Roadster woes... again

martinmac

I was going to do this by pm to Alex and Lee but I think its always good to have these problems archived.

A few months ago had a problem with my roof not opening and after a bit of greasing and working by hand I thought it was resolved.

On the last day of the hoon the roof stopped working completely and as it was pissing down I was very grateful to the Chris and Rik for helping me out.

The car has now been at the dealers for three weeks and they still havent managed to locate the problem. I dont have any issues with them as I fully appreciate this is not one of the common faults and they have little dealings with the 350z let alone the roadster.

The symptoms.

The last time the roof closed the mechanism that locks and seals the roof did not and would not fully engage so although the roof is watertight its not fully closed, there is a few mms clearance. The roof will now not operate at all.

When I press the button the windows drop and the seats move. There is then a small whirr as the motor starts then nothing. The orange roof fault light was on when I took it to the dealer. When we were closing the roof in Scotland it was stiff to move and not as easy to do by hand as it was previously.

The dealr tells me that there are no fault codes and all the component parts have been checked and are fine. The car thinks the roof is working Nissan have suggested some checks but the info is in Japanese and they havent come up with any answers as yet.

I dont need the car at the moment but am scheduling some other work so the delay is frustrating.

I will be getting in touch with Nissan tomorrow to register the problem with customer services.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not good mart hope you get it sorted keep us up to date. Odd sounds like maybe a clip has gone somewhere or a spring broken ?So dealers say everything is working ok except the windscreen lock down ? surely they must be able to remove those fixings in the windscreen to check it all? of all the manufacturers the japs are usually pretty thorough on this kind of stuff :surrender:

Mart just reread the post. Think the motors has a slip clutch mechanism that takes up any initial strain if it's too much for them they switch off on a pressure switch.dealers should be able to remove motors hence release pressure and manually lift the roof hence spot where the pressure point / blockage is?

This is rubbish Mart! As Stan says they should be taking the thing apart and making sure everything is free to move and then working out why the mechanicals arent moving. Sounds to me like the hooked up the computer and "computer said no", but they dont know what to do with it :bangin:

I was going to do this by pm to Alex and Lee but I think its always good to have these problems archived.

A few months ago had a problem with my roof not opening and after a bit of greasing and working by hand I thought it was resolved.

On the last day of the hoon the roof stopped working completely and as it was pissing down I was very grateful to the Chris and Rik for helping me out.

The car has now been at the dealers for three weeks and they still havent managed to locate the problem. I dont have any issues with them as I fully appreciate this is not one of the common faults and they have little dealings with the 350z let alone the roadster.

The symptoms.

The last time the roof closed the mechanism that locks and seals the roof did not and would not fully engage so although the roof is watertight its not fully closed, there is a few mms clearance. The roof will now not operate at all.

When I press the button the windows drop and the seats move. There is then a small whirr as the motor starts then nothing. The orange roof fault light was on when I took it to the dealer. When we were closing the roof in Scotland it was stiff to move and not as easy to do by hand as it was previously.

The dealr tells me that there are no fault codes and all the component parts have been checked and are fine. The car thinks the roof is working Nissan have suggested some checks but the info is in Japanese and they havent come up with any answers as yet.

I dont need the car at the moment but am scheduling some other work so the delay is frustrating.

I will be getting in touch with Nissan tomorrow to register the problem with customer services.

Thats the best thing to do to be honest,

I would hope that Nissan customer services will instruct them (subject to your aproval) to start disasembling the roof assembly piece by piece and looking for the faulty part.

Clearly there is something that wasnt budging, an from first hand experience of the issue at the hoon, it just seemed like there was one or more motors that were not operating in reverse.

I assume that there are a set of motors each doing their own little job, and when going from roof open to roof closed, they all seemed to work other than the locking into place. When wanting to go from closed to open nothing happened, so its either an issue with the locking mechanism part which until its finished its job, doesnt allow the motors to start doing theirs, or an issue with the motors in reverse.

Either way I reckon the only way of fixing this is as above, to start taking it apart bit by bit and seeing what has gone wrong. Nissan shuld perhaps be footing the bill or at least part of it anyway even if you are out of warranty, as it is in their interest to discover what has gone wrong, so that they can resolve this a lot quicker should another customer have the same problem in the future.

Martin,

Sorry mate I have bean a bit busy so I apologise for my belated post.

I have now had a chance to have a squint at the Roadster manual and there is 138 pages relating to the roof mechanism.

Below is the page relating to the procedure for checking out issues if the roof refuses to open or close.

As you will see the first check is the fuse and the fuse link for the control unit power supply.

The 10A fuse [No.12, is located in the fuse block (J/B)]

The 40A fusible link (letter G located is in the fuse and fusible link box.)

SOFT TOP

(OPEN → CLOSE)

Symptom Diagnostic procedure and repair order Roof position Refer to page

Roof does not operate

1 Soft top control unit power supply check CL1 RF-47

2. Soft top switch (Close) check CL1 RF-49

3. Operation permission condition check CL1 RF-84

4. Each switch condition check (Close operate) Full open RF-87

5. Seat back position signal check CL1 RF-90

6. Storage lid unlock actuator check

(Close operate)

CL1 RF-66

7. Storage lid full close detection switch

(LH and RH) check (Close operate)

CL1.2 RF-67

8. Storage lid actuator check (Close operate) CL2 RF-69

Storage lid operation stops at

full open position

1. Roof actuator check (Close operate) CL2 RF-73

2. Body interference prevention switch check

(Close operate)

CL3 RF-72

Roof stops on the way

1. Storage lid full open detection switch check

(Close operate)

CL3 RF-70

2. Roof full close detection switch check

(Close operate)

CL5 RF-74

3. 5th bow actuator check (Close operate) CL5 RF-76

Operation stops after 5th

bow operates down

1. 5th bow full close detection switch check

(Close operate)

CL5 RF-76

Operation stops after 5th

bow operates up

1. 5th bow full open detection switch check

(Close operate)

CL6 RF-78

Auto closure of 5th bow does

not operate.

1. 5th bow half-latch switch check CL10 RF-79

2. 5th bow full-latch switch check CL10 RF-80

3. 5th bow ending switch check CL10 RF-82

4. 5th bow closure motor check CL10 RF-83

Passenger side seat back does

not operate.

1. Passenger side seat cancel switch check CL1 SE-49

2. Passenger side seat operate signal check 1 CL1 RF-88

Passenger side seat back does

not return to former state

1. Passenger side seat operate signal check 3 CL10 RF-89

Power window down does

not operate.

1. Power window harness check CL1 RF-88

Both power window down and

passenger seat are not operated.

1. Power window down request signal check CL1 RF-87

Indicator lamp does not light.

(soft top operates properly)

1. Indicator lamp circuit check — RF-92

Indicator lamp blinks when IGN

SW : OFF → ON is done.

1. Replace soft top control unit — RF-93

Indicator lamp blinks when

beginning to run.

1. Speed signal check — RF-90

SOFT TOP

RF-47

C

D

E

F

G

H

J

K

L

M

A

B

RF

Soft Top Control Unit Power Supply Check (OP, CL) EIS00B0W

1. CHECK FUSE

Check 10A fuse [No.12, located in the fuse block (J/B)]

Check 40A fusible link (letter G located in the fuse and fusible link box.)

NOTE:

Refer to RF-11, "Component Parts and Harness Connector Location" .

OK or NG

OK >> GO TO 2.

NG >> If fuse blown out, be sure to eliminate cause of malfunction before

If someone can tell me how to copy the 138 pages from the cd manual then I can post up as a link.

If I copy and paste, it misses loadsa stuff out and the format appears to change. :surrender:

Its probably in PDF format Alex - you can dowload a PDF reader/editor and then save it then do fancy stuff and paste it up - there is a package called PDF995 thats pretty cool ;)

I am really worried now after seeing that check list and hope mine is ok for the next 10 years at least till I buy a 950Z in 2015 :lol: (Ragtop of course!) ;)

Lets hope he does'nt think its an import and then well thats that is'nt it! JDM's are completely different cars as are ragtops just totally different to a coupe!

It really is basics here is'nt it as we have all posted - think you need to go somewhere else - I can recommend Westway Nissan in Oldham - Danny the head mechanic is pretty good and knows his onions just dont let the children play with it ......... :surrender::blackeye: