Good paint sealant?

matth76

Hi

Had my new car machine polished a few days ago before picking it up and want to protect it with some good paint sealant to maintain a nice shiny gloss but also give good protection against birds muck etc. Please can anyone recommend a good product and where I can buy it?

Thanks for any help.

Try Chemical Guys Jetseal 109,I use it on my alloys but it's equally as good on paint.You could also try one of the various spray sealants that are available.I tend to seal after I have waxed with Zaino Z8 which is very easy to apply.

As Stew said a good wax after the polishing should protect the paint.

Was it a detailer that machined your car? If so they should have prepped and waxed the paintwork after they've corrected it.

What colour is your car and I will recommend some prodcust for you to buy to maintain it correctly.

Paul

As they said the dealer, I would expect it was not a detailer but a body shop tech that did it.

My personal recommendations for sealant (not inc the ones above, they are good too) is Autoglym (AG) Extra Gloss Protection (EGP). Doddle to apply and lasts quite a while. Make sure you leave it on overnight in the garage if you can. Also do a couple of layers.

For wax, anything in the Dodo range. Paul will tell you which suits your car, or Matt of i4detailing is a good lad, he'll point you in the right direction. We get a discount at i4d too :thumbs: I have Dodo Supernatural, and its f'in brilliant! Bit expensive mind.

Oh and I would recommend you use something like Dodo Lime Prime to get rid of any nasties from the paint as machine polishing wont get rid of everything. Will give you a glossy shine to work with the sealant and wax.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sealant, then polish then Wax. If you're looking for the ultimate in shine I would recomend anything in the Dodo Juice range. I've tried most products over the years but nothing comes close to the results I've had with these products. try a company called "The Ultimate Finish", They will advise you on the specifics for your car. Dodo do a range of waxes suitable for differing colours. If you want to check out the results look for The Damson Datsun on the Sxoc stand at Japfest. :thumbs:

The sealant does what it says on the tin. It seals the paint and it's neutral in it's chemical make up. Some polishes and waxes can react with some types of paint. Particularly if the car has any SMART repairs. The sealant prevents this from happening. You then polish and wax effectively on top of this protective coating, et Voila! A lovely shiney Car. If you want to know more about techniques have a look on the site www.detailingworld.co.uk. :thumbs:

Different Technique to me....

I cleanse the paint then machine polish the clear coat. Then seal in my handywork (no swirls) and then wax for protection.

I get a nice finish. It works for me.

I still don't get why you'd seal before polishing as the polish will cut through the sealant I'd have thought therefore wasting the product and perhaps making the polish less effective.....

A good polish should only have a minimal cutting compound content. Better still none at all. After all it's not really for restorative treatments. Thus if you use a good one it will not Cut through the sealant. It will however help build up the Depth on top of the paint thus filling in any swirls and allowing a greater sheen with the Wax coat.

I'm sorry but thats completely wrong IMO. The whole point of a polish is to be a cutting compound. How they do this is either with a mechanical cutter (abrasive) or using chemicals. The idea is to prep the paint work (in most cases a clear coat) and remove any iregularties so that it is ready for LSPs such as sealants and waxes which protect your nice revitialised paint. Many polishes will contain very little cut and things like silicone to fill the swirls that are left, which is good for amateurs and enthusiasts (I use AG SRP on my car and it was machine polished a few months back but I didnt get 100% correction due to thin paint so this helps hide whats left), but true polish will not contain this instead having varying levels of cut (such as PB SSR range).

Can I ask where you got the information from with regards sealing the paint before polishing? I have been a detailling enthusiast for more years than I care to remember and have never heard this approach before, and from the many writeups on here and DW, I cant ever see it being used :wacko:

You polish, then seal, then wax. End of. :) There is no need to polish after you have applied sealant, what does it achieve?? :wacko:

Sealeant products? Chemical Guys jetSEAL 109 is a great product, check Detailing World for the number of people who swear by it, professional and amateur alike. Then wax on top gives a nice finish. Collinite is a similar thing by make sure it's their hardest wax. :thumbs:

My personal recommendations for sealant (not inc the ones above, they are good too) is Autoglym (AG) Extra Gloss Protection (EGP). Doddle to apply and lasts quite a while.

Make sure you leave it on overnight in the garage if you can.

By this do you mean actually leaving the applied coat of sealant overnight before buffing it off? I thought you were meant to leave it for only a few minutes before buffing off.

My personal recommendations for sealant (not inc the ones above, they are good too) is Autoglym (AG) Extra Gloss Protection (EGP). Doddle to apply and lasts quite a while.

Make sure you leave it on overnight in the garage if you can.

By this do you mean actually leaving the applied coat of sealant overnight before buffing it off? I thought you were meant to leave it for only a few minutes before buffing off.

Yes, apply and leave overnight if possible. AG now say not to leave it long, but do a bit of searching on Detailing World and you will find the truth. Apparently AG use to say to leave it on for about 12hrs to fully cure and bond to the paint, but as not many people can do that they didnt sell a lot. So now they say to just leave it for an hour or as long as possible. Best results are to be had if you can leave it overnight in a garage ;)

Well my advice on Detailing cars comes from a very good friend of mine who details exotics for a living. You don't charge £1000 a time and get flown around the world to prep cars for such events as The Pebble Beach concours without some degree of knowledge. Maybe your idea of sealant and polish differ from what is truly the case. I hope this helps you in your endevours. :thumbs: