Got bored; made this: CF covering rear strut brace

rtbiscuit

Got bored this afternoon so i thought i'd have a go at knocking up something in my spare time. my current silver rear strut brace cover got damamged a while back when my wife got me to cram in to giant flower pots and they scratched the paint. and i have been meaning for ages to fix or hide it

P1000611.jpg

so i had a thought, i had recently ordered in some Carbon fibre vinyl for another job, and thought i'd have a go at covering the rear strut cover with it. the advantage is it doesn't need to be perfect around the edges as they are hidden down behind plastic trim. the job is by no means perfect and i need to refine my application method and use spray water to help get air bubbles out better, but this is how it came out

P1000612-1.jpg

i used a hair dryer to heat up the vinyl and form it into the dimples, i also removed the Zed badge first and re applied it after so it has a seamles finish.

here it is put back in the car

P1000613.jpg

and through the window

P1000614.jpg

don't know what people think but for now it givesd a better finish than what was there, and the big advantage is that the whole thing is completely reversible, so if you get board it can be easily removed and returned to stock.

i had recently ordered in some Carbon fibre vinyl for another job, and..

don't know what people think but for now it givesd a better finish than what was there, and the big advantage is that the whole thing is completely reversible, so if you get board it can be easily removed and returned to stock.

looks A+ - who does the vinyl? :thumbs:

Looks good. Does it reduce the shine in the rear view mirror. I've been thinking of doing something similar. Fed up of looking in the mirror and seeing the silver zed cover staring back at me. lol

not sure i haven't sat in the drivers seat since fitting but it should reduce it as it is darker. you will probably still see the Zed but not all the siver as well

i had recently ordered in some Carbon fibre vinyl for another job, and..

looks A+ - who does the vinyl? :thumbs:

i buy it in bulk from my supplier, minimum order is 1 metre in length and its 610mm wide.

Wow, does look nice Rich.

Meanwhile while you were doing that, Ray and myself went for a blast down the B-roads to Clacton.

Had an icecream each (with Flake) and then headed back (via the B roads).

lol sounds like you had fun, thanks again for poping round and helping fix the horn problem, and showing me your K1.

if you want yours doing as well let me know.

Nice job!!

How much does that METAL piece cost from Nissan :scare:

Jerry :)

which metal piece are you refering to the whole lot is plastic

The silver rear strut cover..!!

absolutly nothing, it was already attatched to the car, just removed it, took the Zed badge off, covered it and re-assembled it all. only thing i paid for was the vinyl.

thanks guys really appreciate the comments.

if people want some vinyl to do it them selves i can post them some... for a fee of course ;)

How thick is it bud? I want to do the silver trim pieces on my steering wheel as one's a bit worn... You think that'd be a realistic application?

I know IanS16 has stick on carbon on those parts and they look good :thumbs:

thanks guys really appreciate the comments.

if people want some vinyl to do it them selves i can post them some... for a fee of course ;)

How thick is it bud? I want to do the silver trim pieces on my steering wheel as one's a bit worn... You think that'd be a realistic application?

I know IanS16 has stick on carbon on those parts and they look good :thumbs:

If you can take them off the steering wheel to work on then they should me dead easy to do. That's going to be my next job as mine look a little tired as well.

Vinyl is thin same as normal vinyl; probably no thicker than tin foil.