Jump to content
Lolli pop

Hi - finally bought a 350z

Recommended Posts

After hankering after a 350z since launch and life keeping it just out of reach- finally got one which I will be collecting early next week. Can’t wait to get behind the wheel and enjoying it. Hopefully there won’t be too many expensive issues as it’s a 2005 vintage but pretty low mileage. Was really after a coupe but have ended up with a roadster, misses swayed it.
 

Things to sort out are getting it checked out to ensure all running ok, changing the Antiquated Bose Cassette system for a Bluetooth satnav- any recommendations /links for a suitable replacement?

 

Also looking at repairing the holes in the roof - is there a way to patch this up rather than replacing the fabric?

 

Look forward to joining this community and hopefully many years trouble free motoring

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome along

 

There is a whole ICE section on here have a browse through that you will see lots of head unit threads.

 

Post up photos of the damaged roof, then people on here can give a more informed answer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lolli pop said:

Also looking at repairing the holes in the roof - is there a way to patch this up rather than replacing the fabric?

 

 

Welcome to the Forum, :welcome:

 

unfortunately, patching the roof, really wont help much, as if its the OEM vinyl, it will shrink and harden, and will continue to get worse.

 

when i got mine, i factored in the price of a new roof.

 

the best place in the London area to get it replaced is Carhood Warehouse...the mohair option is the the best as its will give a 15-20 year life and will remain flexible and in good shape.

 

the only down side is its £800 fitted, but i can say from personal experience its well worth doing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replies. I will check out all the forums and hopefully be able to read up and learn before making important costly decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MONKEYSOCKS said:

I got the kenwood DMX- 7017DABS stereo last year, very decent piece of kit, and had no issues with it.

Thanks for recommendation. Was able to check this out at Halfrads today and there was another version 8017dabs. Couldn’t figure out the difference in the shop. Will do a bit more research. They were saying I need the steering wheel control £80 as well as installation kit because it’s a Bose system- but looking at my car it only has the cruise control on right hand side no stereo buttons??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mind is a little hazy but that would mean you have the non-GT pre-facelift roadster? You can do an 'ipod hack' (do a search on here) I believe where you run a cable out the back of the head unit to plug your iphone in if budget is tight?

 

I would be more concerned about the roof than the head unit right now, have you factored in a roof change into your budget? Or negotiated it with the seller (is it a dealer?) to get a bit of money off? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/10/2019 at 15:42, coldel said:

My mind is a little hazy but that would mean you have the non-GT pre-facelift roadster? You can do an 'ipod hack' (do a search on here) I believe where you run a cable out the back of the head unit to plug your iphone in if budget is tight?

 

I would be more concerned about the roof than the head unit right now, have you factored in a roof change into your budget? Or negotiated it with the seller (is it a dealer?) to get a bit of money off? 

Thanks for response. Yes negotiated a deal due to roof issue. Will look at replacing when funds available, but for time being wanted to tackle the old cassette player and make car hands free to be legal if I ever need to answer or make call. Also sat nav would be great to make sure I’m not late for work. Will search the iPod hack. Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/10/2019 at 12:14, Paul K said:

Welcome to the Forum, :welcome:

 

unfortunately, patching the roof, really wont help much, as if its the OEM vinyl, it will shrink and harden, and will continue to get worse.

 

when i got mine, i factored in the price of a new roof.

 

the best place in the London area to get it replaced is Carhood Warehouse...the mohair option is the the best as its will give a 15-20 year life and will remain flexible and in good shape.

 

the only down side is its £800 fitted, but i can say from personal experience its well worth doing

Thanks for your reply. Before committing to buying the car I did look into this and car hood is one of the companies - they are now charging £850. do you have photos of your new mohair roof? Will be saving up the pennies but with Xmas round the corner....


My car seems to have a canvas roof not vinyl - did different year z cars have different fabric for their roofs?


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/10/2019 at 08:58, coldel said:

Welcome along

 

There is a whole ICE section on here have a browse through that you will see lots of head unit threads.

 

Post up photos of the damaged roof, then people on here can give a more informed answer...

Thanks -Will check ice section. The holes are covered up with gorilla tape from previous owner and I am afraid of taking this off before I get the repair patches I ordered from ebay. I’ll take pics without the tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally picked up car and it drove very well on the way back. The gorilla tape held up. So far so good. Will take pics as soon as I can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lolli pop said:

My car seems to have a canvas roof not vinyl - did different year z cars have different fabric for their roofs?


 

if it looks like canvas, it will be the OEM roof....it is a vinyl roof with a layer of Canvas bonded over the top....the mohair roof, is based on a butyl rubber membrane with a cloth outer and inner, they remain much more flexible over time...I'll see if i can get some shots of mine with the roof up, nearly all are with the top down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here you go just after i had it done...you'll notice the roof is much "blacker"

zed1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/10/2019 at 11:12, Paul K said:

here you go just after i had it done...you'll notice the roof is much "blacker"

zed1.jpg

Thanks for photo. Does look good. My repair patches come today so will use this whilst I save for new roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/10/2019 at 11:12, Paul K said:

here you go just after i had it done...you'll notice the roof is much "blacker"

zed1.jpg

Thanks for photo. Does look good. My repair patches come today so will use this whilst I save for new roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a place called All hood ltd and spoke to them and they can create and install a black mohair hood for a very fair price, cheaper than car hood. Has anyone heard or used them? Looking at their website and speaking with them they seem quite well established.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

350z-uk.com

370z-uk.com

×
×
  • Create New...