Why do alot of people hate diesel run cars?

Zedrush

I think it stems back to the time when diesel engines were noisy rattly boxes with very little power. Built for towing and not a lot else.

Diesel has come on leaps and bounds in a relatively short time.

The current Diesel car I have for work is a 2.0 TDI Altea that pushes 170 bhp and 258 lb ft torque.

The next one is likely to be the Jaguar XF with the 3.0 Diesel S engine. That has 275bhp and a stonking 442 lb ft - while still managing a combined cycle of 42 mpg and a CO2 level of179gkm from an automatic box! It also has a 0-60 of 5.9 seconds.

Im convinced its witchcraft.

Nothing wrong with them for day to day driving, they are just no fun on the track or when having a play. They have loads of torque and better fuel economy than similar sized petrols, but their powerband is usually quite small and they sound crap! For a proper fun drive you really have to have petrol, but for day to day commuting, Diesel wins.

Diesel has come on soo much, we have diesel cars whipping the floor with competitors at lemans (well not true diesel i know)

and who would say no to one of the new v10 diesel Audi R8 or whatever its going to be.....

But come on really, i can't see the phrase "Dieselhead" ever catching on. :lol::lol:

The next one is likely to be the Jaguar XF with the 3.0 Diesel S engine. That has 275bhp and a stonking 442 lb ft - while still managing a combined cycle of 42 mpg and a CO2 level of179gkm from an automatic box! It also has a 0-60 of 5.9 seconds.

There was an advert for the XF in the paper at the weekend. I had to read it twice to make sure I wasn't misreading the figures. They are pretty impressive and I maybe able to afford one when I come around to "settling down".......... in 10 years time :) They don't look too bad either, although I have always had a soft spot for Jags.

Was toying with the idea of getting an XK until the Zed popped into my head.

and better value for money when it comes to consumption?

Not always - it all comes down to a) how much extra the car costs, B) how much more diesel is & c) how many miles you are going to do.

A friend who was looking to get a car reliased over 3 years they would have to average 14K per year to make the difference in petrol and initial cost back for the smaller increased mpg rate (on newer small cars petrols are becoming very close to the diesels in mpg)

And if its for company use, you also need to factor in the difference in benefit in kind when comparing the diesel to the petrol. This is where there is an advantage over petrol cars, as the system is emissions based.

Though shortly, thanks to Mr Darling, the gap starts to close again due to the emissions escalator on company car taxes.

Along with the new writing down rules for cars purchased outright by a company, the whole thing becomes even more complex.

And if its for company use, you also need to factor in the difference in benefit in kind when comparing the diesel to the petrol. This is where there is an advantage over petrol cars, as the system is emissions based.

Though shortly, thanks to Mr Darling, the gap starts to close again due to the emissions escalator on company car taxes.

Along with the new writing down rules for cars purchased outright by a company, the whole thing becomes even more complex.

Boo down with Darling and labour altogether :angry:

Shouldnt they be throwing all the mp's who fiddled tax in prison soon?

Pah,

If I put in false claims to an employer I would have been sacked and most likely prosecuted for fraud or theft or both.

They do the very same thing and get off scott free by saying "oops sorry it was a mistake, Ill pay it back".

What sort of two faced system are we running here.

If I provided myself with a TV through work and used it for anything other than work related business, then it would be classes as a benefit in kind, and be subject to tax.

Yet they seem perfectly able to claim for all sorts of items which are obviously going to be used as personal items at a second home and they are not classed as benefits, or taxed.

Its a bloody joke.

Mind you it shows just what a shambles of a tax system we have when the man running the show has to pay for an accountant to do his own return. (yet the rules state you arent allowed to claim expenses for accountacy fees in relation to your own affairs)

Yet he expects small businesses owners to do their own (or pay for it out of their own pocket), do their corporation tax returns, and if they dont have the funds in on time they impose fines! Yet these muppets can get expenses wrong for years without any fines or charges what so ever.

Makes my blood boil

/rant

Pah,

If I put in false claims to an employer I would have been sacked and most likely prosecuted for fraud or theft or both.

They do the very same thing and get off scott free by saying "oops sorry it was a mistake, Ill pay it back".

What sort of two faced system are we running here.

If I provided myself with a TV through work and used it for anything other than work related business, then it would be classes as a benefit in kind, and be subject to tax.

Yet they seem perfectly able to claim for all sorts of items which are obviously going to be used as personal items at a second home and they are not classed as benefits, or taxed.

Its a bloody joke.

Mind you it shows just what a shambles of a tax system we have when the man running the show has to pay for an accountant to do his own return. (yet the rules state you arent allowed to claim expenses for accountacy fees in relation to your own affairs)

Yet he expects small businesses owners to do their own (or pay for it out of their own pocket), do their corporation tax returns, and if they dont have the funds in on time they impose fines! Yet these muppets can get expenses wrong for years without any fines or charges what so ever.

Makes my blood boil

/rant

:lol::lol::lol: Im so with you on this, Im having a KFC today, and also getting a massage from a gorgeous lady too, of course its work related... honest :lol: I think I now qualify to be an mp :lol:

Rented a diesel van at the weekend, in fairness it wasn't bad until I filled it up and someone had managed to spill/leak diesel all over the pump handle. Hands stank for hours!

Thats a drawback of running diesel daily. Ive lost count of the times thats happened to me. Then it gets on the steering wheel and stinks the car out.

I think Ill invest in a few loose plastic gloves for the next one - its too late for this car. :lol:

Im not a fan of diesels, but hate :angry::rant: those stupid prius tanks doing 50mph in the middle lane and 25mph round town they should all be destroyed along with the idiots whom bought them :angry:

#

Well thats my rant over with for the day, the girlfriend might get it a bit easier later ;)

Rented a diesel van at the weekend, in fairness it wasn't bad until I filled it up and someone had managed to spill/leak diesel all over the pump handle. Hands stank for hours!

Thats a drawback of running diesel daily. Ive lost count of the times thats happened to me. Then it gets on the steering wheel and stinks the car out.

I think Ill invest in a few loose plastic gloves for the next one - its too late for this car. :lol:

Most people I know that run Diesels as their daily driver have gloves for filling up in their boot. Saves having it all over your hands!

No issues with diesel from this camp. I could see my next car being diesel (might not be a Zed replacement) as they have come on leaps and bounds.

Dad gets annoyed filling his car up (was £130 at fuel price peak) with Derv as it still only manages 25mpg.

Saw a 330d coupe out on track at the weekend. It wasn't slow, noisy or smoky. 30+mpg on the circuit too the owner said!

There was an advert for the XF in the paper at the weekend. I had to read it twice to make sure I wasn't misreading the figures. They are pretty impressive and I maybe able to afford one when I come around to "settling down".......... in 10 years time :) They don't look too bad either, although I have always had a soft spot for Jags.

Was toying with the idea of getting an XK until the Zed popped into my head.

Test drove one on Monday. First diesel I've ever driven and it was a fine car. Really picked up quickly. Pretty taught drive for an exec saloon too. :thumbs:

I have a 2.4 Alfa 159 JDTM as well as the Z. 200 BHP and the same torque as the V8 M3 ! it even sounds good being a 5 cyl. Not great on fuel though (for a Diesel) only usually 32/33 mpg and have seen as low as 20 average !!

i had one of the 2.2 civic type S Gt diesels was a good car, nice to drive, and not slow off the mark, and when it was chipped it was pushing out some serious torque. i only swapped it in for the Zed as i wasn't doing the milage anymore and wanted something even more fun.

diesels are disgusting, throw black smoke out of the back every time they acelerate, but they are 'clean' cars apparently :bang:

Hmmm.. not so anymore i'm afraid.. all pre Euro4 diesels are agricultural relics fit only for the scrapper.... post euro4 are smoke free .. i bought a new manual box BMW 530d in 2004 after test driving a 530 petrol and diesel back to back... The petrol was slightly faster to 60 *(i mean really slightly..) and then got it's pants properly pulled down and received a good seeing to by the diesel after that... I drove it like a stolen hire car for the 12mths i had it and averaged 38mpg... if i ran a long journey i would pull 45mpg.. nice..

Euro4 diesels are smoke free.. and the 530d had a nice throaty deep note with lots of turbo whistle.. i liked it..

You can see diesels have come a longe way when you look at the new jag, the 535d and now the audi r8d.... 5 years from now i expect they will be every bit as quick as their petrol bretheren to 60

Someone mentioned those pathetic placebo piece of cr4p totyota pious b4st4rd things.. those turds were designed so witless tv stars / musicians / right on w4nkers could look enviro aware... when you scratch below the surface then it all unfolds like an mp's expense report... the whole lead mining, airfreight of parts, metal extraction processes, re-cycling nightmares mean they are basically a driven lie.. no better than a mid field euro box blandmobile...

end rant...

oh yeah.. meant to say.. i like diesels... and will have another when they can crack the 5.0 to 60 in a 3.0turbo... so that'll be pretty soon i would think... and either a beemer / jag / merc / audi... probably audi..

I'm really not a fan of diesels.

I dislike;

The smell

The way they deliver power

The sound

Having to start one

I'm just not happy about 1,500-2,000 RPM of power and then literally nothing.

But I recognise that they're good and can be very quick, I just won't have one.

BMW have done a good job disguising the diesel noise. Car manufacturers are getting much better. I work for Vauxhall and the pick of the engines (aside from the VXR 2.0T) is the 1.9 CDTi 150PS. Likewise with the Insignia, the 2.0 CDTi 160PS is the one to go for.

The best engines in the 'normal' (not VXR) cars are the diesels, they just feel so much more pokey. But then again, there is a bit of a premium to get a diesel over a petrol model.

I recently drove a Mondeo with the 2.2 TDCi, stonking engine, much more refined that the Vauxhall units I'm used to.

But luckily, I'm not bothered about the above. My heart sinks a little, I feel cheap and disappointed everytime I get in a car and the redline is at 4,000 RPM.

And Prius' are worse by a mile.

But then again, if we're all pimping about in our 3.5 litre planet killer, at least they're saving it for us. Shame their car is that economical, or does much to save the planet.... Bless! :thumbs: