The Other Half's car - depreciation nightmare!

had ham

We live in the sticks, do the horses, shooting, country stuff, run a football team, have 3 kids, dog, etc, so our other car is a 7 seater Pathfinder, which is perfect for our family needs. Mrs HH uses it mostly.

It's our second one, and is an Aventura diesel auto, with all the bells and whistles you coud dream of, and is on a 07 plate, with 12k miles. I paid nearly £30K for it 20 months ago (which in itself was £4k off list). Whilst procuring my new 350, the same dealer mentioned to me that he had some stunning deals on new Pathfinders - I said I was interested and asked him to value ours, look at our settlement fee (it's on a PCP) and come back to me.

Long story short, they offered £11K 'at a push' :blink: for the Pathfinder - in other words it's lost £19k or 60%+ of it's value in 20 months.

That's a fair few grand below the settlement fee. Looks like we won't be changing it then....

Many in the same boat.

One of the management at work just traded his 3,2 DSG TT which was mint in for an A6 Avant. I can't remember the age ashe runs a private plate but was offed 6k for it against a 35k ag XF and Landrover. Audi offered 8k as he was a repeat customer.

It's shocking!

Well I normally change the family car every two years or so - but it looks like we'll be running this fecker into the ground!

I always opted for PCPs as it made it easy to change cars frequently and monthly costs were kept lowish. The step change in RVs means that's out of the window......for me and many others I'd imagine!

As they are currently selling the Aventura with all bells and whistles via the "friends and family" scheme at around £15k I believe, then its easy to see where they got that figure from.

Its a fairly depressing picture :(

£17000 to Joe Public :headhurt:

As they are currently selling the Aventura with all bells and whistles via the "friends and family" scheme at around £15k I believe, then its easy to see where they got that figure from.

Its a fairly depressing picture :(

£17000 to Joe Public :headhurt:

That is one hell of a lot of car for £17K! More space than a Disco and £27K cheaper spec for spec!

Mind you, my salesman tells me more 'normal' pricing will resume when stocks are gone. He's actually sold 19 cars this month - including 3 'Long Way Down' special edition Patrols - one of his best months ever and by far and away his best January ever - every single car (apart from one new Murano?!?!) are the current 'special offers'...

• 3 weeks later...
I lost exactly £2000 on a Fiesta ST in 1 year. I did part-ex, but I got a good deal originally and shopped around for the part ex. Depressing. However, if car prices hadnt have dropped I wouldnt have a Z. Swings and roundabouts

2k in a year is nice.

My Zed lost about 3k probably in 2 - 2 1/2 years and about 6k in the last 6 months.

I lost exactly £2000 on a Fiesta ST in 1 year. I did part-ex, but I got a good deal originally and shopped around for the part ex. Depressing. However, if car prices hadnt have dropped I wouldnt have a Z. Swings and roundabouts

2k in a year is nice.

My Zed lost about 3k probably in 2 - 2 1/2 years and about 6k in the last 6 months.

Yup. When I got mine, they were holding value really well. 3yr old with 30k miles were about £18k. Now you can get a new one for that! Thats in 2 years, most of it in the last 6-8 months :surrender:

Still bodes well for when I want a nearly new 370z, if there will be any around. Reckon everyone will want a nearly new one just so they dont take the biggest hit on it!

I lost 2K on my Civic Type R in t 2 years. I recon on about 5-6K in the last 6 months on my Zed.

:wacko:

All the longe term owners are in the same boat!

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

You're absolutely right Stew. Still makes it hard to stomach though.

Just aswell the Zed is good as I can't afford to change it anytime soon! :lol::lol:

A bloke I know bought a fully loaded M3 last sept for £55500 and 2 weeks ago he went back to the dealer and asked about a trade in for a 7 series because it wasn't big enough for him.It had done 3200 miles.How much did the dealers offer him as a trade in.

£33750 :scare:

Just over the price of my Z in 5 months.Made me feel much better about the rate my car has dropped.:D

There are some serious serious bargains to be had if you're in the trade though.

My 350z GT. Black, late 05/55, 29k on the clock, retail example.

Up for sale originally at circa £16k, dropped to just shy of £14k.

I bought it 2 months ago for £10k dead on.

It's definately the wrong time to sell your car but by miles, the best time to buy.

On another note, we had a chap in who bought a brand new VXR8, paid list price, circa £34k (not from us). He had it for 6 months dead on, put 9k miles on it and his missis left him so he downsized to a Vectra VXR. We gave him £23k for it, this was even before the arse fell out of the car market. Then he bought the Vectra for 17k, then the arse fell out the car market, he had that for 2 months, traded it in elsewhere for 12k.

Poor chap.