Bilberry wheel damage...BM learns the hard way

BulletMagnet

I bought some Bilberry Wheel Safe Cleaner from i4detailing to clean my Volks.

Read the instructions and proceeded to use it 1:1 neat, because I thought they were very dirty.

Proceeded to spray all four wheels, let it dwell and then resprayed and then agitated with a brush.

When I was doing the brushwork, I noticed to my horror that where the cleaner had pooled in the dish, it had eaten the lacquer.

I then finished cleaning the car in a somber mood, didn't even wax her.

Dried the car and then put some Rimwax on the wheels so it had at least some sort of protection from further damage.

Here are some pics after the wheels have been cleaned and have wax on them...

ns_frontwaxed.jpg

ns_rearwaxed.jpg

os_frontwaxed.jpg

os_rearwaxed.jpg

Lesson for the future...ALWAYS DILUTE BILBERRY!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh crap!

I have used it neat loads of times on my standard non rays alloys with no problem! Nowadays i keep a good layer of wax on and just use water and shampoo. Can't believe that has happened! That's what you get when you buy cheap wheels mark! Sorry couldn't resist...........

Did you use it neat ?.

Is 1:1 not one part concentrate and one part water ?? :blush:

I dilute mine one part Bilberry to at least two parts water

My understanding of "neat" was pure, like when you order whisky "neat", i.e. no ice and dilution...

The question is now....what can I do to fix the damage?

Will it be possible to get them back to the previous state?

Anybody know where this can be done and how much they charge?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

it might buff out with a good polishing machine. it doesn't look like its eaten through the laquer, more like its discoloured it.

if you run your nail over it can you feel a height difference between the damamged and non damamged areas.

i can't remember the instructions on autosol, b ut that might even do it.

Crap, sorry to see this! That must be gutting mate. This is why my wheels only get washed with car shampoo and a wash mitt and no cleaners. And why you should always test any new cleaners in a test patch that cant be seen first.

The question is now....what can I do to fix the damage?

Will it be possible to get them back to the previous state?

Anybody know where this can be done and how much they charge?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

it might buff out with a good polishing machine. it doesn't look like its eaten through the laquer, more like its discoloured it.

if you run your nail over it can you feel a height difference between the damamged and non damamged areas.

i can't remember the instructions on autosol, b ut that might even do it.

Good point rich, I did run my fingers over the area and you can deffo feel a difference in smoothness, but there doesn't seem to be a breach or ridge of any kind.

I dare not attack with Autosol incase I cause more damage...

yes you're both right, neat is nothing added but 1:1 is half cleaner half water.

Hope you get it sorted Mark - what does it look like not so close up? Is it all four wheels?

Yup, all four wheels

If you have actually cut through the laquer then i am afraid you won't ever get the wheels back to the way you had them as I don't know of a company out there who will polish a wheel and laquer it (as its sooo hard due to it being polished, nothing for the paint to adhere to) its a finish that only the wheel manufacturers seem to be able to do.

IF your rims are TRUE slit rims then they can probably be refurbed and have the lip polished back up to be nice and shiny but it will be harder to maintain as you will have lost the laquer protection.

If they are fake split rims where its actually welded then its WAY WAY harder to get the lip polished up in the hard to get to areas near spokes i.e. where you have some damage.

Right, thinking, well they are damaged now anyways, I took some Autosol to the offside front wheel.

Gave it some gentle rubbing and to my suprise it started shining up.

Now, I know I'm about to make myself look a right fool, but is it possible that all I have done is strip the layers of Rimwax that I have built up over the past weeks?

I polished and then ran my finget over and I cannot feel as if there is a breach in the lacquer.

Here's a pic

DSC01472.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

If I have indeed only stripped the Rimwax, then you don't know how relieved I'll be.

Go on then, I deserve a flaming....

Damn, I baby my wheels too much. I phoned Gaz up from Envy and told him I felt right a right tw@t.

I'll get some Megs Scratch X later, then I'll have to roll up my sleeves and do all four wheels, could take some time...

Or I could just use Bilberry neat again and let it soak for longer to get rid of all the wax.....actually, better not.....just in case....

Mate, try it with something milder first! Christ you dont attack laquer with Autosol, thats metal polish, not for laquer! :scare: Try some scratchX or AG SRP. If you have gone through the laquer you will know about it as you will be able to feel the difference in the surface.