Space Saver Issues

markie

Hey people I am hoping you can help me with a query...

I had a blow out on the drivers side front tyre tonight, managed to get parked up quickly and safely albeit on a fairly busy road with lorries thundering past so I called the RAC to assisit me (yeah i'm useless when it comes to this things, plus the car was pretty close to the road and i didn't want to get hit by one of those lorries while i tried to change a tyre).

Recovery man takes the front wheel off and goes to replace it with the space saver when he says there is a problem with the space saver... It doesn't fit the front or over the brembo caliper, but looks like it will fit the back. Is this correct? Me knowing nothing about these issues I couldn't say. He was unsure about removing the rear to place on the front and then put the space saver on the back because of the difference in front/rear sizes.

So I wonder if there was any truth in this or if he got it wrong as it was getting dark or maybe I have an incorrect space saver? Any help would be really appreciated as currently the car is on the drive after being brought back on a truck and I wondered if I need to get a mobile fitter out or can swap the tyres over to get the car to a garage.

Cheers in advance.

Interesting .... and if you have after-market wheels, say 275/35/19s on the rear and have to move one to the front ... is that gonna cause issues when turning (rubbing on full lock perhaps) ?

Can of tyre weld? Thats what Phil used to carry because of his BBK. I guess any time you move away from stock, the stock space saver may no longer work. Remember its just to get you to limp to the nearest garage (sub 50 I think they say) so you should be able to suffice as you have to drive really slowly anyway.

It was the same on my Type R - the space saver never cleared the front brakes and needed to be put on the back and the tyres swapped over - although the tyres were not different sizes like on the zed. Is this not covered in the handbook at all?

I dont know if I'd want to run like this though:

275 -- 245

| |

SS -- 275

Surely that would be dangerous as fck?

not if your gently limping home.

i wouldn't want to track it with that setup, but as a method of sub 50 drive home gently it would be fine.

I dont know if I'd want to run like this though:

275 -- 245

| |

SS -- 275

Surely that would be dangerous as fck?

not if your gently limping home.

i wouldn't want to track it with that setup, but as a method of sub 50 drive home gently it would be fine.

Exactly, it is meant to be a last resort to get you to a garage where you can get the tyre repaired or replaced. Its not meant to be for driving around properly! It will most likely balls up TCS, but you can drive without that to get you to the garage.

I could be wrong and I will double check later when i have read the book but I think the book states that you cannot swap the tyres over as it affects the traction. As I say I am not 100% sure so i will check the book to confirm.

Hold on a sec, I just thought, don't the rays have a peg on them to stop you putting the fronts and backs the wrong way round? :wacko:

i think there is a tool in the kit under the boot underlay for removing the stud ;)

ohhh. THATS what its for. :thumbs: