A simple guide to car detailing

Dave

I use the other tyre spray by Meguiars.

Called Hot Shine Tyre spray...... good stuff. :thumbs:

I spray a little on and then use a rag to even out as if you were spraying it all over then you'd end up with a car full of spray and a messy drive :)

I use this stuff to but I spay some into a old cup then apply it with a brush. More control than a old rag.

Problem with meg's endurance gloss

• [*:1kzivodb]It's as sticky as a sticky thing on a sticky day - it's an absolute swine to clean off anything, includig the applicator pads.
    [*:1kzivodb]I've also noticed that it doesn't seem to 'dry' completely (ever), so if you accidently rub against the tyre at a later date, you end up with a big black smudge on your knee/trewsers - see 1st point!

I've just started Zaino's Z16 which seems to work quite well. One coat for a nice mat finish, 2 for a bit more shine. Doesn't have the same pant-blackening qualities either!

Clay bar should be good for 3-4 cars with moderate contamination.

I know what you mean about Megs Endurance gloss. I use a paintbrush to apply it. Try and leave it over night and then use a kitchen towel to wipe off any excess. This still gives me a half decent shine but it also removes the stickyness of it and stops it being thrown onto the body when the wheel spins.

For shows static shows megs can't be beated.

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday i used Meguiars Gold Class Bodywork Shampoo & Conditioner,Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt and a Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel,all 3 products so easy to use and quick too :D

can't believe how much water the water magnet picks up no more shammie leather for me :)

have noticed that after washing with the lambs wool mitt and rinsing it out with cold water it doesn't seem as fluffy, guess washing it in a washing machine may help ?

Well having read all the above I thought I would post my weekends work for infomation.

Having just got my Porter Cable polisher from the states and seen all the swirls & scratches in the paintwork of the car I decided to get it back to a perfect, or as near finish as possible so this is what I did......

Washed car 2 bucket method with lambswool mit & Maguires NXT wash

Dry with waffle weave towel

Clayed car with Meguires claybar and quick detailer as lubricant

Wash & rinse & dry car.

Inspect swirls & condition using 500w interior lights & get machine out of box!

Tried SFX blue 6" pad with poorboys SSR1 which had no real effect on the swirls, so ended up using SFX yellow pad and SSR2.5 buffed off with microfibre towel.

In some areas the SSR2.5 left a slight haze to the paint so went over that with SFX white pad & SSR1 & buffed off. At this stage the car was as smooth as silk and had no scratches or swirl marks whatso ever, but I was aiming for the deepest shine possible so I then......

Polished with Autoglym super resin polish on a SFX white pad & buffed of with microfibre towel, then to try more gloss enhancement....

Applied Clearkote moose red glaze on a SFX blue pad and removed with micro fibre towel...... getting better next stage was...

Poorboys Exp sealant applied over by hand and left for about an hour to cure and buffed off by hand and finished that off with a coat of Nattys blue paste wax. Another coat of same wax going on tonight as you need to leave it at least 12 hours between applications.

The wheels were polished with AG srp polish and EXP sealant then waxed with nattys blue (not the best wax for whhels but all I had) and the tyres were dresses with Autoglym tyre spray.

All glass was cleaned both sides with meguires fast glass applied with kitchen paper and buffed of with microfibre towel. Little trick in cleaning glass I found is if you clean the outside with vertical strokes and the inside with horizontal strokes, you can see if you have missed any areas easily or havent buffed some off.

Exhaust stainless was polished with Solvo autosol.

The whole car now gleams with a finish that is better than new IMO. B)B)

All that was topped of with a few pints of stella as a muscle relaxant :dry:

I will get some pics up later

Well having read all the above I thought I would post my weekends work for infomation.

Having just got my Porter Cable polisher from the states and seen all the swirls & scratches in the paintwork of the car I decided to get it back to a perfect, or as near finish as possible so this is what I did......

Washed car 2 bucket method with lambswool mit & Maguires NXT wash

Dry with waffle weave towel

Clayed car with Meguires claybar and quick detailer as lubricant

Wash & rinse & dry car.

Inspect swirls & condition using 500w interior lights & get machine out of box!

Tried SFX blue 6" pad with poorboys SSR1 which had no real effect on the swirls, so ended up using SFX yellow pad and SSR2.5 buffed off with microfibre towel.

In some areas the SSR2.5 left a slight haze to the paint so went over that with SFX white pad & SSR1 & buffed off. At this stage the car was as smooth as silk and had no scratches or swirl marks whatso ever, but I was aiming for the deepest shine possible so I then......

Polished with Autoglym super resin polish on a SFX white pad & buffed of with microfibre towel, then to try more gloss enhancement....

Applied Clearkote moose red glaze on a SFX blue pad and removed with micro fibre towel...... getting better next stage was...

Poorboys Exp sealant applied over by hand and left for about an hour to cure and buffed off by hand and finished that off with a coat of Nattys blue paste wax. Another coat of same wax going on tonight as you need to leave it at least 12 hours between applications.

The wheels were polished with AG srp polish and EXP sealant then waxed with nattys blue (not the best wax for whhels but all I had) and the tyres were dresses with Autoglym tyre spray.

All glass was cleaned both sides with meguires fast glass applied with kitchen paper and buffed of with microfibre towel. Little trick in cleaning glass I found is if you clean the outside with vertical strokes and the inside with horizontal strokes, you can see if you have missed any areas easily or havent buffed some off.

Exhaust stainless was polished with Solvo autosol.

The whole car now gleams with a finish that is better than new IMO. B)B)

All that was topped of with a few pints of stella as a muscle relaxant :dry:

I will get some pics up later

We need pics now!!!!

:worthless:

Ok just for you Sarnie ;) a small taster just to show you how well a blue can drip :p

Taken in the garage without light and no sun outside.......

CIMG0038Small.jpg

oooh go on then one more......

CIMG0036Small.jpg

Need to get another coat of wax on 2 nite more depth of shine B)B)

PC is an awesum piece of kit...very happy with the results, now the paint is as good as it will get I'll use the pc for waxing & general stuff.

Only trouble is now is other peeps wanting you do do their cars..... inlaws, daughters boyfriend etc.

• 2 months later...

another top post on this site, just ebayed some stuff and will look out for the offers you folk mention, ive been working at a place just recently where they get a valeter out to do their cars for them, just curious as to what hes usin to jet wash the INSIDE???? anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...