Zeds for sale at under 10K!!

sunset350z

would you buy a high mileage Zed!!  

65 members have voted

1. 1. would you buy a high mileage Zed!!

• Yes, if its in good condition.
    • No, never

There is a few newbies on here looking for a 350z GT for less than £10,000 with no more than 50,000 miles on the clock. It's virtually impossible to find this spec at the moment.

Well, as some of you know i sold my 54 plate for £9200 but it had 83,000 miles on the clock. Even so, the car still runs like new and i'm sure the new owner will agree with me there!!

Here is a car i viewed whilst looking for a zed, to replace the one i wrote off in May of this year> http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1043034.html The reason i didn't buy it was only because it was out of my price range of £11250 when it was up for sale in June. At the time it had 72k on the clock and apart from the price i would have bought it there and then. :thumbs: The guy was really nice and genuine and the car was stunning. He wasn't too fussed about selling it as he loved it and thats why he would'nt come down on price at the time. Now with another 5000 miles on it he's readvertised it, and goddam it, if i had the spare cash i would snap it out of his hands. An 05 for less than £10000 :scare::surrender:

With cars of this caliber, mileage isn't so important. As with all cars, as long as it's been well looked after and serviced to the book then it will serve you well for a long way past the magic 100k mark. The 350z being no exception with the almost bullet proof and torquey 3.5 v6 engine.

I've had two high mileage zeds now and i can't understand why there is such a stigma attached to these "mega" mileage cars? I never had a days trouble with either car in the year and a half of zed ownership. Ok it wasn't a long time, and i may be one of the lucky ones, but still!!

I'm sure there's a lot of owners out there who would agree with me, and loads more who wouldn't. But just remember, you can pay upto 15k for an '05' with low mileage and then spend a lot more on top modding it and changing bits that are still in good condition. Or you could spend less than 10k for a high miler and have 5k spare to do as you please and still have the car of your dreams. I know which one i prefer :thumbs:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not dissing owners with low mileage zeds. I'm just trying to make potential new owners realise that if they have a certain budget then they shouldn't dismiss the high mileage Zeds either.

Thoughts please!!

I have always been "scared" of high milage cars due to the many expencive problems you could have. My Z was the highest milage car I bought with 52k on it and paid just over 10K, went to a garage the other day and got to replace few minor things + have to replace the shock absorbers, overall I'm very happy with what I bought, but, even if I was on a thight budget I wouldn't gone over the 55K miles, too risky, not many people look after their car propelly!

With FSH I'd be quite happy with a high miler. The one Steve links to looks a bargain but a bit too "rusty" for me. :p

I'd probably draw the line if I thought it would take me over 100k and, of course, it would need to be pretty cheap because at some stage I'd have to offload it with a higher mileage....

To me it all comes down to how many miles you are expecting to put on the car yourself. I bought a reasonably high-miler Z at the time, simply because I knew I'd only put 4-5k on her per year. And buying a well cared for high miler with good service history is infinitely better than getting a low miler that's only ever been driven to/from the shops - remember most engine wear happens as the engine warms up, first 15 minutes/10 miles of driving.

Steve

To me it all comes down to how many miles you are expecting to put on the car yourself. I bought a reasonably high-miler Z at the time, simply because I knew I'd only put 4-5k on her per year. And buying a well cared for high miler with good service history is infinitely better than getting a low miler that's only ever been driven to/from the shops - remember most engine wear happens as the engine warms up, first 15 minutes/10 miles of driving.

Steve

Another good point there Steve, thats why i wasn't so worried about mileage on mine, as i was using it as the odd weekend driver. A full service history and not many owners sealed the deal on my two Zeds.

I made 500odd bhp out of a 126k mile supra with the original engine and its still doing trackdays, however high mileage is hard to shift to the majority of people with the lack of knowledge that if you look after things they last.

I went for a low mileage one because id never had anything like this, id always owned 100k plus cars, just my preference now....

I suppose there's the same argument for imports as someone mentioned earlier about the high milers, if you dont have a good budget then you can pick up a cheaper import but still own a Z

In the last few years I've had a couple of cars I've used as commuters for the winter months:

- Audi A4 1.9TDi (2002, 53 plate bought at 111,000, sold at 124,000 miles)

- Vx Vectra (2005, 05 Plate bought at 128,000 miles, sold at 133,000 miles)

The Vectra needed the front section of exhaust for an MOT; servicing and tyres apart, this is the only cash I spent on either car. Both were well serviced, the Audi in good condition and the Vectra an Ex-taxi and a bit rough around the edges but both ran well despite the mileages.

Given the above, my experience of high mileage cars is that there's nothing to be afraid of, just make sure it's been well serviced and you should be ok. Build quality wise the Vectra was not in the same league as the 350z but if that could take the abuse it got with no problem then a high mileage 350z would be no trouble at all..... As long as you service it well.

I also had a Honda Civic for 11 years which I used for track days, absolutely hammering it until it was over 100,000 miles and it never missed a beat.

I bought my Zed at 18,000 miles and 17 months old; 16 months and 18,000 miles on it's been faultless and I would have no qualms about recommending a Zed to anyone, I’ve no experience of a high mileage Zed but have not doubt a well cared for Zed will age well, so if you can pick one up for less than £10k, you'll be getting a lot of car for your money.

i by low mileage for the resale, makes it easier to shift when i sell up.

only my first car had over 100k when i bought it, and my second had 60k when i got it and sold it at 84k,

my last 3 cars have all had less than 15k on the clock, and i would usually sell a car at around 40k milage wise now, not on age of ownership.

If you price a car right you will sell it easily. Took me 3 days from advertising on here to waving goodbye to my Zed.

people always look for a car with the lowest milage they can afford,

100% incorrect.

I think people, me included, look at other aspects first and foremost e.g colour, spec and price. When buying my M3, I knew I wanted a black one, then I wanted it to have certain things such as Sat nav & electric seats etc, then I narrowed those down into what I wanted to pay. Once I had whittled those cars down, only then did mileage come into it for me...........if your statement was true then people would be driving around in coloured cars that they despise because they bought the lowest milage cars they could afford..... ;)

must be me then,

i settled on a silver instead of a black as the silver had lower milage and was in better condition.

your right to a point but milage is still a deciding factor. even after all your otyher choices you still look at milage, it may not be at the front, but its still there.

must be me then,

i settled on a silver instead of a black as the silver had lower milage and was in better condition.

your right to a point but milage is still a deciding factor. even after all your otyher choices you still look at milage, it may not be at the front, but its still there.

It's how you prioritise it.

I would NEVER settle on colour for my fun car as it's important to me. On my run about it's a bonus that I actually quite like it.

Condition is always important. A well cared for 50k mile car would be picked over an uncared for 15k car by me anyday.