Driving Advice for New Owner!!

Picked up my 07 Z last week, still on cloud nine! Want to learn to get the best out of this beast/ its limit/ capabilities. Track day a good option or any recommend courses please? Came out of a roundabout today in the wet, over accelerated, snaked, spun in the road... very lucky no other car or barriers... lesson learnt.

Over eager possibly but the EST button, how does this change the driving experience? And yes, I did have EST on earlier!

Many thanks, Dan

I had mine for over a month now and the other day I was driving on wet roads with the traction control on and at the first roundabout I went :scare: the second one :drive1 the third one :drive1 and so on, good fun, be carefull on how much you push her.......

On my wish list for x'mas there will be either an advance driving course or a track day were do you get told the limit of the car and how to contol it

Track days are good but the roads are so different ie the surfaces change so much/quickly as they get worn or repaired. With the Z there is no need to plant it even with traction on in the wet, you will lose it as you know. Becarefull guy's :headhurt:

If you want tail end happyness then go out and buy a capri for £300 and have some fun :scare::lol:

Firsty, welcome mate... head over t the introductions section and tell us about yourself.

Secondly, Screw track days etc, RULE 1 - IF ITS WET, DONT ACCELERATE OUT OF CORNERS! :surrender: There are several people on the forum recently who have wrecked their cars in the wet. Rear wheel drive cars are not meant to be pushed in the wet, regardless of esp being on or off...

Scary times though, spinning on the road. :headhurt:

Hi and welcome,

Firstly, don't be put off if you messed your pants when coming out of a roundabout in the wet; be happy you got away with it!

Secondly, if you drive a powerful rear wheel drive car and not had this sensation of of seeing your back end out your side window you are a ladyboy! (apologies to the pc brigade)

I previously had a Porsche and for the first few weeks saw it try to swap ends regularly but I progressively learned what it could do which stood me in great stead for the Zed.

My advice to a new owner would be:

Firstly, treat your accelerator like a tap and apply it gently; it's not a button that should be pushed on and off.

Secondly, if you are gonna put your foot down, make sure you're going in a straight line and more specifically, it's dry.

Thirdly, once you've got a feel for both of the above play 'till your heart's content but always treat it with respect.

Enjoy your Zed!

G

:welcome:

You need to realise you are now driving a powerful, heavy, rear end happy car. No offence, but you need to drive properly. On and off the throttle nice and gently, same with the brakes, and loading up the tyres. There no understeer safety net with RWD, if you boot the throttle the rear end will come around on you in the wet.

I suggest you all read/watch "A twist of the wrist". True its all about riding a motorbike, but it will make you a far better driver ;)

Personally, I'm planning on doing a CarLimits training day with Andy Walsh next year :drive1

Welcome to the face ache club mate :teeth::thumbs:

Several of us are thinking of doing performance courses at the moment - you've got CarLimits - CAT drivertraining and most tracks do their own wee one hour / half day courses........all a good starting point and a good idea to learn about your car and driving style.

Now get back out there and NJOY :drive1

:welcome: dude!!!!

Be patient...you will get used to the car...the handling is so sweet and predictable that now i want to find a way to have the ESP off by default and turn it on when i want it instead of the other way round!!! :drive1;)

I suppose it depends on the tyres as well.....bridgestones 040 are bad in the wet...pilot sports 2 and you will never look back! in any case a very very extensively covered topic here...have a look around.... :thumbs:

Now go out there and get used to the car!!!

ps if it ever loses grip...lay back, relax, be gentle with the steering (doesnt need much to correct), gently play with the throttle, 200 yards after stop on the side, light a fag and once your hands stop shaking take a pic of your smile and post it here!!!! :drive1:p:lol::lol::lol:

B) welcome to the forum mate, what tyres are you using on the car? Find my good year F1's class in the wet... far to narrow during pushing it in the dry. I drive with the EST off at all times and just take it easy. Nothing worse when it starts 'slip' 'slip' when it actually doesn't have to and the car goes dead/not-dead and so no... :rant:

I did a rally training and that proved really good for handling (feeling the car) afterwards. (wasn't allowed to drive the Z off from the training though.... :evil:, might have been a good idea!)

If you know any good open places take her out and give it a bit of stick to get used to it. Tracking on my car was WAY off when I got it and it was a bit to 'trigger' happy so after that got sorted I got more rubber on the road. \

Enjoy her, I'm enjoying every time I drive her! :dance: (bar when I get pulled...)

a.