Celica sold what next?

coldel

Bouncing some ideas around at the moment, I am almost set on another NA VX220 (although cars for sale at the moment are exceptionally thin on the ground) so just testing the water for anything else I might have overlooked. The VX will cost in the region of £10k-£11k so budget is around there...I have been throwing a cursory glance at

Earlier Boxster S 987

Z4 30i/35i - I like the look of the DCT too

This goes against my natural desires for rarer/kooky cars, but I cannot overlook that both seem like very accomplished cars for the price. Any alarm bells ringing for the above? Anything I have missed which could be an obvious candidate? I am thinking I would like a bit of fresh air above my head on the next car too.

987 usual concerns over bore scoring and IMS, but that you know. Get the sports seats but avoid the Bose. 

Z4 I really like, but you cannot see where the front end is at all from the driver seat. I found that disconcerting!

S2K would be on my list too. Elise too, as Lotus ownership is very different from VX, and for the better imho. If you’re looking at the 987 then I’d look at a 996 cab too, may not be the looker of the family but it’s still an amazing car and you get the flat six wail too :) 

I knew Dan would be all over the German thing :lol:

Elise S2 entry point is circa £14k for the really early ones so not sure I want to go there really, they are lovely cars but prices are a bit beyond what I want to spend. S2K just doesn't work for me, having drive a couple it feels a little bit too claustrophobic. 

I'm in a similar situation where I want to buy something fun to play around with. I'd have another Elise but good S2's like you say start at £14k and even good S1's fetch that money. 

Then I think should I just spend around £5k on an E85 Z4, mk3 MR2, MX5 etc..

Yes I have ummed and urred about maybe pocketing a few quid and getting something like an MG/MX5 etc. but not sure that will tick the box. I remember the old VX being an epic drive each time I got in it, which is why I sold the Celica, I wanted epic back. Its like getting into the cockpit of an F1 car and setting off!

51 minutes ago, coldel said:

I remember the old VX being an epic drive each time I got in it, which is why I sold the Celica, I wanted epic back. Its like getting into the cockpit of an F1 car and setting off!

I know exactly where you are on this ... oh and congrats on the GT4 sale - someone's bought a nice car

• Like 1

Yeah i was going to suggest a 996 too if the Boxter is on your list.  How about a Maserati?  Quite a few options within budget (3200, Quattroporte for something different).

Or more in the VX mould you could go full bonkers and go for a Caterham style?

8 hours ago, coldel said:

I knew Dan would be all over the German thing :lol:

Elise S2 entry point is circa £14k for the really early ones so not sure I want to go there really, they are lovely cars but prices are a bit beyond what I want to spend. S2K just doesn't work for me, having drive a couple it feels a little bit too claustrophobic. 

More claustrophobic than the VX, I was practically on Daves lap lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Humpy said:

More claustrophobic than the VX, I was practically on Daves lap lol

One of the downsides of ownership for sure imho, shared a very intimate session with Wazzo on track at Castle Combe, i was hankering for an Ultima GTR and was a big cross in a box as they arent much bigger than a VX inside.  

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

One of the downsides of ownership for sure imho, shared a very intimate session with Wazzo on track at Castle Combe, i was hankering for an Ultima GTR and was a big cross in a box as they arent much bigger than a VX inside.  

Maybe lay off the burgers then mate :lol:;)

5 hours ago, coldel said:

Pretty sure the Z4Ms are already going a bit high - I got lucky with the Celica selling it at around a 70% profit purchase>sale price but might have missed the boat on Z4Ms! 

Not missed the boat, they never dropped under 15K to start with. 

If youre buying anything with an N54 in it make sure wastegate issues have been sorted. And LPFP, HPFP, cams, injectors, continue ad infinitum ............

Thanks Doc, I have actually gone off the BMW idea now. For me something odd, different, unique is important in car ownership (hence the list in my sig) so have swerved back at VX220's. Actually looking at a couple of Elise's as I do have more cash to spend if I want to - but trying to be sensible!

3 hours ago, coldel said:

Maybe lay off the burgers then mate :lol:;)

If only that were the case, i am perfect jdm dimesions :lol:

40 minutes ago, coldel said:

Thanks Doc, I have actually gone off the BMW idea now. For me something odd, different, unique is important in car ownership (hence the list in my sig) so have swerved back at VX220's. Actually looking at a couple of Elise's as I do have more cash to spend if I want to - but trying to be sensible!

Think i would prefer the underdog of a Vx to be honest.

• Like 1