Tracking

bernmc

Toddled off to the local Britannia Tyres in Nuneaton today to have the Goodyear F1's fitted. Manage to avoid the Inbred :yuck: and got there safely :sweat:

I asked them to check the tracking while they were at it. Much excitement about working on such a nice car, and the enthusiastic tracking dude was only too keen to show me his new toy - machine called a supertracker. It's a computerised system with a huge database of cars and all their tracking details - camber/toe-in/thrust angle etc. Adjusts itself for wheel and tyre sizes too. It even had my imported VR4 in it's database.

Anyway, just dial in the correct car from the database, then car gets plonked on the ramp with the wheels in metal dishes so the can move freely when adjustments are made. Then a cunning sender unit gets attached to each wheel: (sorry for the phone pic quality!)

supertrackeronramp.jpg

supertrackermodule.jpg

The modules talk to the main PC wirelesly.

In a couple of seconds, you get a screen like this, with all the relevant tracking measurements:

supertracker.jpg

That's just for the rears! Green is in spec, yellow slightly out, and red way out.

Select the one you want to fiddle with, and you get a full screen view:

supertracker1.jpg

This is updated in real time as the spanner man twiddles his nuts ( :bounce: ), so he just watches the screen as he adjusts. Get the needle of the guage pointing straight up and the job's done.

At the end of it all, you get a printout with all the before and after values:

supertrackerprintout.jpg

Neat huh! £15 per wheel adjusted. Compare that with what your dealer will try to charge you for four wheel alignment!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I've just tried to locate my nearest Britannia Tyres and they dont seem to have a website! Google comes up with a few different branches but nothing local to me.

Are the nationwide (no, not the building society) or do they have a directory somewhere?

Thnks

Supertracker hey :thumbs: Top report mate, Made up you've posted this especially after I got a stealer quote of over £100 for the same work. Local Britannia it is :teeth:

Liam let me know when you are going for this and where as I'd like to have mine done too :)

only thing to make sure about is that their database has the correct info for our Z, that's all :)

On the service manual we should have the info, anyone cares to dig it out and compare to what we've just seen? (my manual cd is at home)

Liam/Val,

Yeah I'd be interested too...... if you find one nearby. :thumbs:

And me!!! Sounds like a Z outing is on the cards, we could always get them tracked then have a day out somewhere?

No, thats not an offer to sort it!!

Supertracker hey :thumbs: Top report mate, Made up you've posted this especially after I got a stealer quote of over £100 for the same work. Local Britannia it is :teeth:

Liam let me know when you are going for this and where as I'd like to have mine done too :)

only thing to make sure about is that their database has the correct info for our Z, that's all :)

On the service manual we should have the info, anyone cares to dig it out and compare to what we've just seen? (my manual cd is at home)

Np guy's,,, I'll do some research and try find the closest place for us. Perhaps negotiate a discount :D

I also e-mailed them asking for equipeed locations in my area. Bet they cant understand why all the sudden interest!

I also suggested they put an index of equipped locations on their site, a bit like Greenenergy do for their 99Ron Tesco Petrol locations. I said it might help persuade some more depots to install the kit.

No reply as yet!

I also e-mailed them asking for equipeed locations in my area. Bet they cant understand why all the sudden interest!

I also suggested they put an index of equipped locations on their site, a bit like Greenenergy do for their 99Ron Tesco Petrol locations. I said it might help persuade some more depots to install the kit.

No reply as yet!

Did you point them in the site direction????