Yet another option to kill off motoring - the Dystopian thread

stanski

15 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Alternatively, what would be the point in pushing for automated taxis if most people who used to commute now work from home? If that continues, then the desire will be a lot less for companies to bother with. 

Mass automated motoring is an awful long way off. It’ll only take a couple of software glitches and big accidents to set it back years while safety is reassessed, which will likely happen when the first big push comes. That’s inevitable. 

Exactly this is the wonder of a pandemic it has forced companies and us to reconsider how we work in the future.

For me personally I always had to be on-site even though I could work from home for years, but that was down to micromanagers being paranoid and controlling. Funny they trust you in the office to be responsible for multimillion pound systems but not from home, even though you are 'on-call' from home for those systems anyway! A lot of companies were reluctant to let their staff work from home even more reluctant to spend a fortune on old network infrastructure to allow home working. 

We see in the press how people are apparently running away from Central London to live by the sea or the countryside, the very places that have been neglected both in infrastructure or jobs investment? It has crossed our minds to move somewhere we always wanted to. I can I have no ties anymore but my other half cant and of course my daughter is in primary school so not such an easy thing?

I am wondering if they implement that hydro loop thing for real, when the first time that goes splatt will it end up being a white concrete elephant?

• stanski changed the title to Yet another option to kill off moto

I think the main barrier to WFH is the loud shouting of those who think people can't be trusted to do so. And I would add that, in my opinion, the ones who complain the loudest are the very ones who can't be trusted.

My eldest who works in Melbourne, has been working from home since March. He's now considering moving to somewhere warmer, perhaps Brisbane, and commuting by plane when office visits for meetings are required. He's actually proposed this to his employer so it's not pie in the sky.

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

I think the main barrier to WFH is the loud shouting of those who think people can't be trusted to do so. And I would add that, in my opinion. the ones who complain the loudest are the very ones who can't be trusted.

My eldest who works in Melbourne, has been working from home since March. He's now considering moving to somewhere warmer, perhaps Brisbane, and commuting by plane when office visits for meetings are required. He's actually proposed this to his employer so it's not pie in the sky.

Sounds like the aussies actually trust their staff! As long as the work is done and you are available when someone calls you, who cares where you are, maybe not the loo of course! 

• Haha 1

• stanski changed the title to Yet another option to kill off motoring - the Dystopian thread
On 26/11/2020 at 09:39, stanski said:

I think I should rename this thread - The Dystopian Future thread! :lol: 

I cannot wait to play the future.....Digital version of-course :)

50656011252_dae21a0c2b_b.jpg

Though what would be really nuts would be running it a self driving car via LTE, after all Netflix works fine so why not Stadia, and watching Charlie & Lola isn't exactly fitting in the the dystopian theme :lol:.

50634899852_b528a7b6fa_b.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gangzoom said:

I cannot wait to play the future.....Digital version of-course :)

50656011252_dae21a0c2b_b.jpg

Though what would be really nuts would be running it a self driving car via LTE, after all Netflix works fine so why not Stadia, and watching Charlie & Lola isn't exactly fitting in the the dystopian theme :lol:.

50634899852_b528a7b6fa_b.jpg

I don't mind Charlie and Lola but I prefer Ben and Hollies little kingdom that was a bit more hard core. 

We are not yet in the Dystopian future but still in the ' wtf who voted for these blood thirsty or stupid clowns with fingers on nuclear buttons period?'

Where celebs are regarded higher than the Muppets in charge.

No disrespect to the genuine Muppets who live on Sesame street, they have my total respect!! B)

23 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Fab that's me all over. You know older EV conversations were just fork lift motors and the boggo lead acid batteries. No fancy Tesla motors with expensive powerful magnets.  I mentioned a while back you can get a kit for my air-cooled beetle and van but it's extortionate, it's not worth it but if we don't have petrol then we have to look at alternatives. Good luck to that company :thumbs:

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

Be a better article if they bothered putting the correct conversion price of £6000 in the headline rather than buried halfway down the page...

That's how to grab attention. They got a car for X amount sold the parts and got the money back to offset the cost of conversation is not entirely £900 is it.

If they did a crate engine and basic battery setup for £900 they couldn't cope with demand. It's a cottage industry right now until things start going up in flames then the regulators will stop it.

But still they are not charging the extortionate £20-30k + everyone else is.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stanski said:

That's how to grab attention. They got a car for X amount sold the parts and got the money back to offset the cost of conversation is not entirely £900 is it.

Bit of a talking point I suppose ;) :lol:

• Haha 1

On 01/12/2020 at 22:37, stanski said:

Fab that's me all over. You know older EV conversations were just fork lift motors and the boggo lead acid batteries. No fancy Tesla motors with expensive powerful magnets.  I mentioned a while back you can get a kit for my air-cooled beetle and van but it's extortionate, it's not worth it but if we don't have petrol then we have to look at alternatives. Good luck to that company :thumbs:

while the govt should support businesses like these too....im only going to rate a company that looks into alternative fuel. Apparently a truck of hand sanitizers caught fire and exploded into a ball of strong Hollywood type flames in Cambridge. If that isnt proof there are possibilities I dont know what is. Alcohol, Spirits, Ethanol and Methanol are alternatives. Just getting them under control and the hardware to go with it.

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

On 03/12/2020 at 21:25, GranTurismoEra said:

I think we have to remember the UK is a small county compared to others and although the industrial revolution started here we are not running mills and factories on coal anymore. So comparitively speaking our emissions are a drop in the ocean compared to the big boys and girls with their big emission pants.

Car manufacturers might not be able to sell in the UK after 2030 but doesn't mean they can't to other countries who don't give a stuff or have not signed up to the relevant paperwork?(I may be wrong of course?)

I expect Aston sell more cars to footballers and the like abroad than here like Bentley and Rolls etc?

Maybe everyone will see what happens with Porsche and their synth fuel (sounds like a Blade runner thing) but I know companies like Mazda don't appear to be rushing to knock out EV only stuff, they still like petrol. :thumbs:

All we can do is sit and wait? I expect there will be more reports about the evils of EVs but they are here to stay so we have to accept them. I even see a need for those Citroen Ami leccie milk floats that 16 year olds apparently can drive!! 

But I also see companies like Porsche maybe jaguar and Bentley who accept they have to preserve their legacy /classic cars for posterity for no other reason there is a lot of money still in it? If all the Porsche 911 owners are suddenly told sorry we don't support you anymore, that's a lot of customers to lose and regardless of how good your ev product will be they will go under. 

• 2 weeks later...

how good would that be.

price it right up there so-
no more carpark roads.

no more having to try pick quiet times to drive and bike.(summer weekends before waking hours)

pay the toll take the ride.
just like the March lockdown pandemic national street raceway and outside of that was track days.

and then imagine the toll monitoring and billing authorities - hmm a Folkestone-Rye lap in hmmmm what happened the  system's on the blink again !!!???

meanwhile on the other side claiming oh yeah it's official i'm #1 !

good publicity stunt and distraction from other current failures but oh well back to reality. :)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, chips said:

how good would that be.

price it right up there so-
no more carpark roads.

no more having to try pick quiet times to drive and bike.(summer weekends before waking hours)

pay the toll take the ride.
just like the March lockdown pandemic national street raceway and outside of that was track days.

and then imagine the toll monitoring and billing authorities - hmm a Folkestone-Rye lap in hmmmm what happened the  system's on the blink again !!!???

meanwhile on the other side claiming oh yeah it's official i'm #1 !

good publicity stunt and distraction from other current failures but oh well back to reality. :)

Failures as in the big one starting 1st January :doh: God help us all.