What car to buy next????

neil2185

As some will know from my previous posts, I am having to sell my Zed, but what to buy next..........?

I want to get something that is a bit better on the MPG's but I cant bring myself to sell out and go head first into the low engine and slow speed hatch backs (corsa festa etc) I also want something I can play around with and mod a bit with out it looking chavy! (eg putting 19" chrome wheels on a saxo) and still goes quite quick when I want it to but will save fuel when I am on the drive to work! I used to have a Mk V Gti which would go quite well when I wanted fun and then I could get 40+mpg on the drive to work but I dont want another golf but you see where I am coming from

So any top tips, budget of around 15k and ideally something newer rather than older! .......

V impressed that you got >40mpg out of the GTI. I would be tempted to go back to one, maybe the anniversary edition with more power?

Pretty much any of the hot hatch bunch fit into the budget, Megane, Astra etc etc. Audi A3 may float your boat, although likely to be older.

Diesel 1 or 3 series coupe could be an alternative.

In the current market, £15k buys a lot so you may need to be more specific!

Agreed on the R26 ;)

Or for something a bit more economical and sticking with the Megane theme, maybe a 'normal' Renaultsport model. If you fancy moving to the 'Dark Side' Evo magazine rates the Diesel Renaultsport Megane they've had on their Fast fleet.

Otherwise, a nearly new Golf GTi is a good option, the Scirocco is still a bit out of your price range unless you wait for 6 months.

For something a bit different I'd be very tempted by the Volvo C30 T5 with the 5 cylinder engine from the Focus RS.....

if your not bothered about size the alfa mito looks smart, rivals the mini and if you wait a short while they are bring out a GTA version which should be interesting.

i previously had a new shape civic 2.2. diesel type S gt. which was pretty good. had good touque and punch yet i could get 50 mpg

Agreed on the R26 ;)

Or for something a bit more economical and sticking with the Megane theme, maybe a 'normal' Renaultsport model. If you fancy moving to the 'Dark Side' Evo magazine rates the Diesel Renaultsport Megane they've had on their Fast fleet.

Otherwise, a nearly new Golf GTi is a good option, the Scirocco is still a bit out of your price range unless you wait for 6 months.

For something a bit different I'd be very tempted by the Volvo C30 T5 with the 5 cylinder engine from the Focus RS.....

I have had an 07 Gti before with the DSG, was ok but wouldnt want another one - has anyone owned/driver a focus ST before? the ST-3 spec looks pretty smart loads of kit and the face lift 08's seem like a pretty smart car!

I don't know really. Just didn't find it THAT comfortable, It was quick but was FWD (and I'm not a fan) and wasn't good off the turbo.

Loved the orange paint though!

I just didn't get on with it.

Went out with a work mate that had one and it was decent, seemed to go much better and be more comfortable as a passenger.

That is all my own opinion and I'm no road tester. You know what they say though, ones mans trash is another mans treasure!

Neil - I'm kind of in the same boat as you, planning on selling my Zed but for 5 doors due to baby but want a sporty car which has some punch. My budget is a bit lower than yours tho.

My shortlist at the moment is

1 - Focus ST3. They have good equipment and go ok (not as much as my old RS felt) and sound nice. Don't like the sound of the poor MPG though

2 - Civic 2.2 diesel. A friend has one, I personally like the interior, has loads of toys and the car feels pretty fast

3 - Golf 1.4 TSI - actually suprised to see this has 170bhp and 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. Has got to be reasonable on the mpg and tax. A lad at work has the 140bhp one and that goes ok.

cheers ;)

Ads

I still think the Megane Sports are a great compromise, ageed the looks are a bit strange but fantastic cars and none of that diesel rubbish! :teeth:

+1 If I was buying a hot hatch my money would be going on the megane B)

£15K gets you a mint S1 Elise/good VX220/average S2 Elise @£10K and a solid 2004 Mondeo diesel. You'll still spend less in fuel, tax and servicing, and you've still got a very fun car you can play with as well as something to transport things around in.

That's a far more fun option than compromising with a FWD scrabble wagon IMHO.

Personally wouldn't touch a high performance renault, the lower end models fall apart so would shudder to think how powerful ones fair. Also wouldn't fancy paying ridiculous labour costs to replace the lights when they go. Only my biased opinion tho :)