Up rev tuning 350 and 370Z

Mark@Abbey m/s

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27646

On Andy car when logging ecu inputs we saw 20 degree C difference inlet charge temperature between running the STD air boxes and the Nismo filter kit , even with running the bonnet up there was still a great difference in temperautre between the 2 set up,s. I managed to tweak the map to regain the lost BHP when using the Nismo filters mostly by tweaking the fuel map and cam set up , but if we could keep the inlet temps as low a sthe STD car I would imagime we may well see a few bhp gained , but in my eyes your never keep these filters cold enough when they are bolted in the engine bay. We may well try STD air box fitted with HKS filters to see if this makes any difference.

Re Up rev tuning;

Reflash is a before and after dyno run. No extra dyno time included . If your car is alot different to what we have a reflash for , you will definitley need a few hours dyno time , this is charged at £85-00 + vat (£97-75 inc vat)

We are slowly working through the model range , 1st with stock cars. We will never find massive amounts of BHP from these very well stock tuned cars , but we can nibble at the maps , and help with smoothing the BHP and torque curves out gain a few bhp/torque here and there .

If you have other items fitted i.e exhaust, high flow cats or test pipes , plenum spacer and a good set of filters they will give a few more BHP and torque but again not massive amounts.

hope this helps.

Mark

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27646

On Andy car when logging ecu inputs we saw 20 degree C difference inlet charge temperature between running the STD air boxes and the Nismo filter kit , even with running the bonnet up there was still a great difference in temperautre between the 2 set up,s. I managed to tweak the map to regain the lost BHP when using the Nismo filters mostly by tweaking the fuel map and cam set up , but if we could keep the inlet temps as low a sthe STD car I would imagime we may well see a few bhp gained , but in my eyes your never keep these filters cold enough when they are bolted in the engine bay. We may well try STD air box fitted with HKS filters to see if this makes any difference.

Re Up rev tuning;

Reflash is a before and after dyno run. No extra dyno time included . If your car is alot different to what we have a reflash for , you will definitley need a few hours dyno time , this is charged at £85-00 + vat (£97-75 inc vat)

We are slowly working through the model range , 1st with stock cars. We will never find massive amounts of BHP from these very well stock tuned cars , but we can nibble at the maps , and help with smoothing the BHP and torque curves out gain a few bhp/torque here and there .

If you have other items fitted i.e exhaust, high flow cats or test pipes , plenum spacer and a good set of filters they will give a few more BHP and torque but again not massive amounts.

hope this helps.

Mark

Nice writeup, I'm using the Apexi drop in filter for the very reason that it seems to run a bit hot when you use any of the non factory kits... also read a filter test where Apexi actually has the best filtration / air 'thingy'...hmm that didnt come out right.

Mark, any updates on the JDM delimiter? (got slagged over the weekend... :blink::bounce: )

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27646

Mark, did you manage to do any logging on the road? The reason I ask is I had my car dyno'd at eurospec 2000 and using ODBII hooked up to my CarPC the intake temps with my pop charger were massively over what they are on the road, at least 15C. We didnt try a run with the bonnet up, but certainly it was a lot hotter intake temps than I experience on the road. Would be interesting to hear if you did some on the road data logging. :)

No didnt do any logging on the road , as I find it very hard to get the same conditions.

But both runs where done in the controlled enviroment in the dyno room, With the STD air box fitted we was seeing inlet temps around 24/25 deg C with the bonnet down , with the Nismo filter kit with the bonnet shut was running around 38/40 deg C and with the Bonnet up it reduced the temp by 3/4 degree,s.

No didnt do any logging on the road , as I find it very hard to get the same conditions.

But both runs where done in the controlled enviroment in the dyno room, With the STD air box fitted we was seeing inlet temps around 24/25 deg C with the bonnet down , with the Nismo filter kit with the bonnet shut was running around 38/40 deg C and with the Bonnet up it reduced the temp by 3/4 degree,s.

Sounds about the same temps I have seen with my popcharger (near enough the same as the Nismo in this case). On the road the temps drop massively. My inlet temps on the way to the dyno on the day I had mine done were about 17C but when on the dyno rocketed to more than 30C. When back on the road they dropped straight away to ~17C again. Should really break out the airbox and do a run with that and see what difference it makes. The popcharger does suffer from heatsoak when stationary, but when moving its about the same as the std airbox from what I've seen :)

Sounds about the same temps I have seen with my popcharger (near enough the same as the Nismo in this case). On the road the temps drop massively. My inlet temps on the way to the dyno on the day I had mine done were about 17C but when on the dyno rocketed to more than 30C. When back on the road they dropped straight away to ~17C again. Should really break out the airbox and do a run with that and see what difference it makes. The popcharger does suffer from heatsoak when stationary, but when moving its about the same as the std airbox from what I've seen :)

Sitting in almost stationary traffic on the M25 last weekend for an hour saw my inlet temp up to over 80°C! Once moving though it dropped straight back down to 20°C. That's with a Pop charger, so yes, when not moving the temps rocket.

Its also mainly that the fans at a dyno cant move anywhere near the volume of air you get when really driving. This means the numbers are artificially high when on a dyno and using popcharger like intakes. So although Andy's temps were up on the dyno, they are probably no different to stock on the road :thumbs:

Well just been out on the road with a car with a NON std air filter kit fitted , def runs higher than std air box car, but 1 thing the heat soak is real bad, the temp sensor drops quickly but the inlet plenum it self stays warm for ages.

In my opinon the STD airbox works very well , will try a car very soon with HKS filters in a STD airbox , but I feel save your money with regards an air filter set up and leave your car STD.

Well just been out on the road with a car with a NON std air filter fitted , def runs higher than std air box car, but 1 thing the heat soak is real bad, the temp sensor drops quickly but the inlet plenum it self stays warm for ages.

In my opinon the STD airbox works very well , will try a car very soon with HKS filters in a STD airbox , but I feel save your money with regards an air filter set up and leave your car STD.

Do you think the Motordyne iso thermal spacer would helpmuch Mark?

See you at 9 tomorrow :thumbs:

Well just been out on the road with a car with a NON std air filter kit fitted , def runs higher than std air box car, but 1 thing the heat soak is real bad, the temp sensor drops quickly but the inlet plenum it self stays warm for ages.

Interesting find. I've only ever monitored the intake temp. Just goes to prove the std airbox is the best design going! Still love the noise of the popcharger over it though :blush:

If you could have a thermal spacer to go between the lower manifold and cylinder head that might help, will stop heat from the motor getting to the inlet set up , but a thermal manifold spacer I dont think will do a lot. Manifold spacer only really helps freeing up the flow to the front 2 cylinders.

Mark

Interesting to see that the stock airbox is actually better at keeping air intake temperatures down. Not the first car to have seen that on!

I know its erring a bit offtopic only CF or similar enclosed filters (like px viper) seem compete for maintaing cold airflow whislt stationary. Dunno if you can do it on zeds but I've used a hacksaw modified airbox to create a heatshield before for open filters.

What about the 07 onwards with the HR engine???

I recently changed the standard box with the nismo kit with heat shields.... :dry:

Its been known for a long time that the std airbox (06+ especially) are the best intake for performance if you are running an NA stock-ish Zed. Remember, Nissan know their stuff, they know how much air the engine needs, and until you take it well out of its comfort zone (ie stroker kit or FI), the std box with performance filter will be the best bang for buck going. However the noise of the open filters is awesome, and once moving, I'm not convinced that the sealed airbox will give much better performance than enclosed as we saw in Andy's thread :)

What about the 07 onwards with the HR engine???

I recently changed the standard box with the nismo kit with heat shields.... :dry:

Its been known for a long time that the std airbox (06+ especially) are the best intake for performance if you are running an NA stock-ish Zed. Remember, Nissan know their stuff, they know how much air the engine needs, and until you take it well out of its comfort zone (ie stroker kit or FI), the std box with performance filter will be the best bang for buck going. However the noise of the open filters is awesome, and once moving, I'm not convinced that the sealed airbox will give much better performance than enclosed as we saw in Andy's thread :)

i completely understand both of you....but why would nismo make something that decreases performance??? Its like Brabus fiddling with a merc and making it slower!!! :thumbdown:

I want the boxes back on now!!! :dry:

i completely understand both of you....but why would nismo make something that decreases performance??? Its like Brabus fiddling with a merc and making it slower!!! :thumbdown:

Because people will buy them! I would expect that they do flow better than the std air box, which will be one of their selling points. However, I'm not convinced that the OEM box is ever maxed out by a pretty std NA tune so would still work slightly better. But for the noise, its well worth it! Also, I have added a duct on my car from the bumper to the intake and that has massively reduced the time it takes for the heat soak drop when moving. Its all about getting air to the filters :thumbs:

As for Nismo producing stuff that decreases performance, why do they make things like floor mats and gear knobs? They sold out years ago ;)