Should I consider the 350z given their age?

Currently keeping an eye out on a potential next daily. My ideal car would be something lightweight rwd & lsd since I like the agility. There doesn't seem to be alot of options except the mx5 or the MR2 which I would need a hardtop as a strict preference. One potential could be a n52 BMW and get an aftermarket lsd.

But I prefer the 350z in the sense that it is a sports car vs the BMW being more of luxury cruiser. At the moment, my budget would be enough for a 350z and not the 370z. All depending on my current car, I can wait to get the 370z instead which is the logical move.

What I wanted to know is rust something that can be lived with i.e as long as the corrosion has been dealt accordingly/ welded it should be good etc or would I be wasting my time and money given the nature of how rust spreads? I think because cars are inevitbly are a consumable might as well get the one you like and do what you can with it?

If you want something cheap and cheerful, go for the MX5. The 350z and BMW are going to get expensive in the sense of running costs. Fuel and yearly tax are expensive and parts are wayyyyy easier to get for an MX5 for pretty much peanuts. 

For a cheap daily, the MX5 is your best bet. If you're willing to spend £££ on running costs, the 350z and BMW are good contenders.

You could compromise and get a cheap MX5 to run about in, then a project 350z or bimmer to fix up over a year or two as a little weekend car :teeth:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coz@TORQEN said:

If you want something cheap and cheerful, go for the MX5. The 350z and BMW are going to get expensive in the sense of running costs. Fuel and yearly tax are expensive and parts are wayyyyy easier to get for an MX5 for pretty much peanuts. 

For a cheap daily, the MX5 is your best bet. If you're willing to spend £££ on running costs, the 350z and BMW are good contenders.

You could compromise and get a cheap MX5 to run about in, then a project 350z or bimmer to fix up over a year or two as a little weekend car :teeth:

I agree on the running cost. It will be expensive on consumables and their weight doesn't help either. To be fair on the BMW, the mpg is similar to the celica i currently have so I can live with that, but id definitely would have to get one where the common issues have been resolved recently since BMW parts are expensive.

Main thing is whether it would be worth getting them knowing the 350zs are rusty now and if itd be worth keeping it with the intention of possibly getting them welded etc is what Im trying to find out, since the same story could be said for the MX5s.  If I keep it and I know I will plan on getting them welded etc, is it worth doing that is the question im trying to ask.  I am considering the NC models but they seem to be the worst when it comes to rust. I'd definitely would get the PHRT since I feel exposed with the softop.

I would love to compromise but I dont really have the space to do this unfortunately.

An old 350Z will be just like any other ageing vehicle - paying a low price for the car itself, but having to accept that it will cost money to keep it on the road. If you do go for one, at least you'll have something different to the mainstream if that matters to you. 

You also need to be aware the  year the zed is will determine the cost of tax which isn’t cheap and like any car check the cost for you to insure it and have enough money to run and maintain it too. Lots have come and gone and moaned in the process because they didn’t check all these factors first..

Edited by Payco

2 hours ago, StormtrooperZ said:

350z and BMW are definitely more GT cruiser than lightweight sports cars. My vote would be a well sorted mx5 or mr2 mk3 as a daily. And as above, maybe a 350 project for weekends if you can run them both. 

Could be on the look out for an MX5 in that case. The MR2 will be a challenging to look for given id need to get 2004+ year ones to avoid the issues of having oval shaped bores as well as a hardtop where they go for £1k minimum alone.

The MX5 is more forgiving too and would be better suited to learn drifting to perhaps.

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

An old 350Z will be just like any other ageing vehicle - paying a low price for the car itself, but having to accept that it will cost money to keep it on the road. If you do go for one, at least you'll have something different to the mainstream if that matters to you. 

I'm just looking for something rwd with lsd to have that experience to be honest. Other than the newer 86, 370z or the mx5. I'm not sure if waiting for them might be the better choice.

2 hours ago, Payco said:

You also need to be aware the  year the zed is will determine the cost of tax which isn’t cheap and like any car check the cost for you to insure it and have enough money to run and maintain it too. Lots have come and gone and moaned in the process because they didn’t check all these factors first..

The highest afaik is around 630? Main thing will be the insurance since Im in a weird spot. I know the fuel economy is going to be worse. Might be better off waiting in the meantime I guess.

1 minute ago, seiryu said:

The highest afaik is around 630? Main thing will be the insurance since Im in a weird spot. I know the fuel economy is going to be worse. Might be better off waiting in the meantime I guess.

Yeah, road tax around the £600 mark - totally nuts but it's all about persuading people to drive newer vehicles, where most cars sit at £180, the same as my Z which is in the 2017 sweet spot.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Yeah, road tax around the £600 mark - totally nuts but it's all about persuading people to drive newer vehicles, where most cars sit at £180, the same as my Z which is in the 2017 sweet spot.

I've seen a Nismo 370z and it looks pretty nice, it was also pretty low too. Im paying £300 for my celica which is alot comparing to newer cars lol.

Reason I'm kind of looking around is because my MOT is due soon, and I'm not sure how the celica will fare and thought it might be an opportunity for me to look around if I decide to not keep it.  I think I might lean on an hot/warm modern hatch in the meantime and save up for a Z34 or an GT86. 

I did/am still consdiering the MX5 but mazdas has a particular reputation for not being generous with rustproofing (so it might be cheap mechanically but body wise, is just as expensive as maintaing any rotten car which kind of defeats the point of a cheap sports car,but i guess thats the reason why you can find them for relatively cheap for their market segment). For example, I could be looking at a 2010 model and it might last me a year or two based on their corrosion and given how much they go for, might not be a good idea?

Edited by seiryu
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, seiryu said:

Are the issues due to oil starvation?

I'm not knocking the engine. I think the oil starvation issue was exaggerated.

I'm rebuilding one now (rod knock issue) and the engine parts are a **** to get hold off.

With hindsight I would've got the previous DE or the following HR version where it's much easier to get parts.

• Like 1

Ideally best to have a drive of a few different cars and see which you like. For context a 5dr DSG mk7 Golf R is 1575kg. 350z is 1545kg and don't often here folks call the golf a 'heavy car'. 

Enjoy the car hunting 😁

• Like 1

Get a DE 2003-2005...like i did Less road tax and plenty low down torque. Cheaper on Insurance too. Only issue i had was starter motor and arch rust. 

Or you can go for the 370Z 2012 on wards. No issues with reliability as such over 2 years. 

13 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Ideally best to have a drive of a few different cars and see which you like. For context a 5dr DSG mk7 Golf R is 1575kg. 350z is 1545kg and don't often here folks call the golf a 'heavy car'. 

Enjoy the car hunting 😁

Just "hot hatch". Turbos are deceiving....It feels nimble. Its all the computing and Turbo boosting being done. 

47 minutes ago, seiryu said:

Are the issues due to oil starvation?

It's been said that the revup engines typically have oil issues, but I haven't in the time I've had it for. If you do decide to get a 350z just make sure it's been looked after regardless of it's spec, and you should be good. 

59 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Enjoy the car hunting 😁

The R is insanely heavy for a hatch, any of the quattro vags pretty much are. I mean look at the TT! That's not to say they're bad cars. Just not really my taste. I prefer a GTi than any of their haldex. 

And thank you!

1 hour ago, Cosmic73 said:

I'm not knocking the engine. I think the oil starvation issue was exaggerated.

I'm rebuilding one now (rod knock issue) and the engine parts are a **** to get hold off.

With hindsight I would've got the previous DE or the following HR version where it's much easier to get parts.

So the z33 got the DE, DE rev up and the HR? I'll have a look around the forum to get more info. My impression is that the VQs in general are reliable and can take abuse well at least much better than the boxers. Obviosuly just checking the oil pressure and temp and levels too.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Get a DE 2003-2005...like i did Less road tax and plenty low down torque. Cheaper on Insurance too. Only issue i had was starter motor and arch rust. 

Or you can go for the 370Z 2012 on wards. No issues with reliability as such over 2 years. 

Just "hot hatch". Turbos are deceiving....It feels nimble. Its all the computing and Turbo boosting being done. 

Just out of curiousity how much did it cost for you to sort out the arch rust? Is it your daily? I found a few for sale in my area but one of them has a underside corrosion ont he MOT and the other its not shown on the MOT reports. Both are DE models too. THey're going for ~ £5k.

I've been in an S3 and they do feel plenty quick, but I've also been in a 1.8 BAM is something different.

52 minutes ago, MONKEYSOCKS said:

It's been said that the revup engines typically have oil issues, but I haven't in the time I've had it for. If you do decide to get a 350z just make sure it's been looked after regardless of it's spec, and you should be good. 

Thank you. Just making sure its got a decent history. As long as its not anywhere near as sensitives as a boxer, it should be fine I suppose.

I'm very new to the zed world, bought my first only 2 weeks ago. I did a bucket load of research into reliability, running/maintenance costs and general issues - a lot of it mentioned in this thread.

I ended up with a 60k miles 2004 DE for £9.5k. It's got some bits needing doing, mainly a tiny bit of paint herpes on one arch and a wheel refurb but that's really about it. Tax is £350 and insurance is £340, which surprised me entirely - cheaper than my 06 VRS Fabia. Most expensive part is fuel but that's a me thing 😂 

On 23/01/2024 at 19:55, seiryu said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

On 23/01/2024 at 22:21, seiryu said:

Just out of curiousity how much did it cost for you to sort out the arch rust? Is it your daily? I found a few for sale in my area but one of them has a underside corrosion ont he MOT and the other its not shown on the MOT reports. Both are DE models too. THey're going for ~ £5k.

I've been in an S3 and they do feel plenty quick, but I've also been in a 1.8 BAM is something different.

This was a while back years ago. I didn't go through with it as the body shop was more interested in insurance jobs.... I'm assuming it was going to be couple hundreds for arches. Nowadays it's more. They cut it and weld new metal apply filler and spray. Underside is doable and will also cost a few hundred. I'd budget just about a grand to fix both. Then shop around. 

It's doable.