Hot off the lathe!

kta

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after making a small error and buying a slightly too hard grade of stainless steel for using on a lathe :wacko: and after wearing out a fair number of tools and breaking two tap and die sets (apologies to my dad! :blush: ) the stainless steel gearknob was finally finished! A short blast under the Laser and here it is..

ss350.jpg

That stainless one looks great and should be nice and heavy too. B) This might sound like a strange question but there does the 350z logo end up when the gearknob is fully screwed on? Does it differ from car to car?

Well i'm working on the theory :teeth: that the oem gearknobs probably aren't made for a specific car so i think the thread starts at the same place on each gearshaft. So after i make one i screw it tight onto my car, mark the centerline and then engrave there so the 350Z (and gear selector on top) aligns with the middle of the car.

Well i'm working on the theory :teeth: that the oem gearknobs probably aren't made for a specific car so i think the thread starts at the same place on each gearshaft. So after i make one i screw it tight onto my car, mark the centerline and then engrave there so the 350Z (and gear selector on top) aligns with the middle of the car.

Crafty! :lol: Shall be PMing you once I've managed to decide between brushed and shiny. Shiny looks nicer but brushed goes better with the interior bits I think. :headhurt: Are you're still making them in steel for those that want it? The heavier the gearknob the better the shift in my experience. The stock one is WAY too light.

Crafty! :lol: Shall be PMing you once I've managed to decide between brushed and shiny. Shiny looks nicer but brushed goes better with the interior bits I think. :headhurt: Are you're still making them in steel for those that want it? The heavier the gearknob the better the shift in my experience. The stock one is WAY too light.

Yep Stainless steel one is nice and weighty, I've got my Traders details set up so I'm taking orders now http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23151

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That stainless one looks great and should be nice and heavy too. B) This might sound like a strange question but there does the 350z logo end up when the gearknob is fully screwed on? Does it differ from car to car?

If the logo doesn't end up where you want it, you can thread a thin 10mm nut onto the shaft first before you screw the knob on then adjust the nut so the knob locks against it with the logo exactly where you want it. I recently fitted a new knob and put a locking nut under the gaiter so it can't be seen once you screw the new knob and adjusted it so the shift pattern was in the correct orientation, see pic for detail

Looking very B) ^^^

kta, can you knock up wheel centre caps ?, could have a huge market there ?

Yeah i've been asked a few times for these, i'll look into it in more detail to see whether its possible.

Looking very B) ^^^

Yeah i've been asked a few times for these, i'll look into it in more detail to see whether its possible.

Cheers bud, would be great if you could get a price ?

Looking very B) ^^^

Cheers bud, would be great if you could get a price ?

are you thinking a thin disc that would stick over the existing cap or the actual whole cap including a mechanism to hold it in place?