A simple guide to car detailing

Dave

Drying towel is jus tthat its for drying the car off after a wash... more absorbant than a microfibre and bigger too, made of different material too.

Microfibres are used to apply polishes/cleaners/waxes etc... and they are also used to buff off but obviously use a clean one. They can be used to dry but i prefer using my drying towel.

Me personally use... water magnet drying towel to dry off the car when wet

Microfibres to apply polish/wax and to buff off the polish/wax

Ahh right gotcha! Cheers :thumbs:

i also don't recommend cheap microfibres... i mean they wont damage the paint etc.. but they not the best made and tend to flake... so after hours of cleaning the last thing you want is bits of cloth of your nice polished and waxed car.

i also don't recommend cheap microfibres... i mean they wont damage the paint etc.. but they not the best made and tend to flake... so after hours of cleaning the last thing you want is bits of cloth of your nice polished and waxed car.

I'v been using microfibre towels from LIDL (£3 for a pack of 3) for at least 2,5 years and despite being cheap, they are very very good! :teeth:B)

Very useful info. :thumbs:

I have been thinking of buying a claybar. As my car is fairly new I am abit worried about damaging the paintwork.. I have read that some are more abrasive than others. I intend buying a fine clay as I have read that they are safer to use and less abrasive?... is the Meguairs Quick Clay a fine clay?

Also has anyone tried the Sonus Paintwork Cleanser? Im also under the impression that this is not as abrasive? Anyone got any good low abrasive alternatives?

To be fair, eBay isn't always the cheapest place to buy products! I bought some of the Megs Clay Bar today from Halford for £11 and most of the eBay retailers are selling it for £14+ inc p+p :thumbdown:

Conversley, got a Megs Water Magnet Towel for £7.50 off eBay :yahoo:

Still not sure when I should be polishing : :blush:

I hose it

Shampoo it

Dry it

Apply the wax

Buff the wax

:surrender:

In anticipation of my 350z converitable arriving next weekend and having never had a convertible before can anyone tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing to clean the fabric roof. I've heard that normal car shampoo is a big no no...... Help and advise would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

In anticipation of my 350z converitable arriving next weekend and having never had a convertible before can anyone tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing to clean the fabric roof. I've heard that normal car shampoo is a big no no...... Help and advise would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

Best Advice: Put roof down. Sit in drivers seat. Drive off. Don't look back :yahoo:

I used Turtle Wax soft top cleaner and conditioner on my MR2 Roadster. Seemed ok. Its pretty expensive at around £16 from Halfords, but only bought it when they had Turtle Wax products buy one get one free... believe that they have got this offer on at the moment...

I also recall another soft top cleaner by Auto glym. Never tried it though.

THe MR2 owners manual said to use hand soap on the soft top. But i never tried this. Most of the time it was just clean water and a sponge, with the occasional use of the Turtle Wax product.

Bought some Megs detailing clay yesterday :teeth:

My only concerning is all the talk about 'marring' the paint :scare: I'm no expert and don't want to wreck my car :wacko: How often should you clay the car?

I have never clayed my car. Dont intend doing it regulary... maybe twice a year. From what I have read just make sure that the paint is well lubed up :p

Just got my clay bar kit of Ebay this morning, me being an old cynic took one look at the lump of plasticene they had sent and thought WTF this :scare:

anyway gave it a go as per instructions and I have to say WOW :thumbs:B)

I cant believe the difference in finish only got chance to do one wing before work, cant wait to get back this evening to finish it off...

As the label says glass like finish :D

Yeah its one of those things which is obvious 'how to' once you get going :)

If theres any chance of damaging my zed, I'm sure to find :wacko:

May give it a go, but my cars only 12 weeks old so might not actually see much benefit :surrender:

Sarnie may only have been registered 12 weeks ago ,but its been standing around in a compound somewhere for years :p

:bye: at Michael Bluff, were you on the MR2ROC mate? as for cleaning and protecting the top on the 350z, well you need only two products:

Firstly this link shows what the hood is made of (i.e: Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC))

http://www.wolfsteins.com/imports.htm

And to clean and protect it there products wil do the trick, i got some in a few weeks back. I spent a lot of time resaeaching the same thing for the Porker and the MR2 Roadsters i had :) , but normally just some warm water and gentle scrub will work wonders.

Check this thread out for more info :

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/show ... hp?t=31642

There's also pletny of talk about it on the ZRoadsterowners (http://350zroadsterclub.com/) board, and after reading pages and pages from all the boards its the one for me.

Andy

:bye: at Michael Bluff, were you on the MR2ROC mate? as for cleaning and protecting the top on the 350z, well you need only two products:

Andy

Yeah I did register about 3years ago, but didnt use it that much.

Just got my clay bar kit of Ebay this morning, me being an old cynic took one look at the lump of plasticene they had sent and thought WTF this :scare:

I cant believe the difference in finish only got chance to do one wing before work, cant wait to get back this evening to finish it off...

Just been to Halfords in Chesterfield and they didnt have any clay bar kits in stock... there seems to be a lack of decent shops for car detailing in this area. Anyone know of any?

Just been to Halfords in Chesterfield and they didnt have any clay bar kits in stock... there seems to be a lack of decent shops for car detailing in this area. Anyone know of any?

try big Halfords in Derby on Wyvern complex, I,d give em a bell first though :)

I used Turtle Wax soft top cleaner and conditioner on my MR2 Roadster. Seemed ok. Its pretty expensive at around £16 from Halfords, but only bought it when they had Turtle Wax products buy one get one free... believe that they have got this offer on at the moment...

I also recall another soft top cleaner by Auto glym. Never tried it though.

THe MR2 owners manual said to use hand soap on the soft top. But i never tried this. Most of the time it was just clean water and a sponge, with the occasional use of the Turtle Wax product.

Cheers will have a look around and experiment a bit.

May give it a go, but my cars only 12 weeks old so might not actually see much benefit :surrender:

Sarnie may only have been registered 12 weeks ago ,but its been standing around in a compound somewhere for years :p

Oy! Dont say that!* :byebye:

*swiftly opens the clay bar wrapping and filling up a bucket as we speak :yahoo:

*swiftly opens the clay bar wrapping and filling up a bucket as we speak :yahoo:

let us know what you think to the clay bar :thumbs: (mind you as though I have to ask :surrender: )

(mind you as though I have to ask :surrender: )

Whats that supposed to mean? :boxing: