Dont you just hate it when.......

Jak

Councils "resurface" a road by seemingly just chucking a load of loose stones all over it!!!!

I mean really what is the point???

Sure it might take less time but i bet you they have to do it at least twice as often as they would have to if they just did a proper job??

I have already got at least one chip from driving through one last night en route to my gf's, may have to abstain for a while lol!!

I wonder how well they will look on an invoice for resulting repairs? :boxing:

Sorry for the rant - it just "grinds my gears" :lol:

grinds.jpg

They did the whole road from my house to work...... some 20 miles and left 20mph speed restrictions up for 2 whole weeks!! :rant: and didnt re-do the white lines for another week there after :rant: My comute took twice as long as a result! Tw@ts!! :angry:

Thank god i'm not the only one - was worried i might sound like a wally!! :blush:

What i dont understand is why they dont roll it in properly afterwards?? i realise they are saving money not hiring the roller and just letting the traffic do it, but i bet it causes more accidents etc so the money they save there just ends up in the NHS having to deal with the aftermath of it all...... an lets face it the traffic dosn't roll it in properly either.

What really bugged me was the fact i deliberatly took an alternative route to the gf's last night because of this but low and behold they had done it on the alternate route too!! :angry::rant:

Well it bugs me as they never seem to bother putting up signs either.

The second time I'd ever been out on my motorbike they had done this half way round a corner with no signs. Obviously I wasn't (and still am not) skilled enough to hold a big slide on a motorbike. Luckily I stayed upright as I was pootling round but could have become a statistic on a motorbike with 12 miles on the clock....

Aye, theres a road that goes into bishop auckland that they have done in the last year or so? that has signs along it 'skid risk 20mph' next to the original 40 mph signs, it's a ridiculous surface - you can hear the stones pinging about, just gotta take a deep breath and hope for the best. :bang:

Aye, theres a road that goes into bishop auckland that they have done in the last year or so? that has signs along it 'skid risk 20mph' next to the original 40 mph signs, it's a ridiculous surface - you can hear the stones pinging about, just gotta take a deep breath and hope for the best. :bang:

Haha, sounds like most of the roads around Bishop bud :lol:

They did them on the estate I live on about 2 months ago. In places it was inches deep (that's 25mm & above for the younger members) for about 4 days before they swept some of it up. Even now you still here pinging at times :scare: no matter what speed you are doing. Obviously it is a much cheaper, and quicker, way of resurfacing.

The road round the corner from me has been done 3 times in the past 9 years. :wacko:

The council leave a sign at the ends of the road "LOOSE SURFACE. RISK OF SKIDDING" and that's it.

The first time I thought they were coming back to "finish off" the job properly, but they just leave our cars to "roller" half the stones into the road and "fling" the rest all over the place.

Worst thing is the section they always "resurface" is a long sweeping bend which gets more wear, but this must be the most dangerous to have a loose road surface especially as there are pedestrianised pavements on both sides.

DEFFO A FATALITY WAITING TO HAPPEN :rant:

I had this problem last year - chipped the windscreen....

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15108

I tried to claim compensation, but was refused because they said that either I or the other car had been doing more than 10mph. Not that they had any proof of this, but I didn’t have proof that we weren’t.

I took it as far as writing to my MP, and although I ultimately got nothing out of it, at least it made the senior bods in Herts Highways sit up and take notice. I also got hold of the address of the contractors that did the work and sent a letter to them. I got a nice letter back from their solicitors.

The best thing we can do is make a fuss. If everyone makes claims and writes letters, they will eventually get the message and stop this stupid and dangerous “so called maintenanceâ€.

I complained to our local council about this too. Tried to explain why it was a bad idea to leave loose stones all over the place, but i think the guy wasnt listening. They claimed it needed doing as the road had failed a "skid" test. Told him that the road was in a far worse state now, stones all over the place and no white lines, but he wasn't interested. :rant:

They claimed it needed doing as the road had failed a "skid" test. Told him that the road was in a far worse state now, stones all over the place and no white lines, but he wasn't interested. :rant:

They turn the road into a skid pan ‘cause it was a skid risk, that defines the term ironic right there.... :lol:

When the road round my way got done it wasn't swept or white lined for 4 weeks, so when my window got chipped I had a serious grievances at the length of time the road had been left in its semi-road state....... and I got duly compensated with a new window.

That reminds me of the last time I drove over one of these, was in someone else's car... The smart bulb in charge allowed the cars to get onto the fresh gravel too early while the tar was still sticking... So all cars were ending up with about a ton of stones stuck all over the undersides, including wheels, brakes, joints, coilovers, the lot. It got really scary, you could hear all kinds of strange noises when braking and turning, didn't thought the car would make it out of that to be honest...

The bad thing was that we already drove a good deal on that disaster and we just didn't have the courage to drive back to express our feelings about it... car did clean up in the end, but next time I'll try to stay as far as I can from this kind of "surfacing"...

Jak, why don't you phone the necessary council offices and have a wee word with them. If you don't let thoughts be known nothing will be done. Get the neigbhours in on the act too.

It has crossed my mind, and i still may do it, but unfortunatly, like others have said, you ultimatly dont really get listened too. Still winds me up a treat though!!

Jak