A simple guide to car detailing

Dave

Both polishes and waxes will differ from one to another, so it'll depend on the product as tohow to use it. In the case of Megs Crystal (I assume that's what you've gone for?) then the polish is best placed in the bin where it do no one any harm. The wax is best used in the same way. The paint cleaner can go in there too, it's s***e. :teeth::p

Massive generalisation; you aint gonna find any good detailing products in Halfords. There's a reason they literally give away a third of their stock after all! :lol:

I suspect your main problem, aside from rubbish products, is that you're using too much product when applying.

In general, polishes need to be worked until the abrasives have broken down. Some take very little effort to do this, some take much more. Some are really oily once broken down and benefit from a little curing time before buffing (or a millitonty cloths - same, same), others dry out quickly and need to be buffed (or dusted) frequently and instantly.

Waxes are similar, some bond quicker than others. Some require 2/3 minutes to cure, some you can leave for days on end (Poorboys is awesome for that, 5 minute cure time, you can leave it a week and it'll still buff easily). To get a wax to buff easily, you need to make sure you are applying the absolute thinest layer possible and it'll always be a doddle to buff off afterwards. And the pot will last you infinitely longer too.

I bought all Meguairs simply because that's what this post suggested.

Deep crystal - stage 1 paint cleaner

stage 2 polish

stage 3 carnauba wax

Leather conditioner + cleaner

Interior plastic detailer

Ultimate black

My other option would be to go for autoglym product. They are slightly cheaper. The shop assistants were telling me that Meguair is the best product so I took their advice.

Spent like £50 on cleaning products....

The shop assistants were telling me that Meguair is the best product

They lied. ;)

Spent like £50 on cleaning products....

Don't worry, I'll have you spending multiples of that before you know it... just ask anyone on here who actually reads my thread. :lol:

PS, AutoGlym are pretty woeful too. Ditch Halfords and check out Polished Bliss instead. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...