Release Bearing Issue

MAYHEW820

Since the wife brought her Zed a few weeks back I have noticed a Release bearing/Gearbox noise when running in neutral with the clutch up.

In my heart of hearts I feel that there is no problem but it's a more elevated noise than I've been used to with all of our previous FWD transaxle cars. Clutch operating is totally fine and the noise doesn't really change with different temperatures either

I have no reference other than to see how much noise is emitted from you guys and girls Zeds when idling in neutral. Just searching piece of mind really or whether to get it looked at as it's under warranty. Unfortunately I am one of these people who wants his&her car to spend as little time as possible in a dealer.

Hope you can help

Thanks guys,

When the clutch is down there is no noise at all! When it's up there is just a faint wine from her gearbox. I felt in the first place it's down to the Z having a strengthy gearbox and bearing noise being a bit more noticeable. On the road and under load, perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for a newbie dragging up an old topic :p

But thanks to all for this as i have the same bloody annoying problem, lift the clutch in neutral an idle and yup you guessed it grrrrrarrrrrgarrrrrr lol.

but sometimes when the the above situation si in place you can hear a knock, or clunk and feel it throught the clutch pedal.

Again is this normal, or should i worry??? :blush:

Gilly

The zed has a very chunky gear box, most when cold, seems prety normal :thumbs:

:yahoo: i love this place. even more reasuring than my work (nissan main dealer :teeth: )

thanks buddy, dunno about cold deffo warm. just random knocks when sitting

Gilly x

I would argue it could be 1 of two things..

yes the release bearing could have gone

but also (and it occured in mine) The 350z operates a dual mass flywheel option (simple way to explain it is it has one fly inside another that give a bit of flexibility when engaging gears. Its not that common in road cars more found in trucks and tractors etc, but does mean the engage is quietened down.

If the inner flywheel has lost its spring or resistance, it will just bounce against the metal stops making a horrible noise.

When mine went the clutch bite was perfect just made a load of noise when engaging the clutch and when not engaged. One it has fully bitten the flywheel is just runing on the stops so doesnt move, therefore no noise.

Unfortunately the only way to find out is a box off job.

• 2 weeks later...
Funny that, my 08 1900 mile twilight grey roadster is also the same. I'll stop worrying and just enjoy. Anybody got one that dosnt do it?

They all do! and just in case you all worry about yours you have to listen to mine!!!! :p

Fletch from ESR said its the loudest he has ever heard...and he must have heard a good few.... ;):lol:

Just bought myself a 350z on Monday evening and went for my first decent distance (150 miles) drive last night. Got back home and parked on the drive and noticed the in neutral clutch released noise, made me quite concerned. Read this thread and feel much better, even about the odd random knock, as Gilly said.

I will assume it's normal unless there's any change.

Having been on this forum for some 3 years I would say more ZEDs seem to have this 'issue' than don't and rarely ever has it been reported that it led to actual clutch/release bearing/flywheel/gearbox problems. I had it my 04 ZED and sometimes hear it in my current 56 ZED - a trait that seems nothing to worry about. :thumbs:

There is no doubt that the gearchange is not 'sweet' until the box has warmed up and I always give the throttle a little blip when going up or down the gears when cold, particuarly into and out of 2nd gear, to help the engine speed match the transmission speed and hopefully prolong the life of the syncros ;)

I had a new clutch fitted 3 weeks ago on my (2007) roadster 10k miles into its life!.., see 'clutch gone at 9800 miles' .

It now has a very noisy release bearing after just 300miles and it is not as smooth from 1st to 2nd as one would like! I will be taking it back to the dealer to get it checked over but I don't expect too much sympathy. I was lucky to get a full clutch under warranty in the first place.. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have the same problem, quick question though, I still get the sound - if not more once the engine is warmed up, whilst sitting in idle and in neutral... also when slowly pulling off, I get a grinding noise??

My alternative was to go find a good garage in Surrey but have yet to find once that truly knows the 350z's... Some have spoken about TGM, but Tom's very much a Honda DC5 kinda guy..

I spoke to the workshop controller at my work and he said there was an active recall on the release bearings. It was just brought up in a convo after he seen the car. Bit i have yet to give him my VIN number to check. Yes i know it will probably happen all over again but i assume some people have had this fixed and for good. so its worth a try. Scott, the nissan master tech says the same about a black one we have had in countless times for this. The driver doesn't get the hint.

Should be finding out this week, il let you know how it goes.

Gilly

I spoke to the workshop controller at my work and he said there was an active recall on the release bearings. It was just brought up in a convo after he seen the car. Bit i have yet to give him my VIN number to check. Yes i know it will probably happen all over again but i assume some people have had this fixed and for good. so its worth a try. Scott, the nissan master tech says the same about a black one we have had in countless times for this. The driver doesn't get the hint.

Gilly

Cheers Gilly, defo keep us informed of the latest!

Common problem folks dont worry about it. when they took the gearbox out last year for some recall work its been a lot quieter since - so probably not lining up properly and giggling / growling - sounds like cement swilling round a mixer with a few stones in it. Dont worry be happy and enjoy the Zed especially you softtop owners :sun:B)

• 2 weeks later...

Just serviced Sal's the other week and the noise comes from the very back of the gearbox under the gearstick mounts, so totally wipes out the release bearing idea. No noises under load. Plus changed the gearbox oil to check condition of it and it came out like new. Was well happy and is obviously a clear Zed Trait

Gilly

Any news??

Just serviced Sal's the other week and the noise comes from the very back of the gearbox under the gearstick mounts, so totally wipes out the release bearing idea. No noises under load. Plus changed the gearbox oil to check condition of it and it came out like new. Was well happy and is obviously a clear Zed Trait

may be worth speaking to ZMANALEX. He knows plenty about the gearbox