Dash re-trim

coup

Having not owned my zed for long I'm already considering a few mods and i can't help but think the interior could be improved a bit. Nothing too radical so that it looks like it could have been factory fit.

I like this -

aston-martin-dbs-interior1.jpg

I think retriming the dash on either side of the centre console would look B)

Has anyone done anything like this?

It would be around the £1000+ mark i would have guessed if you were doing the whole interior.

IMO the interior of the car would look much much better in a trim. When i first got the car I was looking at how easy it would be to alcantara the trim. I saw a pic of a car in the US that had it done and it made the interior look 200% better. Rather than a cheapo plastic look it had that look of quality

It would be around the £1000+ mark i would have guessed if you were doing the whole interior.

IMO the interior of the car would look much much better in a trim. When i first got the car I was looking at how easy it would be to alcantara the trim. I saw a pic of a car in the US that had it done and it made the interior look 200% better. Rather than a cheapo plastic look it had that look of quality

Got the boot and a bit of the passenger compartment done in Alcantara in mine. Got some of eBay (not real Alcantara but some kind of knock off called S-Alcantara) and it looks soooo much better. Not completely happy with it yet, needs some tweaking, but even now it looks a lot nicer and less rattles. Will post up pics when I'm done.

Dash is up next, it looks easy, but worried about the passenger airbag and covering over it. Need to look into what should be done about that.

If you want it all done properly you will be looking at £1k plus. Proper Alcantara retails at about £60/sq m and you'd need in excess of 10m, so thats £600 just for material. Thats with no headlining done.

Got the boot and a bit of the passenger compartment done in Alcantara in mine. Got some of eBay (not real Alcantara but some kind of knock off called S-Alcantara) and it looks soooo much better. Not completely happy with it yet, needs some tweaking, but even now it looks a lot nicer and less rattles. Will post up pics when I'm done.

Dash is up next, it looks easy, but worried about the passenger airbag and covering over it. Need to look into what should be done about that.

If you want it all done properly you will be looking at £1k plus. Proper Alcantara retails at about £60/sq m and you'd need in excess of 10m, so thats £600 just for material. Thats with no headlining done.

I take it that you have been doing the work yourself?

I take it that you have been doing the work yourself?

Yup - saves a few quid! Looks v good too so far. The bits that are left, bar the dash, are all very complicated shapes or big areas though so think it will be off to a pro to finish it :)

Anyone seen a Zed with a flocked dash? Like they have in rallying? It looks cool in rally cars, not sure it would suit the Zed though. Was thinking that might be cheaper than getting it retrimmed.

Currently thinking I might retrim the lower dash myself in Alcantara and have the top part flocked so it shouldnt cost more than a £100-150 B)

Like this

1153757457-CBC.jpg

Re Alcantara - Don't suppose you've got any tips/guide on how to do this?

For example what you use to adhere it, do you put foam on the back etc?

Dont really have much experience matey. Just picked up this S-Alcantara stuff of ebay (Tuningleader was the seller), it was already foam backed. Used some Locktite spray glue from Halfords to stick it. Also got some Autoleads glue which is the same pretty much that I used for the last bits. Its just a case of trail and error, no real writeup for it as I dont really know what I'm doing! :lol: Will post up how it goes though. I've only done the easier bits, so no tight corners or anything, I think thats a real art.

Looks like acool job there Chris :thumbs:

This is a big subject - you really need to see a trimmer in action but ....

spray glue if fine but you really need to use Evostick adhesive or similar in a can. Get a flat spreader - cut up some hardboard into 2 x 4inch and use that to spread it on the dash - try to get an even finish. I dont know what the dash is like underneath but be careful as some glues can melt the plastics underneath! :headhurt: Also make sure you have adequate ventilation that stuff is evil, also spread the glue on the underside of the material and let it set for 10 mins I think so its just lightly tacky - the tricky bit is where it pulls round the edges and holes etc - you need to cut the material in such a way that you can pull it round and finish off without overlap or creases?

Also I would suggest you staple the very edges you pull round or at least clamp them for a few hours until the glue sets - remember a lot of heat is generated on the dash so careful work here will reward you with years of trouble free service.

Make paper templates - its cheaper than cutting material!!

The tricky bit is around the dial pods - as they are welded to the dash top - but you can do something with that!

Dashboards with fiddly bits and door trim - your better off using a thin vinyl or fabric so you can keep the detail in the moulding underneath?

Most Velour has a thin foam backing anyway.

You can get wood veneer from craft shops and most other stuff from DIY shops?

Leather is expensive and even today is generally £100 for a full hide.

Fabrics on average £5 / metre or so - but that could be old prices subject to the current economy!

If you need supplies try:

Segal (Motor Trimmings) Ltd

29 Blackfriars Road Salford Lancashire M3 7AQ

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/

Hope this helps?

PM me if you need more info/help (ex trimmer in past life) :thumbs:

I used some of the 3m spray glue from hobby craft, good thing is you can peel it off if you dont like and then remove whats left with sticky stuff remover and no damage to the item you covered.

You have to get to the point where the glue is almost dry but still wet enough so you can adjust the alcantera.

The guys that do it for real, use a type of paste glue that look a little like honey and they rough up the part they are sticking too to get a proper adhesion..

As chris says, trial and error and start off with something small and reasonably flat!!

The guys that do it for real, use a type of paste glue that look a little like honey and they rough up the part they are sticking too to get a proper adhesion..

yes its impact adhesive - you let it set a while so when the 2 parts are joined they grip on impact ! Not nice and it gets everywhere! You cant wear gloves as they stick and also melt!! :lol:

The Spray stuff is normally to glue foam together to make up a seat base shape for example but also to glue side panels on :)

Oh the Bentley type interior at the top of this thread can be achieved very easily - you need to make carboard templates for the material and any fancy moulds you want? It really is not hard you just need a decent sewing machine or sew by hand like I did years ago!!! Use the proper thread though for car upholstery not domestic stuff - not strong enough.

Oh and rememeber when sewing material its usually inside out - so think in reverse logic!! :lol: Time and prep is your friend! :D

Ahhh Stan, now I know where to send my bits to that are too complicated for me!!

Got word back from the flocker and they can only do the dash if you disable the passenger airbag. What can you do about it if you chose to retrim in Alcatara? Is it possible to make a weak spot in the material it can pop through? Wasnt a bad price for the flock, £90 to do the 4 squarer bits that form the upper and lower dash. Tempted to get the centre console done though.

Evo stick is nasty stuff, but dont half bond stong! Used it to bond stuff before and as you say it can melt stuff! I just used autoleads spray glue. Its not the strongest stuff in the world, but as Mark says you can remove it. Plus, the foam on teh back of the material I have doesnt seem to be super strong, it gives up before the glue, so dont think I need anything stronger.

Chris funny you should mention Airbags I forgot to add that to my comment - that is a worry? You should cut the material so it is not joined to the rest of the dash (unlike the airbag cover which has a seam welded thin join that rips whenthe explosion occurs) Troubel there is getting a really nice finish - the only way is to use a very thin material and do a neat 3mm fold all the way round - glueing it to itself - I suggest then putting it between 2 pieces of ply and clamping them with a G Clamp for a few hours? Tricky but not impossible?

I ahev thought about options for mine actually and the Bentley interior is just top B)

If I ever get time to do anything car related I will have a go - but I have an old friend that needs to come out of retirement first (my Beetle) :)

Damn, thats a shame, it sounds so difficult! And not sure Amanda will let me disable the air bag on her side just so the dash can look pretty :headhurt:

Think you need to be the club retrimmer Stan, can bring your sewing machine to the Wales meets and do us stuff on the spot :lol:

Damn, thats a shame, it sounds so difficult! And not sure Amanda will let me disable the air bag on her side just so the dash can look pretty :headhurt:

Think you need to be the club retrimmer Stan, can bring your sewing machine to the Wales meets and do us stuff on the spot :lol:

Well imagine you are rolling pastry over - just a small lip to be turned over - its hard to explain in words? Failing that - turn the material over a bit bigger than you need - sew it on a fine stitch setting and then just cut the excess material off (from underneath) then you just glue the whole thing on top of the airbag (no need to switch off)

Come on Chris you've done a good job so far - go for it! :thumbs:

My sewing machine is a manual Singer from the 1920's yes a proper tredle job - never get it in the Zed!!! Ha ha would just give Ebized more ammunition to take the p*** out of my Granny driving!! :lol::p

Well imagine you are rolling pastry over - just a small lip to be turned over - its hard to explain in words? Failing that - turn the material over a bit bigger than you need - sew it on a fine stitch setting and then just cut the excess material off (from underneath) then you just glue the whole thing on top of the airbag (no need to switch off)

Come on Chris you've done a good job so far - go for it! :thumbs:

My sewing machine is a manual Singer from the 1920's yes a proper tredle job - never get it in the Zed!!! Ha ha would just give Ebized more ammunition to take the p*** out of my Granny driving!! :lol::p

LOL - well may give it a go!

BTW the pic I posted earlier was just an example of flocking, its not my work. Mine doesnt look half as good as that :blush:

Stan, just been re-reading what you put (sorry tend to skim read at work, no time to dwell on things), and lets see if I get what you are saying. For the passenger side, you cover it in material, but would leave a cut out for the airbag. Then take another piece which is slightly bigger than the hole and tuck the edges under (neatly!), then glue this in the hole so that there is a gap in the glue which means when the airbag fires there is a weak point for it to go through as normal? So you cant do a truely seamless airbag bit, but you can make it look nice and neat with a little overlap?

I would be concerned about the airbag not being able to fire correctly? The manufacturers spend years testing this stuff out and have a dedicated trimming research dept that chooses plastics etc etc for specific properties?

Think its preferable to have seperate material not joined but maybe overlapped slightly than a solid fabric? Fabric is surprisingly strong car fabric is designed to last 10 times more than household sofa material for example?

To do a welded seam which you can do in fabric and velour - you need a soldering iron that has a thin metal wheel above and below the material - to reproduce that at home is near impossible - best thing is maybe make a design feature out of it?

Overlap the fabric onto the dash material - use a nice coloured thread material I dunno contrasting colour like red or orange maybe? (Like in some Bentley /Jag interiors) Other option is to get some very thin black edging plastic and sew or glue that to the edges? Or you coudl go Chav and get soem chrome plastic strip and work it round!!

Bottom line is you want that Airbag to go off and save your skin !

Hmm let me have a look at the dash tonight on the way home - cant remember how it looks at the mo?

I would be concerned about the airbag not being able to fire correctly? The manufacturers spend years testing this stuff out and have a dedicated trimming research dept that chooses plastics etc etc for specific properties?

Think its preferable to have seperate material not joined but maybe overlapped slightly than a solid fabric? Fabric is surprisingly strong car fabric is designed to last 10 times more than household sofa material for example?

To do a welded seam which you can do in fabric and velour - you need a soldering iron that has a thin metal wheel above and below the material - to reproduce that at home is near impossible - best thing is maybe make a design feature out of it?

Overlap the fabric onto the dash material - use a nice coloured thread material I dunno contrasting colour like red or orange maybe? (Like in some Bentley /Jag interiors) Other option is to get some very thin black edging plastic and sew or glue that to the edges? Or you coudl go Chav and get soem chrome plastic strip and work it round!!

Bottom line is you want that Airbag to go off and save your skin !

Hmm let me have a look at the dash tonight on the way home - cant remember how it looks at the mo?

Yeah that sounds like a plan matey. I was just wanting to make sure what I thought I thought was what you thought :lol: The bit you are losing me on is the overlapping fabric. Are you saying to have no material attached via glue to the passenger side, or have some, with a hole, glued on, then a seperate piece that overlays that which is glued only over the centre bit where the airbag will come from?