Chesterfield

Guest prescience
or badly written php mods for a forum that screwed it all up :headhurt:

i refer the right honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago :p

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it was lack of trialling one particular addition that screwed it up.

Now tha we have this working fine here though, we are taking the time to get the look and feel of the new software to look (and work) right.

It will be in very much the same style as this, but slightly updated and with a few more functions for users to make things a little more user friendly.

Guest prescience
yeah it was lack of trialling one particular addition that screwed it up.

Now tha we have this working fine here though, we are taking the time to get the look and feel of the new software to look (and work) right.

It will be in very much the same style as this, but slightly updated and with a few more functions for users to make things a little more user friendly.

i was yanking your chain as you well know - i appreciate how much grief you will have had to go through to effect the transition - pies from the sidelines is always fun though :p

Its an annoyance introduced by an export using one character set and the import into the new databse using another character set. :blush:

Cant we run a query against the database to flush them out? Drives me mad. Just edited Robs ISTS post as it was driving me nuts :blush:

Anyone here getting random  signs??

(not sure if you can see that - its an A with an accent)

Didn't get them before, usually happens before the £ sign in posts.

Running firefox 3.0.6 Windows XP SP2.

Its because the export of the old DB was in one character set and the import in another. Confused it a little bit. See the posts above :thumbs:

the recent drop outs is more to do with members internet access via work and multiple sessions the IT dept has set up to make it look like it runs quicker. Basically it downlads all th pages of the forum and chokes the bandwidth in the process. This will be sorted in the new version and prevent this from happening.

I couldn't be techie as geekness is beyond me :teeth:

Downloading the whole site is an activity normally done by an ISP, not a work website, who generally do not want to 'webcrawl'.

e.g. if VirginMedia (NTL) has 50 customers who regularly come here, their management systems are clever enough to try and predict that this will happen again, thus they 'cache' your site, to speed up the delivery to their residential customers.

:thumbs:

I'd be very interested in how you'll stop this.

As the server wont be able to log in as a user, it will have to follow all the links on the site as "guest". As the server will also only have one IP, restricting the number of active connections for "guest" per IP is the way it can be done.

have used the word censor to hopefully edit out the  before the £ sign :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks - just a few more bits that the team are sorting and everyone gets to see it for real...

Any idea on the go-live date?

Looks great btw B)

Not long bud. Most of the major problems have been worked out. I think theres only one show stopper outstanding, and a few little tweaks needed they we're good to go :thumbs: (so next week perhaps, so long as the solutions can be found)