger can make it better with a quick fix?!

Modifying is a bit more subjective and style (or lack of! :lol: ) comes into it. Some bits are actually overpriced so if someone can make something better for less, then great. However, in a supply and demand market, that doesn't tend to be the case. I have yet to see a NISMO replica kit that can't be spotted immediately in the flesh for example (as different from a genuine one). That doesn't mean the replica looks bad, but you can tell.

So I would look for whatever it is to have substance as well as form at the minimum........ :)

I kinda agree with BM. Having always gone for the best bits I can get I get the fit, finish and residuals I want. I can also understand why people buy copies - the world has it with everything. Clothes, electronics, films, car parts and so on. Fact is those people are ultimately cutting their nose off to spite their face.....

I bought a bunch of Alpine and JL Audio stereo equipment a few years ago. Even today it still works like new, wins prizes at shows and is worth good money second hand. If it was Sony xPlop or whatever, it's be worthless. But most importantly IMO - it is BETTER than what was there before. The main thing I don't understand is people taking a £30k sportscar that had years of development to get it to handle and feel the way it does, and then people put wheels that weigh twice as much on or lower it with a few hundred quid. What makes you think someone who has never driven the car in anger can make it better with a quick fix?!

Modifying is a bit more subjective and style (or lack of! :lol: ) comes into it. Some bits are actually overpriced so if someone can make something better for less, then great. However, in a supply and demand market, that doesn't tend to be the case. I have yet to see a NISMO replica kit that can't be spotted immediately in the flesh for example (as different from a genuine one). That doesn't mean the replica looks bad, but you can tell.

So I would look for whatever it is to have substance as well as form at the minimum........ :)

Agree totally - the problem nowadays is people automatically equate price with value. The 2 are totally separate and distinct from one another.

Agree totally - the problem nowadays is people automatically equate price with value. The 2 are totally separate and distinct from one another.

To me it's like I said before, I like others, work hard for my mods.

So when I do finally have the money saved for a mod, I'd like to get something "genuine".

It's a personal thing and I gain more satisfaction personally out of it.

I don't mod the Zed for other people, I mod it for myself, so it has to be worth it when I do it.

I do not equate price with value apart from the personal value it has to me.

If you get what I mean...

I agree - but this is the primary reason the replicas exist and thrive.

The NISMO front bumper is $1200 lets say. Someone decides to replicate it, and sell it for $250.00. The NISMO quality has not changed, their fit and finish is top notch, and it fits correctly the first time. They're packaged well, come with everything needed, and the quality control is very strict. So one ordered in 2006 fits the same as one ordered in 2008. The replica on the other hand, you never quite know what you're getting. One batch may be good, another batch, not so much. But, because a replica now exists that is $250.00, automatically people think the NISMO is overpriced. I think a difference exists between overpriced and expensive - some people can't seem to make that distinction though. To each his own as they say

I agree - but this is the primary reason the replicas exist and thrive.

The NISMO front bumper is $1200 lets say. Someone decides to replicate it, and sell it for $250.00. The NISMO quality has not changed, their fit and finish is top notch, and it fits correctly the first time. They're packaged well, come with everything needed, and the quality control is very strict. So one ordered in 2006 fits the same as one ordered in 2008. The replica on the other hand, you never quite know what you're getting. One batch may be good, another batch, not so much. But, because a replica now exists that is $250.00, automatically people think the NISMO is overpriced. I think a difference exists between overpriced and expensive - some people can't seem to make that distinction though. To each his own as they say

Can also be a false economy of buy cheap, buy twice too...

At the end of the day as with anything... Caveat emptor!

At the end of the day as with anything... Caveat emptor!

Ok smartarse, translate that now, cos I can't even be bothered to Google that....

EDIT:

OK, I gave in....

Caveat Emptor

Latin for 'let the buyer beware'. This implies a buyer must ensure that goods about to be purchased are free from defects and that he/she bears the risk.

It is particularly relevant in property transactions, where the seller is legally obliged not to mislead the buyer, but other than that the onus is on the buyer to satisfy himself that the property is in the condition he wants.