Radiator Fans...please help!

olly3421

I've only had my 350z (54 plate Fairlady, actually) a few months and am already facing a huge bill!

Nissan tell me the engine is overheating because the radiator fans need replacing. They say they can only get them from Japan, that they are going to take weeks and weeks, and will cost 700 quid! Surely this can't be the only way?

They also say that only once this part has been replaced can they be sure that this really is the reason why it's overheating. Sounds like they're clutching at straws a bit, doesn't it? Should I take their diagnosis at face value even?

Your advice much appreciated,

Oh, and the dealer who sold me the car has gone disappeared, so bang goes the warrantee!

Hi bud and welcome to the forum. Sorry your first post couldnt be happer.

As a general rule take everything that a dealer tells you with a pinch of salt, soem know what they are talking about but others dont.

Also, Nissan prices are crazy, even if this is the fix the parts are available a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Others will be along to give you more specific advice. Can you tell us when the overheating starts, as soon as you run or over a period of time.

When does it overheat? The fans will only work in stationary traffic or if the car is sitting still idling somewhere for a period of time, as otherwise there is enough airflow to negate the need for them (they'll possibly kick in on extended track use as well). If it's overheating on normal driving, then I'd suggest the problem may lie elsewhere.

As for £700 fans, since you've got no warranty I'd be finding out the specs of the stock items and shopping the internet for a similar item (as long as the size/air draw/current is the same, there's no reason you can't fit one of those). Where you'd find that spec is a different matter and one I don't know, sorry. :(

And welcome to the forums, just sorry your first post here isn't a happy one!

Bit of general info.

Overheating can be caused by any number of things. It is often the result of coolant loss or a low coolant level, which is turn may be due to leaks in hoses, the radiator or the engine itself. A weak radiator cap that leaks pressure can allow coolant to escape from the system. Not getting the cooling system completely filled after changing the antifreeze can allow steam pockets to form that make the engine overheat or run hot. An electric cooling fan that fails to come on due to a faulty thermostat, relay, wiring or motor may be an overlooked cause of overheating. So too can a slipping fan clutch. Even a missing fan shroud that reduces the fan's effectiveness may be a contributing factor.

Another common cause of overheating is a faulty thermostat. When most thermostats fail, they do so in the closed position preventing the flow of coolant from the engine to the radiator. Replacing the thermostat will obviously solve the problem, but may not prevent the same thing from happening again at some point in the future. So you might want to install a "fail-safe" type of thermostat that still allows some coolant flow in the event of failure.

Less obvious causes of overheating can include a clogged radiator that is filled with sediment as a result of coolant neglect, corrosion or using excessively hard water. Incorrect ignition timing and/or a lean fuel mixture (which may be due to air leaks, low fuel pressure, etc.) can also elevate normal operating temperatures. An exhaust restriction (typically a clogged catalytic converter) can also make the engine work harder causing it to run hot.

As has already been said, if the car is overheating under normal driving conditions, then the problem is likely to lay elsewhere. If it's only doing it when in traffic or after a long period of idling then the fans couls be faulty.

I would take it to an independant auto electrician and and have the fans checked out. It may just be the sender unit.

:welcome: by the way.

Without olly telling us a little more I am tempted to ask if it is something as simple as a fuse so the fans do not cut-in when required?

I am no mechanic but seeing he lives in Surrey I would be happy to help out with a decent garage recommendation in Cheam - if he wants to pm me :thumbs:

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum

Wow, thanks guys. I had never imagined for a second that I'd get such a enthuastic, quick and sympathetic response. Thanks for the welcome!

The car overheated after a 25 minute fast run which was then followed by a 10 minute almost stationary queue to get in to the hospital car park.

When Nissan took it out for a test drive later, they initially could not replicate the problem. I think they then later managed to re-create the symptoms by takng it out for a much longer the next day.

The engine did get seriously hot though: all the liquids were literally boiling when I popped the hood.

Sounds like your suggesting I get it check by an independent mechanic and then order a (perhaps used/perhaps non-nissan) new radiator, if necessary. I've seen a few rads advertised in the states for 350z's - worth considering? Or am I just unnecessarily paying import duties?

Once again, thank for any input at all,

Olly

If it is overheating whilst you are driving on open roads with no stop

/starts, then it will not be the fans.

The initial things to check are the common air lock issues, thermostat and choked radiator.

Have you checked that a poly bag or something has not got lodged in the front of the grill or radiator restricting the air flow, it has been known.

If it turns out to be the radiator or thermostat then I have preowned ones that I can get to you next day.

I also have a complete set of fans and cowling but I do not think that you will require these.

Good luck.

Alex.

Hi Olly,

After talking this through in great depth with you and Mike on the telephone this evening when you informed me that both the fans were also running slow, as you know I came to the conclusion that your over temperature issues are being caused by an earthing issue, probably on the grey male block connector which fits into the black female connector at the fans or if not there at the block connectors underneath the radiator.

Rectifying the earthing issues should solve your over temperature problems and at the same time save you £800 - £1000 which Nissan were going to have off you.

Let me know how you get on.............

The upshot of the help from Alex and (my mate) Mike in particular, and the excellent ideas thrown about by everybody who's been so good as to post their thoughts on the forum is that the problem seems to be solved. Alex has described what was done above (with his direction over the phone) and a problem which Nissan told me would take 4 weeks and almost a grand (inc parts & labour) to fix has been sorted out in a couple of hours. It doesn't seem (judging from dust layers, ect) that Nissan even took the engine bay cover off or disconnected the fans to test - though they were very quick to offer to order an expensive part from Japan, offer to fit it too, and also charge me £70 for their (mis)diagnosis.

Not very impressed!

But thanks ever so much to all of you who've saved me lots of otherwise wasted money and got me mobile again!

Cheers guys!

Glad its sorted Olly.

I suggest that you inform the dealership and Nissan UK that they misdiagnosed the problem and that you will not be using them again and naming and shaming them on the forum. Might get some freebies out of them for the hassle ;)

Glad its sorted Olly.

I suggest that you inform the dealership and Nissan UK that they misdiagnosed the problem and that you will not be using them again and naming and shaming them on the forum. Might get some freebies out of them for the hassle ;)

+1

Well done Alex. That's what these forums are about folks. Meeting great people that help each other out. Just think, if you weren't a member on here you'd be a grand lighter at the minute...... :scare:

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

• 3 years later...

My Z overheated today, boiled the coolant. This thread was really useful. Can anyone recommend an indy garage near St Albans please?

I can't help you with a garage recomendation, however I can certainly help you with the fan motors if replacements are required. :thumbs:

You do realise that this thread is circa 4 years old :lol:

Here is the link to the fan motors:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=48509

In stock and good to go same/next day :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further mate :thumbs:

Alex :)