Warranty Issue, looking for some advice

scotsboy

Hi All,

just want to see if anyone can give me some advice on a warranty claim that was rejected by Nissan.

I have a 57 plate Z that i bought mid november from a Nissan dealership, the car was their demo and had 2500 miles on the clock, it now has 4500. in mid march i noticed a strip of rust above the passenger side front wheel arch ( i had been abroad for a month and just got back). there is no actual damage to the bodywork, co chips dents etc. But Nissan has declined the repair saying it is external damage and has escalated due to me not dealing with it at the time. Not only that but they will not tell me what "external damage" they reckon has caused it. I have added a couple of pics and would appreciate any advice.

cheers in advance

its an Oct 07 registration. That was me contacting Nissan UK too. The dealer just took some pics of his own and sent them to Nissan UK saying it was a warranty issue that would be dealt with by Nissan Uk. Took them a month to get back to me as well.

Hi mate sorry to crash the thread but we are having a glasgow meet on the 31st of May, why dont you get your name down and cheer yourself up a bit, by blasting the zed around some lovely twisty country roads along with the rest of us :thumbs:

Just look on the regional meet map and click Scotland :)

to add insult to injury I just asked my dealer to send me a copy of the pics he sent to Nissan UK. bloody hell i though mine were not too great... how Nissan can make a judgement on these pics beggars belief. the guy that took these 2 blurry pics is no lord Lichfield thats for sure......

Ring head office, send them the pictures and explain that paintwork should not be falling off a 1.5 year old car you got from a Nissan dealer. Lets face it - you put around £18k+ in their pocket and if the big multinational cannot spend a couple of hundred to get it fixed then this is nothing but an appauling service and customer neglect.

I think most cars have 5 years body work warranty don't they (i.e. garuantee of no rust)? Read your small print in the manuals and you may have a clause which would work in your favour. Personally, I'd be knocking at head office doors asking to speak to management. Whether it is a Skoda or a Ferrari, a car at that age shouldn't have those type of issues. Fact. :boxing:

i plan to do that now after seeing the photos that they took. i do have bodywork warranty, but they are fly as if it's external damage then you are not covered. i think Nissan customer service so far is shocking, they just want to fob me off, as they don't even let you speak with anyone technical or the person who took the decision.

Sorry mate, where is the damage? I know you said passanger wheel arch but where exactly? bumper side or door side? If you got a pic from further away it may help....

Also... Just from the pics, too me it dosnt look like rust, it looks like someone has scraped it pretty hard... Was the car in a garage?

Have you just spoken to the dealer or have you spoken to NMGB CS direct? I belive you can request for someone from NMGB to visit you to check the car, just dont leave the car at Nissan as they will charge you storage.... I think some on here will remember the "pully problem" from a few years back.... Just having a search for their number so you can call them direct just for clarification...

Also.... Has your car got any modifications? This will / could invalidate your wtee... no matter what they are...

Also to clarrify this vehicle was supplied to you by a dealer. If that is the case, your contract is with them and not NMGB or any other party. The exception might be if the car is financed, in which case it *might* be that your agreement is with the finance company - you'd need to check but, if so, they may well have an interest in this case.

its at the side near door. i keep it garaged and i am the only driver so i know it was damaged in the garage and i dont think its been done by someone scraping it as its only about 4 " from the bottom plus there is not one single mark on the metal where the paint has came off. bought it from Nissan dealer, no mods done to it and its not financed, but they took the last 2 pics and sent to NIssan Gb as they said it was a warranty issue. It is Nissan GB i am trying to deal with and are being a bunch of c*nts... and as the pics the dealership took are terrible i am going to try and send some of my own that show close up that there is no "external damage" as they put it. it actually looks lik the paint has just started flaking off

That looks to me like the kind of thing that happens when its had a respray without the surface being propoerly prepared. are you sure it has not been repaired in the past?

That's exactly my thought. I had a similar thing with a Type R i got from a garage (non dealer tho) when the weather warmed up the paint started bubbling on the roof. Took it to honda who said it had been sprayed (they used paint depth gauge on it to ascertain this). I eventually tracked down the previous owner and wrote to him. He phoned me to say that his car roof had been 'walked on' and that the mercedes dealer he traded it in at re-sprayed the roof in their bodyshop. Anyway, my recourse was with the garage i got it from and not honda. This looks similar to me.

its an ex demo car from the nissan dealers. they told me it was accident free and it only had 2500 mile on the clock when i bought it. guy i work with who is a car geek said much the same thing as you but he said that this can also happen in the factory and has seen it before. he thinks the reason it never came through before was that the car was kept in the showroom all the time except test drives etc. so temp is pretty warm in there. but then when i bought it it is out in the cold weather, frost etc and that what may have brought it on.

Nissan GB are a complete waste of time. they refuse to look at my close up pics, they refuse to let me talk with anyone technical who made the decision and they refuse to send someone out to look at it. when i explained i had better pics than the ones the dealer sent i was told that there guys are experts and could tell from the 2 pics they received from the dealer that it was external damage!!! :angry:

its an ex demo car from the nissan dealers. they told me it was accident free and it only had 2500 mile on the clock when i bought it. guy i work with who is a car geek said much the same thing as you but he said that this can also happen in the factory and has seen it before. he thinks the reason it never came through before was that the car was kept in the showroom all the time except test drives etc. so temp is pretty warm in there. but then when i bought it it is out in the cold weather, frost etc and that what may have brought it on.

Too me, as the pics aren't mega close up. That almost looks a rusty colour under where the damage is. No signs of any bog under there?? And yes as your friend says it's very common for cars to be damaged on route to a dealer, or whilst they're sitting at the lot.

Nissan GB are a complete waste of time. they refuse to look at my close up pics, they refuse to let me talk with anyone technical who made the decision and they refuse to send someone out to look at it. when i explained i had better pics than the ones the dealer sent i was told that there guys are experts and could tell from the 2 pics they received from the dealer that it was external damage!!! :angry:

Have you had the damage priced out by anyone yet? Is it worth having a chat to a lawyer. A lot of us have copped the attitude at different times, and I went through the wringer with my Z, but you'll get there. Just teething pains mate, keep on the case. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

incase anyone is interested in how Nissan customer service works. since sending them new pictures their latest reply is that they are saying the problem was caused by an external influence, not external damage...work that one out if you can!

when i asked them to explain, they declined... so basically they say that its all my fault and not there's, even though there is no external damage :angry:

so now i have had to get an independant survey done on it and then take it up with the SMMT.

i sincerely hoep no one has to take up an issue with Nissan UK as it is a complete and utter waste of time. they continually fob you off, dont let you speak with anyone that actually knows what they are talking about, all you get is a call centre and do not give you a detailed explanation as to why they reject your warranty claim. To be honest this has put me off ever buying a Nissan again, regardless of how much i like the 350Z.

to **** me off even more she had the cheek to thank me for my phone call :rant::rant:

anyway apologies for the rant.

When I had a long protracted involvement with customer services I insisted all correspondance was by e-mail so I had a paper trail. Have they sent you anything in writing, if not then ask for it. Its totally reasonable to expect them to explain their refusal in detail.

incase anyone is interested in how Nissan customer service works. since sending them new pictures their latest reply is that they are saying the problem was caused by an external influence, not external damage...work that one out if you can!

I'm assuming they see it as heat-related paint damage, i.e. you took a paint stripper gun, melted the paint off and let the body underneath rust. Which obviously any self-respecting owner does to their new car...! :wacko:

Ring head office, send them the pictures and explain that paintwork should not be falling off a 1.5 year old car you got from a Nissan dealer. Lets face it - you put around £18k+ in their pocket and if the big multinational cannot spend a couple of hundred to get it fixed then this is nothing but an appauling service and customer neglect.

I think most cars have 5 years body work warranty don't they (i.e. garuantee of no rust)? Read your small print in the manuals and you may have a clause which would work in your favour. Personally, I'd be knocking at head office doors asking to speak to management. Whether it is a Skoda or a Ferrari, a car at that age shouldn't have those type of issues. Fact. :boxing:

Second this. Totally agree. You shouldn't have any bodywork issues. Take it to another dealer, and another dealer and ring customer services until you get a result.

I did ask for a letter from Nissan which i now have. The letter states the reason as being:

"the images clearly show that the concern is from external damage, whereby the vehicle has been left unattended. i would like to advise you that the paint peeling is not consistent with the manufacturer's paint finish"

bear in mind there was no damage to the car when i bought it and when i did notice the paint peeling i had owned the car less than 4 months and it is kept in a garage, infact it had been in the garage for nearly a month as i was away on a business trip!

with regards to taking it to a different dealer, they want nothing to do with it as they say its a warranty claim and all they are required to do is take pictures and send to Nissan UK for analysis (if that's what you want to call it at least)

Basically Nissan Uk could not care less, when i did call them back the other day the person dealing with my claim actually said she was surprised to be hearing back from me because as far as Nissan was concerned it was a closed case.

i am now having to take it to an independant company to analyse and then take it up with The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT)

Sounds to me like it is the dealer that has had it re-sprayed. I'd ask for confirmation in writing from the Stealer that they have not had it resprayed.... Seems a bit fishy to me my good man... :thumbdown: Especially with nissan claiming the paint finish isn't consistent with their paint finishes.... :wacko:

If you can find someone with a Paint Depth Gauge you can probably work out if its been repainted .

I would carry on pursuing it. Let Nissan know of your intents and ask them to still clarify what "external damage" and you agree that its not "consistent with the manufacturer's paint finish" that its a defect with the paint or pre-work thus the end result you see before you.