What car to buy next????

neil2185

£15K gets you a mint S1 Elise/good VX220/average S2 Elise @£10K and a solid 2004 Mondeo diesel. You'll still spend less in fuel, tax and servicing, and you've still got a very fun car you can play with as well as something to transport things around in.

That's a far more fun option than compromising with a FWD scrabble wagon IMHO.

I disagree, i bet when you add up the costs of having two cars it will be higher, its things like insurance you have to factor in. If you saw the recent fifth gear you'll see how impressive the megane is!!!

Megane is fab.. renault build quality is dubious.. need tolose all the "boyakasha" stickers splatteredall over em.. but sweet motor.. you gotta drive it like a proper feline to get 40+ mpgs though :)

My mates got a 55 plate golf shopping-gti and it's ok,.. bit sluggish but well built.

An acquiantance has one of them mock sport 2.0i audi a3's.... my advice..get the golf.. same car only much cheaper

my money would go SEAT Leon 1968 cc 2.0 TDi DPF FR (think it's a special edition) or the petrol SEAT LEON 2000 cc T FSI Cupra K1.. nice

There are some pretty interesting 1-series beemers around at the moment.. some pretty pokey little motors if you can get past the odd looks....

Don't touch the merc c-class sport coupe horror..... nasty .... appears to be the old car with new wings and a corporate snoot fitted.... cack motor...

and last,, new mitsu sport coupe / hatch thingy.. looksgood on the advert..

£15K gets you a mint S1 Elise/good VX220/average S2 Elise @£10K and a solid 2004 Mondeo diesel. You'll still spend less in fuel, tax and servicing, and you've still got a very fun car you can play with as well as something to transport things around in.

That's a far more fun option than compromising with a FWD scrabble wagon IMHO.

I disagree, i bet when you add up the costs of having two cars it will be higher, its things like insurance you have to factor in. If you saw the recent fifth gear you'll see how impressive the megane is!!!

But you'd have both cars on a limited mileage policy, as you can't drive them both at once! In all fairness though the insurance may well be a tad higher, but you offset that against what you save on fuel + tax. I don't watch Fifth Gear as the presenters make me want to rape my own face off, but whilst every review of the Megane I've read has been positive, it's still not going to be as much fun or as cheap to run as the Elise.

If you only want one car then I'd go for the RX-8 myself, as you'd pick up a minter for under £10K and put the savings towards fuel + oil. Being RWD gives it a huge plus point over the Megane in driver involvement, it's much better looking and just as sensible.

If you're after a hot hatch, an Astra VXR will knock spots off most of them, especially the Focus ST.

The Cupra K1 is seeing very very good gains from a remap.

An Astra VXR remap will see you hitting around 260bhp at least, with a Remus exhaust which you'll be able to get pretty cheap now everyone is upgrading to a Milltek from Thorney MS, and a different fuel map, you'll see 290bhp.

As it's a Vauxhall, it's cheap, cheap parts, cheap servicing. I had a Astra VXR Nurburgring for a few days (it's a white one with a pretty loud exhaust), driving it pretty hard with some medium cruises in between, I averaged 26mpg.

Get a black one with anthracite 19's, as subtle as it's going to get.

Can you tell I work for Vauxhall....

If you need to know anything about Astra VXR's, give me a PM, It's unfortunate, but I know just about everything about them.

Neil - I'm kind of in the same boat as you, planning on selling my Zed but for 5 doors due to baby but want a sporty car which has some punch. My budget is a bit lower than yours tho.

My shortlist at the moment is

1 - Focus ST3. They have good equipment and go ok (not as much as my old RS felt) and sound nice. Don't like the sound of the poor MPG though

2 - Civic 2.2 diesel. A friend has one, I personally like the interior, has loads of toys and the car feels pretty fast

3 - Golf 1.4 TSI - actually suprised to see this has 170bhp and 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. Has got to be reasonable on the mpg and tax. A lad at work has the 140bhp one and that goes ok.

cheers ;)

Ads

I've got a civic 2.2 TDI company car in black, brilliant and faultless car! Quick, I am getting around 47mpg and spacious wise its amazing, seats fold up in the back, boot is huge with a secret space too! Test drove golf, 1 series, leon, focus and few others and civic wins hands down, golf was prob 2nd.