tiptronic

red or zed

Guys,

Can anybody give me any more info on the tiptronic 'box on the JDMs?

Are they manually overridden with the use of paddles on the wheel or by nudging the gearlever? I have never owned or driven an auto, only ever manuals so i have not but the first idea of what they are like!

I do love my manuals, but i could be swayed by a good autobox esp if it has some paddles to use to change cogs...

Oh and Stuey, if you fancy meeting up to show me yours ;) ...

:thumbs:

Hey mate the jdm auto is pretty good actually the normal things ie park, drive neural, reverse bla bla but when you are driving you can slip the gear stick to the left which then allows you change gears. So if your feeling like a bit of fun this is perfect and the gear changes are fairly responsive! I love mine, hope this helps

Nope by the gear stick itself! when you put into drive you can either leave it there and will act like a normal auto or slip it to the left which u then control b moving the gear stick up or down! No flappy paddles lol

Never had a shot of a zed manual no! But my big bro zedrush is gonna give me a shot when am in london lol! Yeh you can drop it down a gear aswell mate. To be honest i hardly ever use the triptronic part, unless i want to burn some one lol

awww, do you know, i was getting all excited about the fact it might have some paddles! :lol:

i think im just going to have to have a go in one and decide for myself. I must admit to being a bit of a manual fan, but only through non exposure to autos!

thanks Jay

awww, do you know, i was getting all excited about the fact it might have some paddles! :lol:

i think im just going to have to have a go in one and decide for myself. I must admit to being a bit of a manual fan, but only through non exposure to autos!

thanks Jay

Learning to get used to an auto. tie left leg to seat. Its scary when you need to go for a quick slow down and hit the left " clutch" pedal out of habit. Face hard to windscreen :surrender:

thanks Jay

No worries buddy anything else ya wanna kno about them ask away al do my best do help ya out! All i will say is my friend had a manual zed for the whole of 2 months lol but the manula is not any faster lol, in a drag (private road ofcourse) :lol:

But as martin said, you really need to strap your left leg to somethin lol otherwise it will just get in the way :lol::lol::lol:

Learning to get used to an auto. tie left leg to seat. Its scary when you need to go for a quick slow down and hit the left " clutch" pedal out of habit. Face hard to windscreen :surrender:

I've done that before. The first and only time I had an auto courtesy car I was driving down the M4 and decided to pop it into 6th....

Couple of seconds of me wondering what the hell was going on as I decelerated from.. erm 70... ;) to 0 rather quickly.

Luckily nobody was behind me.

I've got the tip and i have to say i love it.

I'd never driven an auto before but as this is my daily driver and i sit in a lot of traffic, i decided to get one.

It takes about 2 weeks to get used to - when i was really going for it i used to keep pressing the imaginary clutch, but also hitting the gear lever trying to change gear :scare:

As for responsiveness - under normal driving its excellent, but if im overtaking someone, i'll use the manual override and drop down to third, to power past the car infront. If you dont do this - it takes about 1 second from you putting your foot down until you get the power - which is a bit scary when you pull out and then have to wait for the power!

However, can anyone answer me this - i want to go on track later this year - will this be okay with the auto??

As for responsiveness - under normal driving its excellent, but if im overtaking someone, i'll use the manual override and drop down to third, to power past the car infront. If you dont do this - it takes about 1 second from you putting your foot down until you get the power - which is a bit scary when you pull out and then have to wait for the power!

im used to that mate in my ST....its called turbo lag! :lol:

auto tip is the best thing ever............. why ponce about changin gear when it can all be done for you......... :)

and sure red or zed............ your welcome to try mine :thumbs:

Borrow it for a week and pop up to the lakes Matt :D

oi....................... steadyyyyyyy............................. :lol:

auto tip is the best thing ever............. why ponce about changin gear when it can all be done for you......... :)

HAHAH that sounds like my cousin, i said he could take it for a spin, then some how he got it into his mind that i meant take it for the bloody weekend! CHANCER :lol:

HAHAH that sounds like my cousin, i said he could take it for a spin, then some how he got it into his mind that i meant take it for the bloody weekend! CHANCER :lol:

Did your car come back painted black and with red seats ? ;)

I've driven both auto and manual zeds. The auto is very good as up and down shifts are seamless meaning the revs stay high whilst changing. But it felt to me like I had lost some of the feeling of driving a car, and was a bit like driving a car in an arcade game if you catch my drift. With the manual you feel in full control of the car and get to know the cars limits e.g how it sounds when you need to change up etc. Its a lot more involving to have the manual. :)

I think Sarnie has hit it on the head - with a manual you always feel that little bit more in control of a car. However, my decision to go for the tiptronic was based on the fact that I have had a back problem which was exacerbated by using a heavy clutch. That problem has disappeared since I got the tiptronic box and I have to say that most of the time I don't really miss the manual, especially when crawling through busy traffic!

In tiptronic mode the changes up and down are very fast and smooth. :thumbs: