Bought a new 350 - small problem

Hi guys.

I am a Nissan lover, have had 2 200s and now just bought my first 350z, I am so excited by the car, I have been hankering for one since they hit these shores but and it delivers so much more than I expected.

However!!

I bought a 53 plate in awesome condition, 2 days after purchase I get a problem!!

I have an issue with the engine light, it comes on intermittently with no rhyme or reason. I have driven 1600 miles in the first 3 weeks, I can do a 250 mile journey and no engine light, I can drive to the shop and no engine light, then I come out of the shop and the light is on. It only ever comes on after the engine has been stopped/started shortly after, it never comes on first thing in the morning.

I put the car into an electrical car workshop and they tell me they could not get a correct diagnosis as there is an issue with socket they plug into, pin 16 has no power to it and this maybe the root of the problem. They also tell me it is reporting a relay fault but the guy didnt know enough about the car to say exactly what it was.

I could take it to the dealership but that has the potential of costing a fortune as they will just do thing by the book and possibility of replacing half the engine.

Can anybpdy help me with this annoying problem, I adore the car but the engine light pops on once a day for 10 minutes and its bugging me. Has anybody encountered a similar problem???

:welcome: to the club.

First thing to do is get a copy of the ECU reset procedure from the guides section.

Carry this out to get the codes, this uses the pedals and will displ;y the code in a series of flashes of the CEL light. Then you can look at the codes (also in the guides section) to see what it is.

After you know the codes you'll get some good advice. At the moment it could be anything!

have a look on the search section for OBDII readers i think there is a thread where people who have one and there location. if you ask nicely i'm sure some one will read it for you.

you may find that the OBDII reader they were using maynot be compatible with the 350Z, i'm sure some readers which are suitable for VAG engines can't read jap codes.

i may be wrong.

as said above the engine reset procedure will tell you, just takes a little practice to get right, and a little more knack to single out the different sequences of flashes. the pause between flash groups for each number isn't always as long as you think. also the number code repeats over and over again until you do the last section of the reset.

Thanks so much for the fast response guys.

Firstly I apologise as I am entirely non technical, useless I am afraid!! If its a helicopter I am fine but I know nothing about cars.

The car is an import, 45k on the clock and exceptional condition, it was originally owned by Nissan.

It has had 2 small things done to it, there are some wires under the hood (3 grey wires mounted on the top of the engine), the seller told me there was an engine mod done by a previous owner to improve performance but I am unsure what it concerns, he didnt know either.

He also informed me there was an issue with the battery running short on power, he bought a new battery and had same problem so he took it to an electrician. They placed an immobiliser switch on the car which apparently shuts power to the fuel pump, I have never used it, he informed me that since the switch was fitted he has had no further problems with the battery. These are the only changes from standard that I am aware of. I think this is a red herring, it is an additional safety feature but there are no security problems where I live so I dont use it and I have encountered no battery problems since buying the car 3 weeks ago.

Following Stews post I take it you mean this post ?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=89

where are the codes displayed? I will try this tomorrow and thanks for the help.

I am based in Somerset but am happy to travel anywhere within reason if somebody can recommend a workshop who knows this car inside out and can check the car over.

Thanks so much for your help

Nick

The engine management (CEL) light will flash giving a three numbered code. It sounds bizarre but is easy when you see it!

That's the guide you need. Just don't switch it off until you have the code!

These 3 wires, are they quite thick? My guess is its a grounding kit. Doesnt really do much, just as the name suggest, helps the sometimes poor grounding of the Zed be a bit better.

Like this with a silver cable towards the top of the intake tube.

350zcomplmax2.jpg

As Stew has suggested, get the CEL code and we can see what is up with it :)

Welcome to the forum Nick. Might pay to put the area-ish you are in, so people can recommend someone nearby. ;) Good luck with sorting the little glitch. :)

Hi mate, Yes I did mention in the above post I am based in Somerset.

Thanks Nick

These 3 wires, are they quite thick? My guess is its a grounding kit. Doesnt really do much, just as the name suggest, helps the sometimes poor grounding of the Zed be a bit better.

Like this with a silver cable towards the top of the intake tube.

350zcomplmax2.jpg

As Stew has suggested, get the CEL code and we can see what is up with it :)

That, my friend is exactly what it is. I remembered over night what he said it was..

Thanks for the advise guys, I have printed off the procedeure and am going to try it later today, watch this space!!

Good luck with the reset procedure and remember and post up the fault codes.

If in the future you are using a fault code reader, then please remember that sometimes on the JDM readings will not available.

If you discover that you require o2 simulators (spacers) then I have them available for next day delivery. :thumbs:

Cheers,

Alex.

Hi guys

OK did the procedeure, actually did it 3 times to double check, the first time was a bit confusing.

The result seems strange to me but it was the same each time, the light flashed in three sets of 10 before returning to normal blinking

Make any sense to anybody? I would take it to be 000 but I dont know

You are a gent Sir, unfortunately it is my wifes 30th birthday tomorrow and we have a crowd coming, she would kill me!!! :boxing::)

:thumbs:

BTW get your name down for the Bristol meet next month :D

Did the reset and have had 3 days with no engine management light, then tonight I stop outside a shop, get back in the car and restart 1 minute later and the light is on, it is always these times when the car has only been off for a minute or 2.

Will run the reset again and try to pick up the code

Did the reset and have had 3 days with no engine management light, then tonight I stop outside a shop, get back in the car and restart 1 minute later and the light is on, it is always these times when the car has only been off for a minute or 2.

Will run the reset again and try to pick up the code

Best to get the code. That way you'll at least know what fault it's seeing.

Hi again, did the reset again today. I am unsure if I am after a 3 or 4 digit code but I have got either 1065 or 065.

Again I tried to run it twice to make sure but obviously resetting it gives a 000 code the 2nd time around so I will have to wait until the error repeats.

I could not find the codes in the guides section so maybe somebody could interpret or link me to the post

Thanks and regards Nick