New TG presenters

coldel

I actually don’t mind Reid. He will only appeal to a few but at least he’s natural on screen. I like Harris but on the few episodes I did catch he looked out of his comfort zone when in dialogue. On his own in a car doing reviews he’s great

I think the issue with TG and GT is the content no matter how quick they can get the show to air, it's already late content. Auto Car, Auto Express, Car wow, Car Flection etc on Youtube will of had this review weeks, if not months ago. People want reviews as soon as possible and that's why Youtubers smash the content and upload at least bi weekly. They wouldn't do this if the views didn't want it. Standard broadcast cant do this as the filming would have been shot months ago.

Its like when GT Series 1, Episode 1 did the hypercar review, the La Farrari, P1 & 918. The content was old before it had even been released. This part of TG for example will always be its downfall sadly.

I genuinely cant believe anyone watches either for reviews or more so, is interested in said reviews with the intent to purchase and i think you perhaps need to check the viewing figures for the last Clarkson TG series, hardly a downfall.

You may well be right that people enjoy watching reviews on any of the formats you mention, but TG and GT are worlds apart and have been for many years and if you really take any interest in what some total and utter tool like shmee thinks of a car, you need your head looked at, that said, i wouldnt buy a car based on any review, if i like the drive i really couldnt care less. I like watching CH reviews, but just because he says a Porsche is great, doesnt mean i am going to go out and buy one. 

I personally today would much rather watch a new episode of Fifth Gear to Top Gear or Amazon's GT. Before moving to TG, Chris Harris on Cars was epic and for me the best Youtube based car reviewer.

I possibly also would buy a car on the strength of a few car reviews, ie long term test showing the real world performance, cost of ownership, reliability. Who wants to buy an unreliable sports car? and how do potential buyers gain information generally about a cars reliability? from reviews. Ever looked at a buyers guide before going to view a car? that's review.

Name me an unreliable sports car in this day and age? or at least the last 2 decades? I owned probably the most thought of unreliable car there was, an Rx7 (x 5) and they was utterly brilliant and not one of the "negatives" put me off, mpg, reliability etc etc and nearly got a Rx8 instead of the 350z which again was probably topping the list of least reliable sports cars of our time and funny Illokigal mentions Alfa, its hopefully going to be my next car, pretty much universally disliked.

I watch a few reviews from journalists i rate, but mainly just to hear their thoughts, sure if they said it was an absolute dog of a car it would make me think twice, but dont think there is such a thing in this day and age, cant remember many favourable reviews of the 370z Nismo, but most owners on here seem chuffed to bits.

But has been said many times with regards to TG, if you want reviews you mention the formats, TG & GT are not that, havent been that for a long time and 5th gear etc would kill for TG or GT ratings, old or new, i think you have mistaken the word downfall for success ;) 

Edited by Jetpilot

To be fair, i see your point, but perhaps from my view, maybe its an age thing (when cars were truly unreliable) and wont disagree those manufacturers arent without their niggles and flaws, but unreliable, not in my opinion and i could say that about my Rx7's, they never really let me down in regular fashion, but can understand where the stigma comes from.

• Like 1