Changed plugs and there is oil in one of the...

andlid

Hi guys, :wacko:

Changed plugs and there is was substansial oil in one of the chambers! Closest plug to the driver side (JDM mod)

Here are some photos:

2009-09-23%2014.35.05.jpg

2009-09-23%2014.35.15.jpg

2009-09-23%2014.40.17.jpg

Is this something I should be real worried about? In the photos it actually looks like it's only around the plug and nothing at the top of it... (strange?!) Anyone have any idea where this oil came from?

:bounce:

a :shrug:

Has it been running rough? I don't like to voice fears, cos i'm not that technical,

but maybe piston ring seal on 1 cylinder isn't good.

:wacko: hope not, has been running 'fine' according to me... is there anything I could check? Might hand it in for a compression test???

A.

If there was oil in the chamber it wouldn't be wet, it would have been burnt off.

You probably have oil in the plug socket only and have pread it all over as you extracted the plug.

I don't know if the Z can leak into the socket if a minor cover gasket goes(?) but might you have accidentally poured some oil in when topping up?

IMO, whatever it is, unless your Z has been running on 5 cylinders, blowing white smoke and losing oil at a rapid rate, it won't be all that serious :)

How can I check doc's if it's the cam cover?

The oil seal is part of the cam cover and is unfortunately not available separately.

It forms a seal at the coil pack so may be a good idea to clean up the face of the seal and the coil pack and run for a few thousand miles and check again.

I have low mileage cam covers available if you require them.

Alex.

is this the rubber gasket you'd be looking for.

Alex: am i right in thinking this is the one i now have spare from you?

Unfortunately not mate.

There are round (approx. 40mm) oil seals pressed into the cam cover.

1 seal for each spark plug / coil pack.

What you have spare is the cam cover "gasket"

I've got the same issue. Someone's looking into a cheaper fix, so I will let you know if they can sort it. Sure they will publish if they can sort anything. The rocker covers from Nissan are £349 per side + VAT and a free butt spanking. Mine are leaking either side :headhurt:

I've got the same issue. Someone's looking into a cheaper fix, so I will let you know if they can sort it. Sure they will publish if they can sort anything. The rocker covers from Nissan are £349 per side + VAT and a free butt spanking. Mine are leaking either side :headhurt:

:headhurt: both sides, pain. What miles have yours done? Keep me posted what the outcome might be. B)

:headhurt: both sides, pain. What miles have yours done? Keep me posted what the outcome might be. B)

About 56k. Will keep you posted :thumbs:

• 2 months later...