BEST way to keep LMGT4 wheels in top condition?

ms8qt

Guys,

I've just got hold of a set of LMGT4 wheels and realise that these are somewhat different to normal alloys in that the edge is polished metal (not painted). I want to keep these wheels (and tyres) looking in tip-top condition without using abrasive wheel cleaners, etc so what do you recommend?

Is there anything I can buy that I can put/spray on them to make dirt and brake dust come off much easier?

What would you use to clean them? Bucket of warm water with fairy liquid? What about more stubborn brake dust marks?

Once clean, is there anything I can/should use to give them that extra shine?

And lastly, what would you say is best to use for tyre shine? The spray tyre shines I've used from Halfrauds in the past completely lose their effect after a day or two and it gets expensive if you want to keep those tyres looking shiny black! Is there another and better alternative? (that isn't going to keep eating into my money). I went to a car wash place ages ago where they dipped a brush in a bucket and swept it over the tyres...was probably something stupid like vegetable oil! LOL

MANY thanks,

Mark.

Had mine 12 months and still as good as the day i had them.

1. Never use them in the winter.

2. Wash them with a hand mitt (just for wheels) using car shampoo water and rinse.

3. I dry them with a microfibre and then use Autoglym wheel sealant.

Thats all i ever do and they are still perfect. :)

Guys,

Mark you need to get to a local meet so I can see your zed! I have a kuro black GT4 with popcharger, LMGT4's etc and pretty much identical spec....without the nismo spoiler

B)

On topic - I will get my LMGT4 wheels refurbed next year, so I should be fine using them through winter if they are going to be refurbed :)

Stay away from the washing up liquid, use a well diluted wheel cleaner like Bilberry. Once clean, use a good sealant on the wheels, this will make cleaning much easier in the future. I am meaning to get some proper wheel sealant, but in the interim I use AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection. I only have Rays, but the maintenance principle is the same :thumbs:

I can't believe 2 people have advised not to use my new LMGT4 wheels in the winter...surely if I clean them reguarly during the winter they'll be ok? It seems crazy and expensive to have 2 sets of 19" wheels and tyres, not to mention where the hell I'd store them.

OK, so diluted Bilberry to clean, then Autoglym Wheel Sealant to protect them, then Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre Shine Gel :) Does that sound about right? Is there anything I can use to "polish" them to ensure they continue to shine/sparkle like new? LOL

Thanks, Mark.

Trust me mate,you would be better using them as summer wheels only.I have a set on mine,they are just over 12 months old and one of the front wheels is marked were water has got under the laquer.

What have you done with your original wheels?

As people have said put a good sealant on them before fitting them.Buy yoursef a good wheel brush,I have the EZ Detail brush it will clean to the back of the rim.As for tyre dressing Blackfire is good but not cheap,it lasts ages.Also you need a good no acidic wheel cleaner like Billberry.

Do all that and you should be fine,having said that I have and still have a marked alloy. :wacko:

In answer to 'clarkie34', I only just bought my LMGT4 wheels off another member and I did it on the basis that I would sell my current 18" wheels that came as standard on my GT4 (to drastically minimise the upgrade cost). I really can't afford to keep the originals and maintain 2 sets of wheels/tyres and certainly don't have any room to store a set (I have a small house with no garage!).

Thanks for all your opinions and advice. I've just consolidated all the info and have the following list:

To Buy

1) Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (5L) : £25.50 (eBay inc. delivery)

2) Poorboys Wheel Sealant : £15.10 (eBay inc. delivery)

3) Meguiars NXT All Metal Polish

4) Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre Shine Gel : £7.68 (eBay inc. delivery)

AND Meguiars Applicator Pad : £5.39 (eBay inc. delivery)

5) EZ Detail brush : £20.57 (www.nedetailing.co.uk inc. delivery)

My god, all this cleaning stuff is adding up to a fair bit but I guess you get what you pay for! What order should I use the above items and how often? I assume I first clean the wheels, then use the metal polish (occasionally?), then the wheel sealant, and then the tyre shine.

What would you use to apply the metal polish?...a J-cloth? Lastly, what would you recommend to dry the wheels nicely after washing them? An old tea-towel or is there something else that will do a much better/easier job and last a while?

Thanks guys,

Mark.

I use a polish applicator (green pad) for the polish.

5L of bilberry will last YEARS! as it'll make 50L as generally 10:1 is fine for it.

I would find a detailing store which has everything to save on costs.

Poorboys waffle weave is what I use for drying mine.

Well I'm the sort of person that always likes to look after things as best I can. I'll most definitely be using these wheels all year round and if that means I have to get them reconditioned at some point then that's what I'll do.

I've finally placed an order with cleanyourcar.co.uk as they seemed to stock most things, had good prices, and their delivery charge wasn't bad either.

Everyone...thanks for your help!

Will do! One question though...once layers of sealant are applied, would it then be appropriate to use the Meguiars NXT All Metal Polish OR would I be better cleaning and polishing the wheels and then applying the sealant?

Oh, and if I get one or two more stubborn marks then what do you suggest I use to remove them?...I read on another thread that using tar remover will work but, to me, that sounds a bit harsh and a bad idea.

Sorry for all the (stupid) questions but I want to make sure I do it right!

Well use the polish on the polished bit only (not the painted parts) and only use it when the polished rim is looking dull. It actually contains a metal protectant but it's worth putting a couple of layers of sealant on after.

I use mine in winter. One has a few odd marks on it but I didn't spend all that money not to use them all year round!! ;)

+1 i just dont see the point in swapping your wheels over for summer/winter. I'd rather have my car looking its best all year round

I use mine in winter. One has a few odd marks on it but I didn't spend all that money not to use them all year round!! ;)

+1 i just dont see the point in swapping your wheels over for summer/winter. I'd rather have my car looking its best all year round

You don't live by the sea in the north of Scotland.... Imagine the crap on the road here!

My LMGT-4s are used all year round.

Zed is a daily driver.

Gone through 2 winters so far and not a blemish.

2 other zed owners assured me it would be OK if I followed their regime so I took gamble and left them on.

However I wash them very gently weekly, gently agitating brake dust off using a microfibre in one hand and holding a hose in the other providing a constant flow of clean water. Then finish with normal car shampoo for a final once over again using a microfibrebefore rinsing and drying with a leafblower.

I apply Chemical Guys wheel sealant every 2-3 weeks so normally they are 99% clean after the prewash but shampoo just to be sure ;)

If I'm really short on time and can't do a full seal I just use TurtleWax Glossgaurd on the lips and face. Goes on real quick with a MF applicator (just like an alcohol wipe) and can be buffed off almost immediately. Sometimes I'll leave the bodywork dirty and just do the wheels as a priority.

Some people on detailing forums think it excessive to seal so often but this is what others told me works for them and seems to be working for me.

Basically I reckon you have to wash the rims more gently than the body coz of the abrasive nature of brake dust.

You don't live by the sea in the north of Scotland.... Imagine the crap on the road here!

fair point but then i would just make sure i didnt buy polished wheels