Dash re-trim

coup

Hmm that brown leather one looks really well done - shame about the colours IMO but it does look well done.

The DIY boot does look soooo much better.

Another alternatice to Alacantara is called Alicantara or much easier just faux suade. Most people would not know the difference between a good faux suade retrim and alcantara.

Chris, the airbag may bo ok done this way?

superint.jpg

If your in the Surrey area I do know someone who can do it, but am there first!

Yeah thats the way I was thinking it would have to be done. Just unsure as to how you finish it like that. I guess you would roll the sides on both pieces so they touch like this )( butted together. Would have to be a very accurate fold ;)

Another alternatice to Alacantara is called Alicantara or much easier just faux suade. Most people would not know the difference between a good faux suade retrim and alcantara.

The problem with the fake stuff is that its meant to fade and wear. However given the stuff I got was like £10/m and real Alcantara is £60/m I was willing to give it a try ;)

Hello Gents

ok had a shuftie at the dash on the journey home - the thing we need to find out is where exactly the airbag deploys? Does it break the vinyl in the middle of the dash roughly where the 'airbag' writing is - or does it flip the whole top off (from the bottom seam where it joins the lower underside panel (you know where there should be a glovebox!! :boxing: )

If its the whole thing then your ok - just cover up to that seam - and use a seperate piece for the last underside bit - overlapping as you say that way you have 2 sections like the dash is at the moment?

If on the other hand the airbag is just that bit in the middle then well its gonna look pants is'nt it with a seperate section? The only way to make that look reasonable is a seperate section but hidden by sewing flutes down the dash at regular intervals - this is hard to explain in words....

Ok give me a couple of days to get some work stuff out of the way and I will post a fresh thread - basic guide to trimming techniques with pictures - helps me explain better - will dig out some old pics hopefully give the club some ideas on how to tackle these jobs - its not hard but prep is everything and spending time choosing the right materials ? :)

Nice one Stan :thumbs:

From what I've seen, I would guess the airbag breaks through the large upper dash panel rather than flipping the whole thing back. I've seen a pic of the dash off with the airbag attached to it and it fills only the central portion which is why I would expect it to come out the centre.

Chris I am inclined to agree - you can see slight dimples under the skin so to speak when the light catches the dash - shame really - well you can cover the whole thing and just risk it but personally I would be a bit concerned? We really need someone who knows about airbag deployment to advise how it works and how it breaks the surface? I mean is there a sharp edge underneath that breaks it or is it just the brute force of the explosive?

The fake leathercloth can look pretty real these days and is easy to use - maybe what you can do is cut the backing ( a light netting material) gently with a knife to break that strength where its located over the airbag area? At least its just vinyl that breaks after that - but material - cloths are far stronger than vinyl?

I am guessing the steering wheel bag just flings the plastic cover out of the way? :surrender:

Well anyway will do a guide in glorious technicolour . :thumbs:

Really interested in what you do here Chris! Please post pics when you start it. I will get this dash removal guide done and posted this week (I hope)

I have pics of all the parts removed (full dash and panels. I will take pics of all clips and the locations etc. If you need any pics or info before I do the guide PM me. Good Luck!!

:thumbs:

Good stuff guys.

Stan: Until we take apart the dash or know exactly how it works, I wont be sticking anything to the dash! I'm definately not going to just wing it and hope if works. If it turns out it punches a hole in the dash (most likely) I think it will need to be done in two pieces and will just have to live with seeing the join. It will still look better than stock!

I'm sure this was in a members for sale (R35LEE?) pic, but cant find the proper thread now, anyway stolen off ebay:

e147_1.JPG

Cool stuff - gents!

I cant help with removal of the parts on the Zed - as I've not done it other than the centre console, but I can help with technique , materials advice and other stuff you may get stuck with. Chris just be careful with that airbag - last thing we want is it exploding in your face! :surrender:

Just remember if its thick material, you need to consider how it fits around things like the air vents etc - too much pressure due to the thickness can cause unsightly bulges and distort the fittings?

Will save all this gunf for the guide - and do some easy to follow (hopefully) drawings too. I used to repair/ recover Figaro dashboards as a side line will dig out some of those pics if I can find them! ;)

Chris just be careful with that airbag - last thing we want is it exploding in your face! :surrender:

Just remember if its thick material, you need to consider how it fits around things like the air vents etc - too much pressure due to the thickness can cause unsightly bulges and distort the fittings?

Dont worry chap, its not mine, I stole the pic from somewhere. I know you have to handle airbags with care, I've had the drivers one out a few times to re-finish the steering wheel :thumbs:

Re the thickness of the material - thats whats putting me off doing it atm. The stuff I have is foam backed so dont think it will take well to the dash around the vents. Might have to buy some proper alcantara which isnt foam backed to do it. But first we need to work out how the air bag works :surrender:

Chris just be careful with that airbag - last thing we want is it exploding in your face! :surrender:

Dont worry chap, its not mine, I stole the pic from somewhere. I know you have to handle airbags with care, I've had the drivers one out a few times to re-finish the steering wheel :thumbs:

Re the thickness of the material - thats whats putting me off doing it atm. The stuff I have is foam backed so dont think it will take well to the dash around the vents. Might have to buy some proper alcantara which isnt foam backed to do it. But first we need to work out how the air bag works :surrender:

Well you can get round problem by trimming the foam backing off the material when its near the edge of the vent for example - that way you dont have that problem - in fact trim it a few mill before the edge so as you stretch the fabric round you get a nice tapered effect - hang on for my guide and you will see what I mean - a picture speaks a lot more than my words!!! :lol:

Well you can get round problem by trimming the foam backing off the material when its near the edge of the vent for example - that way you dont have that problem - in fact trim it a few mill before the edge so as you stretch the fabric round you get a nice tapered effect - hang on for my guide and you will see what I mean - a picture speaks a lot more than my words!!! :lol:

Dont worry, I'm waiting! I only got 4m of material off the fella, so need to order more, will wait for your guide before starting it all again :thumbs:

Why don't we do a 2 part guide then? I'll do my best with the dash removal write up and the trimmers use that as a base for their guide on re-trimming? I have started my guide but work is getting in the way! Apparently I'm not paid to write guides at work, oh how wrong he is haha!

Why don't we do a 2 part guide then? I'll do my best with the dash removal write up and the trimmers use that as a base for their guide on re-trimming? I have started my guide but work is getting in the way! Apparently I'm not paid to write guides at work, oh how wrong he is haha!

Your right thats the best way I forgot to put that down yesterday actually- please can you take pictures of the fittings on the top and underneath so I can see what the underside of the trim is like -i.e mouldings etc - well whatever you can anyway - its a big job I expect?

I will do a general guide to trimming processes but maybe bias it to Nissan flimsy fittings!! :lol:

Like you my work is getting in the way but hopefully get it done in the next week or so!

Thanks for your time on this btw :thumbs:

I had the dash in my 200sx flocked - was a huge improvement over the acres of shiny plastic that used to obscure my view on the occasional sunny british day. It made me want to flock EVERYTHING it was so cool. Cost about £100 to have it done properly (very large piece) even though you can get home kits I was glad it got done properly instead of probably patchily if my previous gluing experiences are anything to go by.

I would have wanted the 350z dash flocked too but the standard rubbery finish plastic doesn't reflect anywhere as much light so it seemed a bit unnecessary - also I was fine driving the 200sx around without a dash and the instrument binnacle cable-tied in place while the flocking was done but it's a bit too ghetto for my posh 350z ;)

It does indeed look very cool. Been put on hold while we work out how to get around the passenger airbag though as we dont know how it breaks through. I found some slo-mo crash footage which shows how it breaks through, but need to somehow download it and watch it frame by frame!

Wouldnt do a DIY flock as it looks ok for small areas, but no where near uniform enough for big expanses. Was quoted £90 to have the upper and lower 4 dash panels done.

• 2 weeks later...
Here you go chris, I knew I had seen a pic somewhere of one that showed it...

If you look at the pics in this fine example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-350Z-HIGHL ... 240%3A1318 (NOT...!) Am not cluso but I guess this one has had the bags go off and the guy has tried to cover it up!

Cheers mate :thumbs:

I think your right on the bags going off as he only had the passenger side covered! :doh:

Still doesnt tell us how it comes through the dash really, but will have a look at some point :teeth: