Auto V Manual

sake-bito

OK,

i'm trying to get a zed. My last RWD car was a 200 SX with 350+ BHP and i really didn't enjoy it too much as it was a handfull in the wet etc.

Now i want to return to to a RWD but purely for looks and the noise of the V6. The car i have the now is a DC5 so i'm not getting the 350 for the speed etc

Idealy i want a manual but there is a lot of auto triptronics out there. Whats peoples opinion on the auto box?? if it rubbish? My dads FTO was pretty crap.

Just a little info to help me choose the best car.

Also, i was pretty crap at trying to drift so i won't be doing that with the 350! :scare: LOL

STOO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Zed is very managable in the wet with the right tyres.

The auto box is apparently very good. It's tiptronic as you know so you can have a bit of involvement. It is meant to be smooth on the changes.

I haven't driven one (I wouldn't consider one personally) so can't compare to the manual.

The Zed is very managable in the wet with the right tyres.

The auto box is apparently very good. It's tiptronic as you know so you can have a bit of involvement. It is meant to be smooth on the changes.

I haven't driven one (I wouldn't consider one personally) so can't compare to the manual.

+1. I find that I have to be pushing really hard in the wet to get any sort of kick from the rear, but I am a wimp and keep the tcs on :blush:

Exact reason why I wont turn it off :scare:

I owned a tiptronic car a few years back, its great when stuck in traffic but I never found it that fun to drive. The novelty of paddleshift wore off in about 6months & i craved a manual car again

hi, i also came from DC5 territory and the zed is a totally different beast and just as fast, i did however top my DC5 out at 160mph and the zed hasnt managed that yet...oh well i'll keep trying B)

Paul

Picture108.jpg

NICE!! i still don't think on a twisty road that a 350 will keep anywhere near a teg! you just need to check out all of the videos on you tube

STOO

Driven both the auto and manual.

Personally, I'd never get the auto, this is a sports car and it needs to be a proper manual. You can feel the torque more, juyst feels 10x better IMO.

Even tho I dont like the auso on the Z, I actually like the SMG on the E46 M3, so not completely against anything non manual

I think the tiptronic in the Zed is brilliant. Especially when using it as an every day car, far better than a manual in traffic etc. The only time I wish it was manual is when i'm giving it large on country lanes, is nice to tap the clutch and drop a gear!

Also I was at the wales Zed run this year and IMHO my tiptronic was no slower than the manuals!

But true, with the torque converter it will never feel as engaged as a manual!

if you leave the traction control on then you'll have no problems in the wet,

Not true, I'm afraid. The TCS is a driver aid not a failsafe. It will save you from most indiscretions in the wet but it can't change the laws of physics and several people have lost the rear with it on. It particularly seems to be a problem with people joining fast sliproads and getting the power on too early or hard.

Hi sake-bito, I've driven 16 350z's, and been a passenger in more. Both manual and auto. Honestly you don't sacrifice much having an auto. I'll normally blitz the manual guys off the line in either manual or auto mode, and my braking points are similar to manuals, that's purely driving style, being reasonably aggressive, and driver experience. In terms of drivetrain loss, only marginally more than a manual. The transmission is very smooth, and responsive, everyone comments on it. In extremely heavy traffic being able to switch it into auto mode is a leg saver. If you drive mostly in auto mode of course you'll use a bit more brake pad, but not hugely so.

When I first got my Zed 4.4 years ago, I was driving in extremely heavy rush hour traffic and traversing the city all day in heavy traffic, it saved my sanity.

Hi sake-bito, I've driven 16 350z's, and been a passenger in more. Both manual and auto. Honestly you don't sacrifice much having an auto. I'll normally blitz the manual guys off the line in either manual or auto mode, and my braking points are similar to manuals, that's purely driving style, being reasonably aggressive, and driver experience. In terms of drivetrain loss, only marginally more than a manual. The transmission is very smooth, and responsive, everyone comments on it. In extremely heavy traffic being able to switch it into auto mode is a leg saver. If you drive mostly in auto mode of course you'll use a bit more brake pad, but not hugely so.

When I first got my Zed 4.4 years ago, I was driving in extremely heavy rush hour traffic and traversing the city all day in heavy traffic, it saved my sanity.

+1 on all counts. :thumbs:

OK,

i'm trying to get a zed. My last RWD car was a 200 SX with 350+ BHP and i really didn't enjoy it too much as it was a handfull in the wet etc.

Now i want to return to to a RWD but purely for looks and the noise of the V6. The car i have the now is a DC5 so i'm not getting the 350 for the speed etc

You want RWD for the looks and the V6?:headhurt: I take it you mean that you want a nice looking car and engine and that forces you to have a RWD car?

Also, i was pretty crap at trying to drift so i won't be doing that with the 350! :scare: LOL

My advice would be to spend £1k less on the car (whatever it is) and £1k on driver training. A two day course on limit handling would give you much more confidence in a RWD chassis. Not extra confidence to drive everywhere flat out on the road, but to understand how to best balance the car in the wet so that you don't get caught out with momentum oversteer.

The 350z is quite a heavy car so if you're not careful all that weight can easily push you off the road when you've lifted off on a bend for example. A limit handling course would teach you how to brake in a straight line before the corner to get the correct speed before turning the wheel, then using a small amount of throttle to balance the car though the corner and then gently squeezing it on on the way out.

Anyway, I'm jabbering now - get a RWD because it's RWD and enjoy it! :)