tiptronic

red or zed

you could always add this

Go on then Phil, how much for this?!

I bet it wouldn't be that difficult to produce/install something like this... piece of plastic with switches tapped into the existing tiptronic switches. Afternoon job... :teeth:

I don't like how the paddles rotate when the steering wheel is turned, could get very confusing if attempting to shift mid turn............... :blush:
Why would you change gear mid turn? But i do agree, it would be best to have this fixed :thumbs:

Sweet mod though :thumbs:

I think I would want a faster shift than that if possible. There is quite a delay between activation and gear change.

Its exactly the same delay as with the existing tiptronic system - its just that the activation switch has been relocated! I agree that it is slow, but this isnt a result of the paddles.

The only reason i'd want the paddle shifts is to save on fuel really - i often just want to get in top gear asap, instead of climbing through the revs all the time wasting fuel. The only way to do this is using the tiptronic - but i cant be bothered moving my arm over to the side to do it (i know, how lazy!!) - but if i had the paddles i'd be happy...!!

I think I would want a faster shift than that if possible. There is quite a delay between activation and gear change.

Its exactly the same delay as with the existing tiptronic system - its just that the activation switch has been relocated! I agree that it is slow, but this isnt a result of the paddles.

The only reason i'd want the paddle shifts is to save on fuel really - i often just want to get in top gear asap, instead of climbing through the revs all the time wasting fuel. The only way to do this is using the tiptronic - but i cant be bothered moving my arm over to the side to do it (i know, how lazy!!) - but if i had the paddles i'd be happy...!!

But then you'd actually have to like... pull the paddles! Think how much energy that would use! :lol::lol::lol:

Looks good actually.

• 1 month later...
What put me off was needing an aftermarket steering wheel... i think the kit is like £350, but then getting a wheel etc etc... i cant be bothered!

Well correct me if I've misunderstood, but from what I can see here there is a version specifically for the OEM wheel and better still it's the cheapest of all the kits:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=350z&cat=interior&prodid=2835

Seems to me it's roughly £200 plus shipping plus fittting (which they say is easy).

Have I missed something?!

What put me off was needing an aftermarket steering wheel... i think the kit is like £350, but then getting a wheel etc etc... i cant be bothered!

Well correct me if I've misunderstood, but from what I can see here there is a version specifically for the OEM wheel and better still it's the cheapest of all the kits:

Seems to me it's roughly £200 plus shipping plus fittting (which they say is easy).

Hmm... that wasn't on there when i looked at this last month - it specifically said for aftermarket wheels only. But still, we'd be looking at £230 for the part... plus what, £50 shipping + customs, and then maybe another £100 to fit it? (i've never swapped a steering wheel before - not something i fancy with airbags etc!). Thats an expensive toy...

But it'd be great if you go for it... i would love to see it in action!

That OEM one looks really cool! Surely there's gotta be somewhere/someone in the Uk with one!?

Also i read http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?i ... id=3731428 and someone mentions getting the valve body upgraded for faster shifting? Does anyone know if that would work - id be interested in shift speed mods even without the paddles!

Ok making some progress - I've been emailing Works Bell in Japan and here is their latest response:

We have two kinds of Paddle Shifters. One is Paddle Shifter NEO which is used for sports steering wheel. The other is Column Shifter which is used for standard/OEM steering wheel. Therefore, I think you are looking for the Colunm Shifter.

Please refer to the picture of Paddle Shifter NEO from this page

http://worksbell.co.jp/en/products/boss/paddle_neo.htm

Also, please refer to the picture of Column Shifter from this page

http://worksbell.co.jp/en/products/boss/column_shifter.htm

The price of Paddle Shifter NEO is JPY46,800

The price of Column Shifter is JPY36,800

JPY36,800 is £173 and they have quoted 2,800 shipping to UK which is £13, so just VAT and import duty(?) left to pay which won't be that much. So just a touch over £200 which isn't bad at all. Just not sure how easy / difficult it is to fit.

Think I am going to order one! :teeth:

• 2 months later...