'Uninspiring' engine?

uberf1end

I have to agree with Sarnie (fook I'm getting bad at that!). The Op needs to decide on what he wants from the car. When I was looking into getting mine, an Elise or VX220 would never come into my mind as I need a boot and for it to be a good daily driver! No car like the Zed is going to compare to them in handling or wow factor. What the Zed does offer is a good pace and comfort to boot. Remember it is a GT car more than an out and out sports car. But that doesnt mean it ait quick as fook. I regularly put my mates Evo VIII to shame, which is prob more down to the driver, but his car feels a lot faster than mine because of the turbo thrust. The Zed is very deceptive with its very linea power delivery. But it does mean you have power all the time and can drive it lazily if you dont fancy ragging it everywhere.

I'd say decide on what you want from the car and then testdrive the ones that offer you what you want :thumbs:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree its not going to win any awards for the engine

Really????????

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_story_behind_wards_5/

I beg to differ....... :thumbs:

+1

Never heard of that awards but in the press its engines like the audi rs4 and bmw m3 lumps that are kings. I'm not saying its not a great engine i just mean its nothing that revolutionary. In terms of the best v6 sound, i think you may have overlooked the alfa 3.2 v6...now thats a soundtrack! :thumbs:

I did notice on my routine drive from work home, that a particular straight section was covered in a much shorter time than usual.

This was at 4am with no other traffic and when I noticed that the straight section was ending sooner than usual I glanced at my speedo, only to find that it was showing 150!!!

id disagree about the engine, i think the engine is awesome when you get it into the right powerband and keep it there,

Although ive spent a fair amount modding mine i was passing elises/exiges/vx220's/boxters on the track with relative ease just with better brakes/suspension

stock v stock is another argument i guess, from what i read the chassis itself is very capable (although a little heavy) its just let down a bit by the stock equipment for track use.

In terms of the best v6 sound, i think you may have overlooked the alfa 3.2 v6...now thats a soundtrack! :thumbs:

+1, as available in the old 156 GTA and 3.2 GT. Shame they were such crap cars otherwise. They've stopped making them now, the 3.2's in the 159 and Brera are some GM developed characterless lumps.

According to a review (some time ago) in Top Gear magazine... you will look way cooler in the zed than any of it's closest rivals.

The alternative list existed for me and was a bit like this.. also my deciding thoughts in brackets.

Boxter S (You'll look a ****)

E46 M3 (You won't look a **** B) )

S2000 (It's a Honda)

Elise (Girls car)

Also the fact that I've got a history of Japanese cars including numerous Supra, Skyline, GTO, Z32 etc I didn't want to sever myself from the Jap community, so all these factors pointed directly to the Zed.

According to a review (some time ago) in Top Gear magazine... you will look way cooler in the zed than any of it's closest rivals.

E46 M3 (You'll look a ****)

Don't let Sarnie see this! :headhurt:

True though :blush:

My brother drove one and he is a massive ****

E46 M3 (You'll look a ****)

Don't let Sarnie see this! :headhurt:

If he actually watched TG lately he would know that E46 M3's are now cool and its RS4 drivers that are cocks ;)

Also the fact that I've got a history of Japanese cars including numerous Supra, Skyline, GTO, Z32 etc I didn't want to sever myself from the Jap community, so all these factors pointed directly to the Zed.

Exactomundo! I've had a fair few motors over the years but ask any mechanic and they will usually agree that Jap motors go forever.

Hence why there's so many Nissan/Toyota/Honda Taxi's.

Personally my sig explains it all...

I used to run an S14a (200sx) uprated to about 250bhp. Lighter than the 350 but not quite as powerful. Same 0-60 and 0-100 times i reckon.

The 200 always 'felt' faster because it delivered its power in a lump when the turbo had spooled up. The Zed is far more progressive, and you have to thwaap it from about 4,600rpm in 2nd, 3rd etc to get it *really* shifting.

Its deceptively quick tho when you push it. But i agree it doesnt like being pushed from lower revs - seems very placid from 2000rpm thru to redline in any gear... i guess thats the progressive nature of the engine tho, there is no sudden surge so its easier to predict in corners etc.

If you test drive one keep an eye on the speedo - due to the power being so smooth you might not realise how fast your going.

A friend drove one when he was used to turbo cars - commented as we pulled onto the motorway how he was not really sure as it just wasn't very fast....he then looked down and noticed he was doing 95.

Where in his cars he would have had 3 kicks from the turbo in the 350z its just constant power, power, power all the way through.

I wanted a VX220 Turbo, couldn't find a nice one in 4 months :mad:

Saw a 350z, they hadn't even crossed my mind, just always thought they were out of my price range, always loved them though. I thought "Ello....."

My pro's and con's went like this;

VX - Cheap parts and servicing (I work at a Vauxhall dealership)

Spastically fast

Looks very sexy

Genuinely incredible to drive

No traction control so I will have to pay attention

Heaters are reportedly crap

Ice on the inside of your windscreen

Full leather

You can take the roof off

Remap gives good gains

Engine sounds a bit pants really with an exhaust

Repair work is a little expensive, seem to be damaged easily and easily written off

It would have been my daily driver, but I'm a single 23 year old who's 5'8 and I'm fairly hardcore when it comes to sports cars, I'm quite happy with a hard ride (cheeky) and I'm not bothered about boot space etc. As long as the driving of the car is top notch, I'm happy.

350z;

Looks gorgeous

Sounds gorgeous

Alright, not spastically fast like the above but she pulls very well

Full heated leather

6 disc CD changer!!!

Remote central locking

The screens never seem to freeze over?!? :thumbs: Let alone on the inside

Heater works

Climate Control

Cruise Control

Bluetooth

Traction control for those times every once in a while when you're not quite paying attention

People won't drive into it in a car park thinking it's an empty space as it's obsured by a Ford Focus.

It's Jap!!!! :thumbs: My first car was a Celica GT so I was very glad to stay Jap.

I bought the 350z naturally, never looked back. Very glad I didn't buy the VX as it will have been a real struggle through our winter. It will have been brilliant in the summer, but the 350z is still fine in winter (snow excluding) and still as exciting in the summer.

Roll on summer!

I did notice on my routine drive from work home, that a particular straight section was covered in a much shorter time than usual.

This was at 4am with no other traffic and when I noticed that the straight section was ending sooner than usual I glanced at my speedo, only to find that it was showing 150!!!

There was a video on youtube of a Z doint 0-240kph (roughly 150mph?)

and it only took 45-50ish seconds :surrender:

I wanted a VX220 Turbo, couldn't find a nice one in 4 months :mad:

Saw a 350z, they hadn't even crossed my mind, just always thought they were out of my price range, always loved them though. I thought "Ello....."

My pro's and con's went like this;

VX - Cheap parts and servicing (I work at a Vauxhall dealership)

Spastically fast

Looks very sexy

Genuinely incredible to drive

No traction control so I will have to pay attention

Heaters are reportedly crap

Ice on the inside of your windscreen

Full leather

You can take the roof off

Remap gives good gains

Engine sounds a bit pants really with an exhaust

Repair work is a little expensive, seem to be damaged easily and easily written off

It would have been my daily driver, but I'm a single 23 year old who's 5'8 and I'm fairly hardcore when it comes to sports cars, I'm quite happy with a hard ride (cheeky) and I'm not bothered about boot space etc. As long as the driving of the car is top notch, I'm happy.

350z;

Looks gorgeous

Sounds gorgeous

Alright, not spastically fast like the above but she pulls very well

Full heated leather

6 disc CD changer!!!

Remote central locking

The screens never seem to freeze over?!? :thumbs: Let alone on the inside

Heater works

Climate Control

Cruise Control

Bluetooth

Traction control for those times every once in a while when you're not quite paying attention

People won't drive into it in a car park thinking it's an empty space as it's obsured by a Ford Focus.

It's Jap!!!! :thumbs: My first car was a Celica GT so I was very glad to stay Jap.

I bought the 350z naturally, never looked back. Very glad I didn't buy the VX as it will have been a real struggle through our winter. It will have been brilliant in the summer, but the 350z is still fine in winter (snow excluding) and still as exciting in the summer.

Roll on summer!

you say the vx is quick, im not taking anything away from the car but apart from the 0-60 time (which doesnt matter on a track) i was running rings around the vx220's 1 of the three of which blew its engine after 6 laps, might be a different story in the summer (if we get one) but will be interesting

is it just me that found the vx 220 turbo a huge dissapointment?? My brother had one for about a year and I used it more than him in the summer, yes the steering feel and handling were fantastic but the engine had so many flat spots, sounded awful and never felt mind blowingly quick like all the press say. I believe a remap makes alot of difference and cures the known flat spot but still myself, my brother and my dad included all agreed on this view and my dad has a histroy of caterhams so he used to the whole big go-kart thing.

DSCF0319.jpg

So he sold it and bought this....which on paper is similar to the vx but made it feel like it was stood still no matter the road or corner!

DSCF0394.jpg

I know I will find this out tomorrow but do people think this is a fair comment? I worry as I have always thought the engine is the most important part of a sports car (I have a history with Alfa and some high-revving Japanese engines). Can anyone set my mind at rest?

So how did you find it then, update :thumbs: