Hot off the lathe!

kta

These are looking very cool B) Not knowing how much lumps of aluminium and steel cost, and how much laser engraving costs, are these gonna be cheaper than Nismo's? Could you do black or dark metal? My Nismo's starting to peel, not very impressed. I'm in the market for a new one soon ;)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still slightly unsure about threadsizes UK to JDM hopefully i can get the chance to check that at the weekend, if anyone coming to the Wales drive has an oem gearknob off a UK model that they have taken off and have lying around and would like to bring it along i'd be glad off the chance to check it. I can't see why they should be different but maybe my car is unique! :teeth:

Mines in the loft somewhere, I will donate it to a good cause if I can find it in the loft in my car bits box :thumbs:

I found my original one if you want it to test it? You could keep it if you want to give me a discount on testing a new one ;) However I think the thread will be the same with all of them :thumbs:

I'm still slightly unsure about threadsizes UK to JDM hopefully i can get the chance to check that at the weekend, if anyone coming to the Wales drive has an oem gearknob off a UK model that they have taken off and have lying around and would like to bring it along i'd be glad off the chance to check it. I can't see why they should be different but maybe my car is unique! :teeth:

Mines in the loft somewhere, I will donate it to a good cause if I can find it in the loft in my car bits box :thumbs:

I found my original one if you want it to test it? You could keep it if you want to give me a discount on testing a new one ;) However I think the thread will be the same with all of them :thumbs:

That would be great if i can just borrow it for a minute on Sunday to test on my car, if it fits then hopefully it should mean that all the threads are the same between UK and JDM models.

These are looking very cool B) Not knowing how much lumps of aluminium and steel cost, and how much laser engraving costs, are these gonna be cheaper than Nismo's? Could you do black or dark metal? My Nismo's starting to peel, not very impressed. I'm in the market for a new one soon ;)

Cheaper than a Nismo yep, but really you're paying for an individual hand-lathed piece rather than a mass produced CNC one that the world and his wife can buy :D

As far as metal colours let me see what i can come up with :teeth:

That would be great if i can just borrow it for a minute on Sunday to test on my car, if it fits then hopefully it should mean that all the threads are the same between UK and JDM models.

Its all packed so I'll drop it at the registration desk for you to try it, just in case I dont get to meet you etc as its very busy on Sunday morning, lots to see and do! If I dont catch up with you just drop it back off at the table when you're done and I'll collect it (not that its worth owt to me! :lol: )

How long does it take to knock up one, from start to finished item?

About a week of evenings to make one so far, this is only the 2nd one i've made though so hopefully i'll get quicker! :)

and thanks very much Chris much appreciated for the loan of your old one.

Just in case you do start making these and selling them, I saw your examples at Wales and can say they are easily better quality than the Nismo, and look just as good. My Nismo's peeling all over and these won't as they're just a chunk of metal. :thumbs:

Just in case you do start making these and selling them, I saw your examples at Wales and can say they are easily better quality than the Nismo, and look just as good. My Nismo's peeling all over and these won't as they're just a chunk of metal. :thumbs:

Agreed - they are proper solid metal, not hallowed metal finished in chrome that falls off :bang:

Will be interested in one when you get the production line going buddy! A abouthalf a cm higher and tinner than the one you had with you would be spot on. I was amazed how close you got to the Nismo one from images alone :clap: Trying to decide if the Alu one was too light. Would it be possible to bore out inside and place to lead near the top? I think that would give it a nice throw. I should have taken my Nismo one off to show you, but it seems to be weighted up towards the top of the knob. Loved the look of the Alu one.

Sorry for not putting it on the registration table as I said I would, I completely forgot. Props for hunting me out :blush:

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, special thanks to Chris for letting me try his uk gearknob on my car and to Paul for ripping panels out to test fit on the green beast! (let me know how the hacksaw work goes! :lol:) I will hopefully be lasering the brushed aluminium finish one tomorrow with gearselector design on the top. I've also started work on an aluminium one to polish up fully.

Once i have those done i'll post pics and start a for sale thread, if anyone wants to order one before then just drop me a PM. :thumbs:

As far as making an aluminium one with a weighted top? Well let me have a think on the best way i could accomplish that and i'll come back to you on it Chris

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, special thanks to Chris for letting me try his uk gearknob on my car and to Paul for ripping panels out to test fit on the green beast! (let me know how the hacksaw work goes! :lol:)

no worries, i will definetly want one , just let me know prices etc :thumbs:

had to put a little back tape round my nismo one to stop the carbon piece rattling. :angry:

had to put a little back tape round my nismo one to stop the carbon piece rattling. :angry:

Ah so they do rattle, I thought I was being paranoid that mine had started. Feckin great :bang:

Better you get them made mate the better for us Nismo owners left with substandard ones! :lol:

Would it be possible to bore out inside and place to lead near the top? I think that would give it a nice throw. I should have taken my Nismo one off to show you, but it seems to be weighted up towards the top of the knob:

+ 1

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, special thanks to Chris for letting me try his uk gearknob on my car and to Paul for ripping panels out to test fit on the green beast! (let me know how the hacksaw work goes! :lol:) I will hopefully be lasering the brushed aluminium finish one tomorrow with gearselector design on the top. I've also started work on an aluminium one to polish up fully.

Once i have those done i'll post pics and start a for sale thread, if anyone wants to order one before then just drop me a PM. :thumbs:

As far as making an aluminium one with a weighted top? Well let me have a think on the best way i could accomplish that and i'll come back to you on it Chris

Spec' as per my previous PM William

Might want a slight change to the laser design but I'll drop you another PM shortly :thumbs:

Hi Will,

Got the tax disc and Keyring yesterday!! Looks ACE!

Cheers

Jerry :thumbs:

Great stuff, glad you like it mate. :teeth:

B) hope to see a shiny aluminium one soon

On the lathe currently, hopefully final polish tonight B)

Well after making a small error and buying a slightly too hard grade of stainless steel for using on a lathe :wacko: and after wearing out a fair number of tools and breaking two tap and die sets (apologies to my dad! :blush: ) the stainless steel gearknob was finally finished! A short blast under the Laser and here it is..

ss350.jpg

That stainless one looks great and should be nice and heavy too. B) This might sound like a strange question but there does the 350z logo end up when the gearknob is fully screwed on? Does it differ from car to car?