'Uninspiring' engine?

uberf1end

If you test drive one keep an eye on the speedo - due to the power being so smooth you might not realise how fast your going.

A friend drove one when he was used to turbo cars - commented as we pulled onto the motorway how he was not really sure as it just wasn't very fast....he then looked down and noticed he was doing 95.

Where in his cars he would have had 3 kicks from the turbo in the 350z its just constant power, power, power all the way through.

+1 - when I first let the missus drive mine, I told her to boot it down the slip road. She was amazed when she looked that the speedo to see nearly 3 figures! Its very very deceptive :thumbs:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I will find this out tomorrow but do people think this is a fair comment? I worry as I have always thought the engine is the most important part of a sports car (I have a history with Alfa and some high-revving Japanese engines). Can anyone set my mind at rest?

So how did you find it then, update :thumbs:

+1

And if he comes on and says it was @*!#, :ban: him :lol:

is it just me that found the vx 220 turbo a huge dissapointment?? My brother had one for about a year and I used it more than him in the summer, yes the steering feel and handling were fantastic but the engine had so many flat spots, sounded awful and never felt mind blowingly quick like all the press say. I believe a remap makes alot of difference and cures the known flat spot but still myself, my brother and my dad included all agreed on this view and my dad has a histroy of caterhams so he used to the whole big go-kart thing.

my mate dan (he's on here) had a VX220 turbo, but i only went for a passenger ride in it after it had had work done, from what i remember it had an exhaust i think the remap, possibly something about it being stage 3 tuned. he'll be able to tell you what it had.

but must admit as a passenger it was rapid, acceleration down the country lanes was pants wettingly fast, under hard acceleration it was hard to stop my head slapping back into the seat. far more brutal than the zed.

he also had uprated brakes, so this thing could stop on a 50 pence piece 90 - 0 was so good it was painful.

i loved that car, and definatly think that the turbo was the best car out of the 2 options. just as good as the westfield i'd been in. but like was said before the heaters were all but non existant. i suppose to make them really good you have to fettle with them a little to make them what they should be

Im in no doubt that the VX's are quick cars but when you start modifing them (or any car), you cant really compare it to a stock car can you. Just my opinoin. :);)

Definately not turbo cars. Does my nut when people say they're car is quicker that something else, to find its a turbo car and all they've done is up the boost. Yes its quicker, well done, their a piece of p!ss to modify! Typical of Evo drivers. Still they shut up when their missus say they prefer the Zeds looks and comfort :lol:

Im in no doubt that the VX's are quick cars but when you start modifing them (or any car), you cant really compare it to a stock car can you. Just my opinoin. :);)

Definately not turbo cars. Does my nut when people say they're car is quicker that something else, to find its a turbo car and all they've done is up the boost. Yes its quicker, well done, their a piece of p!ss to modify! Typical of Evo drivers. Still they shut up when their missus say they prefer the Zeds looks and comfort :lol:

i agree wholey, i was give my opinion of my experience of the car, which is why i mentioned that it was only after it had been adjusted. as i said i was impressed with the fettled version.

but to be honest comparing them to the zed is wrong, as they are completely different cars for different purposes. the zed is a GT tourer where as the vx is a track based racer.

i agree wholey, i was give my opinion of my experience of the car, which is why i mentioned that it was only after it had been adjusted. as i said i was impressed with the fettled version.

but to be honest comparing them to the zed is wrong, as they are completely different cars for different purposes. the zed is a GT tourer where as the vx is a track based racer.

I know you wernt really comparing it just giving your experiance, but I was just mentioning that was all I didnt want it to come across as though I was having a dig at anyone :) .

Dont get me started on evo's while I respect their ability I hate the cars and the fact that because there fast all the little chavs will bum them :lol: Same with saxo's tbh a VTR is not far off the pace to 60 from my 318 but I know which one id rather do it in and be seen in :teeth:

I'm sure most of the chavs would rather have a bmw too but theres a little thing called money which means most of them buy saxo's!

Theres only 4 A's in Alcantara by the way (ref:your sig) ;)

Not necessarily so, when they start spending money doing them up.

Yes I thought it was spelt wrong. :blush:

In all honesty, if you're passing VXs and Elises on track then it's either a) soaking wet or B) they're being driven badly/you're a god behind the wheel. Given a dry track and stock for stock, an S1 Elise with 118bhp will easily be the match of a Zed. Having owned and tracked both a VXR220 and the Zed in both wet and dry conditions, there's simply no contest at all: Anything other than a downpour and the Zed is nowhere near as quick.

That's not to say the VX is the better car, it simply does things differently to the Zed. In an ideal world you'd have both (or at least one track toy and one GT), but I've been lucky enough to have owned both and I respect them for their own merits. I'd love to own a blown Exige next, but for now I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.

Exactly. To go back to the original question though, I personally wouldn't say that the V6 in the Zed is uninspiring, but I wouldn't class it as one of the greatest engines ever either. It does what it does very well, but it's not exactly a K20, LS2 or VHPD K-series either. It's a useful, well built lump of an engine, but compare it next to an Alfa V6 and it's dull as ditchwater.

A good car is more than just it's engine though, and that's where the 350Z shines: As an all-round quality package.

In all honesty, if you're passing VXs and Elises on track then it's either a) soaking wet or B) they're being driven badly/you're a god behind the wheel. Given a dry track and stock for stock, an S1 Elise with 118bhp will easily be the match of a Zed. Having owned and tracked both a VXR220 and the Zed in both wet and dry conditions, there's simply no contest at all: Anything other than a downpour and the Zed is nowhere near as quick.

That's not to say the VX is the better car, it simply does things differently to the Zed. In an ideal world you'd have both (or at least one track toy and one GT), but I've been lucky enough to have owned both and I respect them for their own merits. I'd love to own a blown Exige next, but for now I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.

No idea why, wasnt going past the exiges there, i have driven an elise on the track (and an exige) and didnt think that much to the elise, never driven or been in a vx and it might be down to skill but who knows, as has already been said stock vs non stock is another argument..

No idea why, wasnt going past the exiges there, i have driven an elise on the track (and an exige) and didnt think that much to the elise, never driven or been in a vx and it might be down to skill but who knows, as has already been said stock vs non stock is another argument..

Most likely down to the driver :thumbs:

And IIRC your car isnt exactly stock? Wasnt it you who has the big AP brake kit and suspension upgrades? ;)

Which Elise? I found the S1 to be a much more direct car due to the wheel sizes, as the S2s have such skinny front wheels you really have to provoke them to get anything at all. An S2 111S (K powered) ran out of puff too much at the top end for my taste, but the 2ZZ fits the 111R as a track car so much better.

My old VXR ran the same size wheels as an Exige, and felt better than any of the Elises I mentioned above. Why Lotus don't make them in that size for all their 111 derivatives, I don't know.