Sports exhaust - help!

Tommy

Guys - I need your help. I've have a completely stock 296bhp 35ounce, which I love, but which I want to sound better...it's either that or buy a new car, which I can't afford! I want something reasonably deep and loud, but I do have to drive long distances (500 miles plus) occasionally, so something that doesn't drone too much on the M-way would be much appreciated. I also want something professionally finished so if I do want to sell the car in a couple of years it looks like I've done a tasteful upgrade rather than been a total boy racer and thrashed the car into the ground.

It seems that the Nismo pipe is really good (sounds good on youtube and obviously factory kit as well) but really hard to source in the UK. I was looking at putting a milltek pipe on the car (they seem easy to find and well made) but reading threads on here, it sounds like that's a bit quiet.

Does anyone have any recommendations - can I still get a nismo pipe? If I have to import what's the tax cost and who's the best person to import through? Failing that, what are the best pipes I can get over here that fit my criteria, and can anyone recommend a good stockist / fitter nr London (I live in SW London)? I've been hunting on the internet buy have been finding it really hard to find sensible stockists etc.

Thanks a lot :)

I've got a scorpion which I think sounds good, but I don't really have much to compare it to :wacko:

I know these sound good at full chat. Any drone on the m-way?

To the OP, there is a little drone with the Nismo at about 80 if that's where you sit on the m-way but its really not a problem. Why not go Milltek and if you find it too quite you could add high flow cats later? Envy have advertised a 5zigen today which is also well recommended but I don't know about drone - its also almost in to Nismo price territory but looks great if you like twin cans.

As mentioned above there is a Nismo group buy being organised if you search. :)

I've got a scorpion which I think sounds good, but I don't really have much to compare it to :wacko:

I know these sound good at full chat. Any drone on the m-way?

no, pretty quiet when at a steady speed :thumbs:

A bargain for the OP then. :)

:teeth: I'd stay away from true dual exhauts, race cats, plenum upgrades if you want to keep the noise down. I'd change the endcans to 'any' of the ones out there. K1 system maybe? (with baffles in and take them out when ever you feel like it wanting to go a bit louder). If you like to hear the sound of the intake I'd go for a apexi drop in filter (so you dont messup the intake setup and heat being sucked into the engine)

Listen to these 3 clips :teeth:

think these links are better for sound difference:

"standard":

before:

after:

i have the invidia g200 true dual and its pretty good for noise, no droning on the motorways, its quiet; unless you give it some beans, a very useable exhaust.

must admit i was expecting more noise, but true dual doesn't mean instant hooligan noise. very impressed with its useability.

go with the Nismo if you've got the money you wont be disappointed and its not really really obscenely loud,make your ears bleed going do the motorway loud.

my Zed s my daily driver and i do a fair whack of miles a day an i find its a lovely note and deep and burbuly when it needs to be.

and even better there just so happens to be a group buy going on atm as Ebized says ^^^

• 2 months later...

all done - as of last thursday my zed has a shiny new nismo exhaust, berk hi-flow cats, popcharger and plenum spacer. sounds absolutely awesome especially when you get to 3k on the revcounter and the car's under load...no youtube clip can ever do justice to the noise, but i'll post a "before and after" clip when my mate uploads it. also just starting the engine gives a great deep rasp. i've fallen totally in love with the zed again - am constantly coming up with lame excuses just to go for a drive - and really looking forwards to driving to the alps to go skiing mid jan...the 2 mile long tunnels should be amazing!

anyway huge thanks to gaz @ envy for supplying the parts and the guys at tgm for doing such an efficient job of fitting. next stop abbey m/s for a new ecu.