Headlight clean/polish

Matay20

Noticed my headlights were starting to tint a little so got a turtle wax headlight cleaning kit and after an hours rubbing and polishing they came up nice.

Needed the sandpaper block so if you get some just use it as it will be better anyway.

Was a bit worried initially as the headlights go very dull after the sandpaper blocks are used but the paste then cuts through and gives a clear bright finish.

I’m no fanatic and rarely clean my other cars so I can confirm this is fairly straightforward for anyway with some patience.

87A80845-90BA-4B51-8B9D-4A8B6F2E3EC0.png

4749265C-DBCE-40C0-911A-5EDD8A98C16B.png

• Like 1

The Turtlewax Headlight Restoration kit is my favourite.

Those little sanding pads are just nice and really cut through the oxidation layer.

Even the sealant wipes lasted longer than the Meguiars aerosol lacquer sealant that I tried.

Definitely with the £12 or so from Amazon as your photos prove:thumbs:

• 8 months later...
9 hours ago, SW66TTT said:

Great review, mine badly need doing so will get the Turtlewax kit :) 

The TW kit will polish them up quick and easy.

BUT

No sealant will last more than a few months  of direct summer sun!!!!!!

I've used the TW sealant twice 

Gtechniq Ceramic  sealant  about 4 times.

Meguiars spray laque6 sealant once.

ALL FAILED to last a year.

HOWEVER 

I used clear vinyl headlight wrap 10 months ago after polishing and it's still 100% crystal clear.

@davey_83 has had his wrapped nearly  3 years and still look crisp.

Unless you going  to spray with 2k lacquer afterwards, wrapping is definitely the way to go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

The TW kit will polish them up quick and easy.

BUT

No sealant will last more than a few months  of direct summer sun!!!!!!

I've used the TW sealant twice 

Gtechniq Ceramic  sealant  about 4 times.

Meguiars spray laque6 sealant once.

ALL FAILED to last a year.

HOWEVER 

I used clear vinyl headlight wrap 10 months ago after polishing and it's still 100% crystal clear.

@davey_83 has had his wrapped nearly  3 years and still look crisp.

Unless you going  to spray with 2k lacquer afterwards, wrapping is definitely the way to go

Thats great Thanks for the advice

• 3 months later...

Bit late to the party here, but on the subject of headlight restoration I was told a few weeks back that Solvol Autosol metal polish works a treat. My Z's headlights don't need it, but our Aygo did - it was getting misty around the edges so I thought I'd try it out.

Result? A pretty much perfect restoration, topped off with some 303 for future protection.     

Two blazing hot summers and my wrapped headlights haven't oxidised at all after their last correction.

Spoke to many members now who get amazing results after polishing only to be disheartened after a year as it hazes back.

@veeg33had a few years success getting a shop to respray clearcoat on but even this started to fail after a few years.

If you plan on keeping the zed for any length of time........ DON'T do what I did for 5 years and try different sealants or ceramic coatings.

WRAP FOR THE WIN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

Two blazing hot summers and my wrapped headlights haven't oxidised at all after their last correction.

Spoke to many members now who get amazing results after polishing only to be disheartened after a year as it hazes back.

@veeg33had a few years success getting a shop to respray clearcoat on but even this started to fail after a few years.

If you plan on keeping the zed for any length of time........ DON'T do what I did for 5 years and try different sealants or ceramic coatings.

WRAP FOR THE WIN

I might talk to the guys who wrapped my roof about this. Is it a particular type of clear film for headlight lenses?

I bought these as recommended by @davey_83.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252659046182

One sheet easily covers one headlight but not quite enough to do both.

I struggled doing it myself and would have preferred to have someone help heat it with the heatgun as I stretched it over the curved headlights but that's maybe just me being a novice.

• Like 2