Coilover socks

davey_83

So recently installed coilovers and wanted to see if anyone has or previously used coilovers socks? How did you find them any adverse effects, did they do what you wanted them to?

Would they somehow affect the suspension operation. With suspension being in the wheel wells, they live in a pretty harsh environment so other than routine cleaning I was thinking of other options.

I actually had to google those :lol: think of them as an expendable item you replace once a year rather than cleaning them given the price, and then think about all the crap they’ll keep off your suspension. 

And then think about all the rust-causing moisture they’ll trap inside them in the meantime, lovingly working it’s magic on all that shiny metal and realise there’s a reason very few people actually bother. On a show car that does 100miles a year tops maybe, on anything else I wouldn’t bother. Just clean the suspension more often. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Ekona said:

And if they’re breathable they’ll let dirt through. Can’t have it both ways, so even if they have tiny air holes that’s enough to trap some kind of moisture. 

As a hypothesis you might be right, hopefully someone might pop up having actually used a set or I might have to take another brave pill to find out.

33 minutes ago, Ry-B said:

I gave my coilovers a good soaking in ACF50 when I put them in, obviously won't keep them clean but should stop them rusting

Yes ACF50 is the one, amazing stuff and always well received. 

Can't remember the make of the ones I bought but they're like a fake leather material. I think an American brand via Demon Tweeks. Velcro on the ends, wraps around. I have cut the tapered bottoms off of the ones I have and then just zip tie the bottom secure.

Absolutely essential for coilovers in the UK IMO. Zero downsides.

• Like 1

I take them off and clean them every now and then - suspension underneath is spotless.

Before I had them, all manner of grime and surface rust occurred in the threads. Spent about 14 hours un-seizing them last year in lockdown. They were only 18 months old from new and covered about 10,000 miles.

When I un-seized them last year I added a bit of copper ease on the threads and wound the collars up and down the length freely to spread it evenly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, msitpro said:

I take them off and clean them every now and then - suspension underneath is spotless.

Before I had them, all manner of grime and surface rust occurred in the threads. Spent about 14 hours un-seizing them last year in lockdown. They were only 18 months old from new and covered about 10,000 miles.

When I un-seized them last year I added a bit of copper ease on the threads and wound the collars up and down the length freely to spread it evenly.

That's what I was after, actual user experience rather than guesswork. I'll order some now to use as keen to protect these rare puppies. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194164143635

Sales blurb

These are just amazing. A worthwhile investment for just £35 delivered you can protect your new Coilovers from rain, saltwater, dirt and grime. Adding much more in value when it comes to selling them plus allows for quick and easy adjustment when you have no seized parts!

A NO BRAINER REALLY!

Features:

• Ripstop strong yet lightweight material

• Elasticated Top and Bottom for a nice snug fit.

• Heavy duty wide Velcro fastening.

• Waterproof, Dirt proof and yet still breathable.

• Protects Coilovers from rust, road debris, dirt and saltwater

Don’t mistake these for the inferior quality neoprene wet suit type material that lets water through.

Cheers again fella 

• Like 1

Those look/sound good, and great value as well. 

Just looked back at exactly what mine are -

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/kirkey-coilover-cover-244240/

Black, small. £43 per pair.

"Manufactured from vinyl, providing a wipe clean finish which protects coilovers from dirt and debris without interrupting performance."

It's true - wipe clean - I just wash them in the sink with washing up liquid etc. They don't have any logos on like the picture, and I cut the tapered ends off the bottom and just cut and then put a new zip tie on the end at the lower end each time I re-fit them.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kev T said:

This is similar to what i have fitted and they do a sterling job of keeping everything clean, I think they were called shock socks.

Nice one pal.

How long have you had yours installed for?

• 1 year later...