Bilberry wheel damage...BM learns the hard way

BulletMagnet

Mate, try it with something milder first! Christ you dont attack laquer with Autosol, thats metal polish, not for laquer! :scare: Try some scratchX or AG SRP. If you have gone through the laquer you will know about it as you will be able to feel the difference in the surface.

Yeah, gonna get some ScartchX tomorrow, although I do have AG SRP here, but either way, it's pissing down outside so it will have to wait for now

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really strange and you have my sympathy - not that that really helps you.

I use Bilberry every working day and always use it neat.

I couldn't count the number of different types of wheels I have worked on with the product inc' mirror finish rims and it has never done anything like that.

IMO and I may be proved wrong there is no way that a safe cleaner like Bilberry could eat through lacquer.

I can contact Greg at ValetPRO whose product it is if you want to talk to him direct.

This is really strange and you have my sympathy - not that that really helps you.

I couldn't count the number of different types of wheels I have worked on with the product inc' mirror finish rims and it has never done anything like that.

IMO and I may be proved wrong there is no way that a safe cleaner like Bilberry could eat through lacquer.

I can contact Greg at ValetPRO whose product it is if you want to talk to him direct.

Tbh, I actually hoping that it's only layers of Rimwax that have been eaten rather than lacquer.

After I tried some Autosol on one of the wheels, and then ran my finger over, I felt no real transition unless the lacquer is really really whisper thin.

I will have at it tomorrow again, but with Megs ScratchX and see where it gets me.

If all else fails I guess I'll just have to contact Pristine Alloy Wheels and see if they can strip and re-lacquer. (and prepare myself for a trouser soiling quote...)

Tbh, I actually hoping that it's only layers of Rimwax that have been eaten rather than lacquer.

After I tried some Autosol on one of the wheels, and then ran my finger over, I felt no real transition unless the lacquer is really really whisper thin.

I will have at it tomorrow again, but with Megs ScratchX and see where it gets me.

If all else fails I guess I'll just have to contact Pristine Alloy Wheels and see if they can strip and re-lacquer. (and prepare myself for a trouser soiling quote...)

Hope it is the wax. Be really careful though mate as I have some Volk GTS's (polished lips too) and I can tell you the laquer is really thin. I wouldn't even use autosol unless you have to.

I wouldn't use autosol on it, :nono: use something milder!! If you haven't got megs then go and buy some :thumbs:

Mark i am so sorry this has happend mate :headhurt:

Autosol is not good on chrome, is will put fine scratches all over it :scare:

A normal polish will do a better job imo, i have tested it.

Since i have had my wheels i will and only ever clean them with mild soapy water and rinse with a hose pipe and then a wheel wax after.

Hope you get them sorted mate :thumbs:

shame Mark :(, strange bilberry has done that seen as its not really got anything in it to do that...

You tried claying them? As has been said dont use autosol its too harsh... I wouldnt have thought you have got under the clearcoat, its not that thick but again its not that thin! And as you have been wacking on loads of wax it could be that.. Clay should just take the wax off and you will see if you have really scared them...

You shouldnt really have to use a strong bilberry yet, your normal shampoo should have done the the trick as the wheels are brand new and considering the recent weather deffo not dirty! or not that dirty...

Did you snowfoam the wheels and then bilberry? As it looks like the residue is where the water that still has soap in it has collected and sat..... Also did you jet wash them after? If so, try just using the hose close to the wheel on and around each spoke and behind the wheel...

Best way to stop that, get a leaf blower and give them a blast to get the water out of the nooks and cranies...

Anyhow! hope you sort it... :thumbs:

shame Mark :(, strange bilberry has done that seen as its not really got anything in it to do that...

You tried claying them? As has been said dont use autosol its too harsh... I wouldnt have thought you have got under the clearcoat, its not that thick but again its not that thin! And as you have been wacking on loads of wax it could be that.. Clay should just take the wax off and you will see if you have really scared them...

You shouldnt really have to use a strong bilberry yet, your normal shampoo should have done the the trick as the wheels are brand new and considering the recent weather deffo not dirty! or not that dirty...

Did you snowfoam the wheels and then bilberry? As it looks like the residue is where the water that still has soap in it has collected and sat..... Also did you jet wash them after? If so, try just using the hose close to the wheel on and around each spoke and behind the wheel...

Best way to stop that, get a leaf blower and give them a blast to get the water out of the nooks and cranies...

Anyhow! hope you sort it... :thumbs:

Ah, that claying idea might be worth a shot too, didn't think of that.

Yes, I did pressure wash the Bilberry off, as instructed on the bottle.

Hope it's sunny tomorrow, then I can try different things.

sorry to see that bullet. very strange. sounds like layer of wax though so gentle cleaning will hopefully sort it out. If I were you I would clean it in stages just to make sure its not the lacquer your taking off bud.

hope you get it sorted soon

Right, lets go back to the begining, how many layers of wax do you have on there? I agree it could have reacted with the wax, so a quick was with simple water and Fairy washing up liquid should strip it off. When you have done that, try claying it. IF that makes no difference then next up would be to try some very unabrasive polish/cleanser like Dodo Lime Prime, PB SSR1 or AG SRP or even some AG Bug and Tar remover. If that doesnt shift it then you know you are into the laquer in some way. Try something more abrasive list PB SSR2 or one of the megs proper polishes. Although this is getting into a teritory where you are more likely to want to call in a pro as if you do too much you may take off the laquer (very unlikely but dont blame me if you do!)

Incidentally, do you not have a local wheel refub place near you? They will be able to say pretty much instantly what is wrong with them just by having them in front of them :thumbs:

Will try Fairy Liquid, thanks Chris.

I've also found out that there is a professional detailed here in Ipswich, company called DirtyDubs. Went round the house but as expected he was out. The neighbour did say that he usually gets home about 5pm, so I'll pop round then.

Mentally, I'm preparing myself for a refurb job.

Well, here's the bad news.

It has actually eaten the lacquer.

I went to a local car detailer that does cars aswell as boats and he tried a variety of differt polishes, from very mild to medium abrasiveness.

What we realized was when we polished the problem area, the cloth would go black, indicating it's actually polishing the aluminium.

On another area on the same wheel the cloth would stay clear, showing that the lacquer is still in place.

I'll just leave it as is for now, just gonna put Rimwax on the wheels for at least some protection and get them refurbed when I can.

Good news is, I have now found a place to cater for all my Meguiars stuff, he stocks everything afaik.

The guys company is called Dirty Dubs and goes by the name of James (but I'm not really sure about the name cos tbh, I've forgotten already, sry)

Really friendly chap and really helpful.

Did mention the forums to him and he may register on here. He also mentioned that his missus is perhaps looking for a Zed too.

Here is his site http://www.dirty-dubs.co.uk/

Sorry to hear the news mate. Its horrid when you start to see your mirror finished dishes go bad :thumbdown: Now that you have chunk of laquer missing I would have thought the rest of it will start coming off so I'd try and sort them as soon as you can.

If Nick from Clenz reads this, could you please tell ValetPro to change the instructions on the bottle.

Not placing blame, but it may avoid others from having this happening to them.

I know that what I will be told is that I should have started with a dilluted mixture rather than a neat application.

Possibly add a warning for wheels with polished lips.

Reduce the amount of dwell time stated for "neat" application.

Change the instructions to do each wheel individually rather than "Spray all wheels, allow to dwell"

Cant you get some compensation Mark as you followed their intructions to the letter? Guessing a refurb will set you bk 70-100

Dan

Like I said, they will probably say I should have started with a dilluted mixture first and then go up in strength as opposed to using it neat from the off.

Tis ok, I had to learn the hard way, changed the thread title to reflect that.