The nightmare continues

DJsickboy

and frankly, what's the difference anyway

When you are paying top dollar for a new car who wants a recon part on it?

Plus, judging by the experience the majority here in the UK have with the Nissan dealer network, I wouldn't trust most of them to undertake any major work on a Zed. Marshalls may be different but most of them are used to working on Micras and not doing such a great job of that.

A new car should be perfect - that is what you pay for. A repaired car is not a new car in my book, however well repaired it is.

+1. Totally understand though why DJ doesn't want to wait. What a sh1t situation to be in. When you're spending that much you have to expect more that just repair/replace.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***UPDATE***

Just had a call from the dealership....

Nissan UK have never had this problem before..

They are very interested in having the complete box sent to Japan.

I am awaiting conformation that I will get a new box as a replacement.. This is imminent.

Hopefully all will be sorted soon.

Very good Comms from Marshalls service dept.

and frankly, what's the difference anyway

When you are paying top dollar for a new car who wants a recon part on it?

Plus, judging by the experience the majority here in the UK have with the Nissan dealer network, I wouldn't trust most of them to undertake any major work on a Zed. Marshalls may be different but most of them are used to working on Micras and not doing such a great job of that.

A new car should be perfect - that is what you pay for. A repaired car is not a new car in my book, however well repaired it is.

But that's my point - you're taking a huge leap of faith that they would even be considering using a recon'd part. Especially considering it's not a part Nissan offers recon services on, nor do they even recommend. While I agree a new car should be perfect, sometimes things just don't work out that way. In this situation, it sounds like the dealership is doing everything they can to make the situation as right as possible in short order. Replacing a transmission is no big job at all - an experienced tech can literally do it single handely in under and hour - the hardest part is getting the existing trans. separated from the engine (the guide pins can sometimes be sticky). Here in the US it's the same...people hate going to the dealer. But there are good ones and bad ones. Hopefully this has a happy ending for the owner. Personally I would not care if they replaced it with a "used" transmission, or rebuilt unit, or new - but that is just me. As long as it worked properly and any future issues were agreed to be covered by Nissan (at any dealership), I would be fine with it, but I certainly understand and appreciate that everyone has different views on this.

Good luck - hope it gets sorted so you can enjoy your car to the fullest

***UPDATE***

I am awaiting conformation that I will get a new box as a replacement.. This is imminent.

Great news, hope they can get the parts sourced asap for you.

***UPDATE***

Not the first time they have had to change a gearbox ;)

Spotted a car at Magny Cours this year that had just had a new box fitted.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... agny+cours

***UPDATE***

Not the first time they have had to change a gearbox ;)

Spotted a car at Magny Cours this year that had just had a new box fitted.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... agny+cours

Aha.. thanks Beavis.. :thumbs:

hmmm maybe they meant the 07 model gearboxes??

I know the engine is 80% different, was the box re designed also perhaps.

If not then it is no suprise....

Can I step in a play devils advocate for a minute here.

This whine you talk about - do you hear it when accelerating or when off the power. If off the power this is normal for transmissions after 07. You should hear the Mazda Furai when the drive takes his foot off the throttle.

The crunch noise - is that when you initially change gear?

Not trying to say there's nothing wrong with the car. Just want to compare with my own Z experiences.

Can I step in a play devils advocate for a minute here.

This whine you talk about - do you hear it when accelerating or when off the power. If off the power this is normal for transmissions after 07. You should hear the Mazda Furai when the drive takes his foot off the throttle.

The crunch noise - is that when you initially change gear?

Not trying to say there's nothing wrong with the car. Just want to compare with my own Z experiences.

Nope the noise is under load/power in each gear, and First gear was particularly loud and with a destinctive extra grinding plates noise.

The crunch was a one off noise that happened in first gear at about 3k revs accompanied with a one off knock and from that point the noise in first was very very loud, so much so it dominated everything including the exhaust note. accompanied by a burning oil smell.

This led to me pulling over and checking things out visually. (nothing to see but alot of burning oil smell). Then taking it straight to the dealers.

If you have ever been in an old ford with a completely knackered diff you will know the noise I am talking about, but it was worse!!

Hope you manage to get this sorted quick and satisfactory, DJ.

I'd also be inclined to try and reject the car, since it's entirely within your statutory rights and you should expect to purchase 'new', but this is easier in theory than in practice. Car's tend not to be treated like other consumer goods, and it's expected to have a repair rather than complete replacement. Given the cost and low numbers of vehicles such as the Z this is in some ways understandable.

Rejecting it could also mean you are without a Z for a considerable time, and the dealer is unlikely to continue to be helpful. At the moment Marshalls do seem to be doing everything they can, so I really hope it works out.

I would definitely push for a replacement gearbox though, because you never know what could happen further down the line.

Hey ho; things are often never as easy as they should be, are they?

***UPDATE***

Had a call this morning from the dealer, A new gearbox has been authorised by Nissan and the order has been placed.

The box is due to arrive on the 12th Sept and I should have the car back on Tuesday 16th all being well.

Effectively I will have been without the car for two weeks by this point.

I am happy that it is being sorted but very dissapointed and gutted at the whole event.

Nissan UK will get the full force of my dissapointment once I get the car back.

Marshalls to their credit have been very good. Especially the service manager.

Glad to hear its getting sorted.

Well done to Marshals and their New Service manager (think he only joined a few weeks ago) for continued good service and putting most other Nissan Dealers to shame :)

Roll on the 16th so you can get a big smile on your face.

M

I hope you get it all sorted quickly and without any further hassle.

Have you contacted Nissan Customer Services at all? I had ordered my Z last August for delivery 25th October. I arrived at the dealer on the day of delivery to be told that Nissan "forgot to build 6 350zs" :doh: Delivery was then due in November so I delayed it until January. Nissan sent me £300 in dealer vouchers. Not a huge amount but better in my pocket than theirs and it will go towards the first couple of services.

I think you would be entitled to something whether you agree to a fix or a replacement car.

Cheers,

Austin

Have you contacted Nissan Customer Services at all? I had ordered my Z last August for delivery 25th October. I arrived at the dealer on the day of delivery to be told that Nissan "forgot to build 6 350zs" :doh: Delivery was then due in November so I delayed it until January. Nissan sent me £300 in dealer vouchers. Not a huge amount but better in my pocket than theirs and it will go towards the first couple of services.

I think you would be entitled to something whether you agree to a fix or a replacement car.

Cheers,

Austin

Funny you should mention that.... :)

Dominic the Service manager of Marshalls called Nissan customer services to express his view that they should be Pro active and call me because of the issues..!!

How about that? A dealer willing to help without a prompt!!... Well impressed..... :thumbs:

Nissan have called me with a tolken offering but I think given the circumstances they can do better... :dry:

I shall let you know what is agreed once it is finalised.

Really impressive stuff from Dominic at Marshalls... Just when I started to think that customer service was dead in the U.K car trade.

Cheers,

Austin

Funny you should mention that.... :)

Dominic the Service manager of Marshalls called Nissan customer services to express his view that they should be Pro active and call me because of the issues..!!

How about that? A dealer willing to help without a prompt!!... Well impressed..... :thumbs:

Nissan have called me with a tolken offering but I think given the circumstances they can do better... :dry:

Really impressive stuff from Dominic at Marshalls... Just when I started to think that customer service was dead in the U.K car trade.

Good stuff. Just don't expect too much from Nissan CS.

Nissan have called me with a token offering but I think given the circumstances they can do better... :dry:

Very pleased to hear it's being sorted for you. Top response from your dealer. :) Please clone your dealer and send them everywhere, I'm sure the rest of us would be appreciative!

***Update***

So today I collect the Z with a new box, a whole 5 days earlier than expected :yahoo::yahoo:

Dominic at Marshalls called yesterday morning to say that the box had arrived early and he was fitting it as we spoke!!

All sorted apparently so I pick it up this morning :teeth:

I cant wait, I am almost as exited as I was when I first picked it up.

Nissan CS have not got back to me yet.... I mentioned this to Dominic yesterday and he has offered to take that up with them from his end.

Much faith restored so far and Marshalls and especially Dominic the Service manager have been awsome.

As Martin says, I think I have been lucky that it is them and not another one of the dealer network.

All said and done they have tried very hard. And I is happy again.

Lets see what Nissan CS will do by way of compensation.

Pics will be posted of my ride later.

:teeth::teeth::teeth:

***Update***

So today I collect the Z with a new box, a whole 5 days earlier than expected :yahoo::yahoo:

Dominic at Marshalls called yesterday morning to say that the box had arrived early and he was fitting it as we spoke!!

All sorted apparently so I pick it up this morning :teeth:

I cant wait, I am almost as exited as I was when I first picked it up.

Nissan CS have not got back to me yet.... I mentioned this to Dominic yesterday and he has offered to take that up with them from his end.

Much faith restored so far and Marshalls and especially Dominic the Service manager have been awsome.

As Martin says, I think I have been lucky that it is them and not another one of the dealer network.

All said and done they have tried very hard. And I is happy again.

Lets see what Nissan CS will do by way of compensation.

Pics will be posted of my ride later.

:teeth::teeth::teeth:

Delighted for you. Hope this is the end of your problems and you can start enjoying the ride! :thumbs: